Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 1, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #31,773 of 63,834
They seem to love this amp and for less than $5 they are friggin amazing or might we say VJJ = (Da) Bomb…
Which model is $5. Those look like the one with dual DD in a side by side configuration and those are like $15 on Ali. To keep on topic somewhat, didn't KZ make a dual DD side by side configuration model? What was it and how did it sound?

May 1, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #31,774 of 63,834
I bought the QKZ VK1 based on your endorsement and the marketing materials (graphene, ~1 tesla magnet, Helmholtz resonating double cavity??,…

So they're basically saying it's an IT01?

I purchased the ZhiYin Z5000 because of similar reasons. I was curious how much the technology had to do with the good quality sound of the iBasso IT01 and how much tuning and design choices made a difference. The Z5000 are not as good as the IT01 in my opinion but there most certainly are sonic characteristics in common between them. I'd be hesitant to try the QKZ though. I've always thought of them as an OEM for numerous brands that would then take the bodies and general design, type and number of drivers type stuff, and make their own inexpensive IEM that was in no way equal to the product they produced for whatever company it was.

May 1, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #31,775 of 63,834
Which model is $5. Those look like the one with dual DD in a side by side configuration and those are like $15 on Ali. To keep on topic somewhat, didn't KZ make a dual DD side by side configuration model? What was it and how did it sound?

Are you thinking of the QKZ KD4 (a poorer sounding clone of the UiiSii T8)?

Otherwise, KZ has never made a 2 x Dynamic where both were identical in size. All of their 2 x Dynamics have had slightly different sized drivers - ZS1, ZS2, ZN1, ZN1 Mini, ZSE, etc

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #31,776 of 63,834
I've always thought of them as an OEM for numerous brands that would then take the bodies and general design, type and number of drivers type stuff, and make their own inexpensive IEM that was in no way equal to the product they produced for whatever company it was.

Close. Not an OEM, but more of a private labeler (for the most part). So if I had excess stock of some IEM (usually a mediocre sounding, low end ChiFi), QKZ would be willing to repackage them for sale as "QKZs". Usually, they don't even bother to change the logos (for example, numerous Plextones) - just the packaging. They have very few (if any) of their own designs.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #31,777 of 63,834
Are you thinking of the QKZ KD4 (a poorer sounding clone of the UiiSii T8)?

Otherwise, KZ has never made a 2 x Dynamic where both were identical in size. All of their 2 x Dynamics have had slightly different sized drivers - ZS1, ZS2, ZN1, ZN1 Mini, ZSE, etc

HTB1sNKgIpXXXXXaXpXXq6xXFXXX8.jpg_640x640q90.jpg
HTB1qoueIpXXXXXHXpXXq6xXFXXXF.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

2 × ø8.5mm Dynamic Drivers

HTB1ykwbHpXXXXXiapXXq6xXFXXX7.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

HTB1DiKOHFXXXXcBXXXXq6xXFXXXH.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

My only pair.
10073499.jpg

I think Pod and B9 also have the DT5's.

The DT5 was released in 2015.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #31,778 of 63,834

2 × ø8.5mm Dynamic Drivers

My only pair.

I think Pod and B9 also have the DT5's.

I always thought the DT5 was a 1 x co-axial (aka 'dual') dynamic driver, vs 2 x single dynamic drivers (arranged in a push-pull)?

Co-axial 'dual' drivers like these examples:

cm5.jpg
dual-dynamic-driver.jpeg

coaxial dual dynamic.jpg

Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #31,779 of 63,834
I always thought the DT5 was a 1 x co-axial (aka 'dual') dynamic driver, vs 2 x single dynamic drivers (arranged in a push-pull)?

Co-axial 'dual' drivers like these examples:

Anyone know for sure?

KZ's broken english promotional material didn't give much more detail than what I have posted. Yours is an interesting theory, though.

I have only one pair of DT5's so pulling them apart isn't an option. Perhaps someone who knows a bit of Chinese could lend a hand and do the research.

In the mean time...
14531735-emoticon-bowing-down (0).jpg

...you may be right because the driver housings are on the small side.

*** EDIT ***

In the words of the inimitable DocHolliday, "I beg to differ".

Having given this matter further consideration perhaps the DT5 is equipped with something more akin to Audio Technica's "dual phase push-pull driver system".
612j3GAjhOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81G+XGEIkML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Consider the following:
1) Most Coaxial drivers are fashioned with one larger driver and one smaller driver.
10107539.jpg

TRN V10
bfc17433-1453-4adb-a869-9dd91ea1c6c8.jpg

2) Audio Technica's "dual phase push-pull driver system" are two drivers of the same size.
KZ's information specifies one size (8.5mm) for both drivers.
HTB1ykwbHpXXXXXiapXXq6xXFXXX7.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

This description is pulled from Audio Technica's website on their CKR SonicPro series IEMs.
Equipped with the world’s first dual phase push-pull driver system, the ATH-CKR10 in-ear headphones deliver high-resolution audio that’s true to the original sound. The unique push-pull system incorporates two facing 13 mm drivers that generate phase-aligned audio signals that are mixed to compensate for each driver’s inefficiencies, while providing an equal and tailored response without artificial coloration. By reducing intermodulation distortion, the push-pull drivers deliver extended frequency response for life-like sound.

This information was pulled from NewAtlas.com
The ATH-CKR10 models feature a metal-coated titanium housing, which should keep things nice and rigid to help cut down unwanted vibration. Each casing contains two 13 mm dynamic drivers offering a wide frequency response of 5 Hz - 40 kHz, 110 dB per mW sensitivity and impedance of 12 ohms. These out of phase drivers face each other for reduced harmonic distortion and improved response time.

Audio Technica says that the push-pull arrangement of the ATH-CKR10 in-ear headphones is similar to a design mainly used for subwoofers, where both drivers are mounted inside a ported enclosure and within internal baffles.

"The difference is that this design incorporates two full frequency response drivers rather than two low frequency response speakers," company engineers told Gizmag. "The HP drivers are wired out of phase while each driver is mounted in an internal baffle facing each other. The advantages of this design are lower harmonic distortion, increased output and power handing, improved bass frequency control and damping. The added benefit is even level transition through the mid and high frequencies with minimal increase in volume due to the smaller driver size and direct coupling to the ear canal. In more simple terms, the audio output signal from each driver is phase-aligned and mixed together to compensate for each driver inefficiencies while providing an equal and tailored response without artificial coloration."

According to the company, the listener should be treated to tight, controlled bass, clear and even mid-range vocal frequencies and pure, accurate high frequency response.

3) KZ's origins (engineer that defected from Audio Technica)

4) Timing of the DT5 release (2015) vs ATH-CKR SonicPro series (mid to late 2014)..
https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/news/9ed464e7dcb8921c/index.html

If the DT5 does indeed have two 8.5mm drivers in a "dual phase push-pull driver" configuration then it will likely be the first and only KZ with said technology.

Whichever turns out to be the case I'm glad I have them.

Attachments

• snob (0).jpg
    snob (0).jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #31,781 of 63,834
By this week, I guess I actually meant today! Thanks, USPS (maybe the first time I've ever written that :thumbsup:). First impressions: I agree with @loomisjohnson - the bass and mids as well as layering/imaging are impressive! I also wholeheartedly agree with the description of the highs as sounding somewhat artificial. There's an edge to the highs, which are a bit too sharp for my liking. Putting wide bore KZ Whirlwinds on them actually seemed to accentuate the artificiality to me, so I'm sticking with the default tips. A slight EQ adjustment to tone down the highest frequencies cut down the artificiality significantly, smoothing things out and making my music sound more pleasant and organic (maybe I'm just overly sensitive to sibilance or highs, I'm not sure). Fit-wise, the nozzles on these are huge! I typically like a deeper insertion but it's nearly impossible for me given the size. I'm using the medium tips because switching down to the smalls doesn't provide a good enough seal.

Early verdict: After reducing the treble slightly, these sound great! Very satisfied with my purchase. Given the nozzle size though, those with small ear canals may not find these super comfortable.
further listening with the zsr reinforces my initial impressions--they're an "exuberant" listen in the sense of throwing out a big, expansive sound. driver coherence isn't very good--the low end, in particular, tends to sound like a separate subwoofer rather than an integrated part of the whole--but they have a ton of prat and have a surprising amount of microdetail; they're excellent for prog, fusion and other densely recorded tunes and less well suited to acoustic fare. where they conspicuously trail the expensive models they're consciously aping is in accuracy and absence of coloration--these do not purport to reproduce the source precisely, but rather present a juiced-up, adrenalized version of the music. which, depending on my mood, suits me fine.

May 2, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #31,782 of 63,834

I must apologize as the V1 was around $15 at the time I bought them but my favorite AliEx seller let me have mine for $5.77 during the 11/11 sale back in 2015. As Slater says all the early double DD KZ iem's were mixed ie: 6mm & 10mm etc.

You are correct @DocHoliday , plus it would not have mattered how the DT5 sounded as I was in it for their cool looks and gold banding with the Chinese writing on them:yum:

DT5 Posing.JPG

May 2, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #31,784 of 63,834
Are any of the KZ dual, but different sized :), side by side designs worth having? The collector (or is that hoarder) in me wants a pair but only if it isn't a waste of the $10-$15 I'd guess they'd cost

For less than $10 I don't think the ZSE is a bad spend with it's 6.8mm and 8mm side by side:wink: My favorite dual KZ is the same drivers as the ZSE and of course that's the ZN1 Mini as they are big, light and powerful. Plus who does not love a big bronze garden hose:hushed: LOL

KZ ZN1 Mini.jpg

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #31,785 of 63,834
For less than $10 I don't think the ZSE is a bad spend with it's 6.8mm and 8mm side by side:wink: My favorite dual KZ is the same drivers as the ZSE and of course that's the ZN1 Mini as they are big, light and powerful. Plus who does not love a big bronze garden hose:hushed: LOL

I have always liked my ZSE. The design is interesting, they fit me well, and the sound is quite good...nice and airy. These are definitely underrated. I paid $8 that was money very well spent.

The big difference to their image is smaller than that of KZ's multi-driver hybrids, but it is robust and coherent.

I'll pull them out for a spin.

I just remember: I like the ZSE so much that I made my own tongue-in-cheek youtube review - Watched by almost 2000 people. And it got praise from Tyll Hertsens from innerfidelity.com.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back