1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. CoiL
    That`s one of reasons I never use EQ (not that its bad). I like to keep every link in chain untouched by software processing as much as possible.

2. DocHoliday

My go-to for android, but Wiljen's comments hit the nail on the head which is why I don't typically use EQing at all. One of the reasons I own dozens of IEMs is to avoid using an EQ at all costs.

Just personal preference.....not a wrong or right issue.
    Screenshot_2018-04-10-13-16-05.png Screenshot_2018-04-10-13-17-30.png

djmakemynight likes this.
  3. phower
    I think there is a unwanted aversion towards EQ. All music is heavily equalized during the mixing and mastering stages. No music is ever un equalized. Even in live performance, the sounds from individual mics are equalized.

riffrafff likes this.
  4. HungryPanda
    In that respect music is already equalized and mastered before it gets to the listeners ears

Adide likes this.
  5. paulindss
    I use equalizer ocasionaly to tweak tracks that don't match the signature of my iem's. I think it is valid. Not to tweak iem's, but to tweak the music for a better experience with the iem. I.e musics with too much energy in treble... This is easy when you listen to music in albums, and not in Shuffle.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Bartig and Mdclol like this.
  6. phower
    Screenshot_20180410-165909.png
    A parametric equalizer with a high Q value allows you to achieve that. The settings in the image attached is 200Hz down 6dB. 100 Hz and 300Hz are affected barely. May be around 0.1 dB.

From research, we know that it takes 0.5 to 1 dB change to be audible under ideal conditions. For any musical content, that change has to be atleast 1dB. So, a parametric equalizer allows you to do exactly what you are afraid of.

MDH12AX7 likes this.
  7. CardigdanWalk
    Stupid question time:

Trying to find a short (40cm) cable to use with KZ5,or KZ10 but all the ones I can find are 0.78mm.

Would this fit? I thought kz5 was 0.75mm but some places say 0.78mm in description.

Currently considering this:

http://s.aliexpress.com/zqYZzMnE

8. Vestat
    I'm not a professional but I've been in various recording studios during the recording and mixing process.
    Everybody has his own and personal way of listening music, they equalize their tracks depending on personal taste and, more important, depending on the gear they are using at that time.
    This means that the same band, recording the same songs, in two different studios can achieve two very different results.
    In addition to this, the purpose of this whole forum is to understand and share all the often minimal differences between different gears and ears.
    This is the reason why, in my opinion, the EQ has to be seen as one of the many aspect of music. Nobody can avoid it because is part of the music itself, since the very beginning.
    Another story is the abuse of it. but nobody is filling his ears with liquid silicone to get real 100% noise isolation. am I right? :wink:

SONGsanmanwah likes this.
  9. MDH12AX7
    phower is right on....
    I use parametric EQ all the time in the studio and in my Rockbox'd Xduoo X3. A higher Q value does make your adjustments more specific and focused on a narrow frequency range. One note tho... Higher Q values (narrow band) can get really artificial sounding when making large, (several dB's) of adjustment. Think wah wah pedal for guitar. It is essentially a hi Q adjustment (narrow band) with a large boost. The greater the cut or boost, the lower the q value needed to keep it musical sounding. I don't feel any remorse for using eq to alter the mix. Just keep it in moderation and enjoy.

Vestat likes this.
  10. Wiljen
    In theory you are absolutely correct, now measure the output and see what the reality is. No eq can perfectly correct a single frequency without impacting things on either side of it and even parametrics would have to know the driver type and specs to be able to fully optimize the process to get the best results. Rarely does the in the wild result match up to the lab result let alone the theoretical result which is why our responses differ.

CoiL and groucho69 like this.
  11. Ynot1
    Eq or no eq that is your perogative. Just don't use it in a review without proper disclosure. Be nice.

CoiL, djmakemynight and rayliam80 like this.
  12. phower
    Let me see whether I can run a linear sweep through this eq I just posted and then capture through my PC soundcard. I can probably analyze the resulting FR through audacity or sox. I don't expect to see a major changes around the centre frequency.

Will do it when I find some time.

13. Wiljen
    I have no doubt the high Q para will do better than other designs, but I would bet it is still 50-100Hz wide on the band it cuts or boosts and will be better or worse depending on the driver type in play. Dynamics seem to react better low frequency BA drivers to EQ as the entire BA seems to want to shift with the adjustment.

14. riffrafff
    Possibly an aversion to (post) digital EQ? I absolutely luvvve my Schiit Audio Loki Mini (analog).

20180407_113844.jpg

groucho69, CoiL and HungryPanda like this.
  15. Otto Motor
    If no eq, how else to make the treble of the ZS6 tolerable? Narrowing tip openings, micropore/transpore tape on nozzle, or impedance adapters...none of which work 100%.

The eq settings can be saved for individual iems.

photo_6.jpg