Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 9, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #30,256 of 63,834
A word of caution to those of you who are new to the thread. Be aware that some people that complain about KZ's hurting their ears is because they are connecting the cables incorrectly they way they are being connected in this video. If you are new to in-ear monitors with detachable cables then please refer to the included directions.

Inserting the cables backwards would make any IEM unbearable for more than two minutes.

When the cable is connected it should look like this.
How would even one manage to do that ? Aren't the sockets kind of "keyed", with a rounded side ?

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #30,257 of 63,834
How would even one manage to do that ? Aren't the sockets kind of "keyed", with a rounded side ?
The key isn't very obvious. What's worse you can plug them in backwards and get a solid connection which will lead you to believe that everything is correct. And that doesn't even address the quality control issues of incorrectly oriented sockets on the body nor incorrect wiring at the jack end.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #30,258 of 63,834
The driver shell on the set I received four days ago is red.
Ok. Thanks a lot!

This 2nd case with ATR having red shelled driver inside that is same as 5th gen ATE.
I`m suspecting that old ATR with blue shelled drivers are pretty much gone and all newer ones have actually 5th gen ATE driver inside (which sounds great imo).

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #30,259 of 63,834
The key isn't very obvious. What's worse you can plug them in backwards and get a solid connection which will lead you to believe that everything is correct. And that doesn't even address the quality control issues of incorrectly oriented sockets on the body nor incorrect wiring at the jack end.
Is poor QC that common ? Usually I can immediately hear the tinny and spread-out, out of phase sound, if one side has reversed polarity.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #30,260 of 63,834
Is poor QC that common ? Usually I can immediately hear the tinny and spread-out, out of phase sound, if one side has reversed polarity.
In some sense 'that' common is a subjective term. I can say that you can find posts here in this thread mentioning both issues. I believe that QC issues are more prevalent than I as a Westerner expect. I will even say that as an American I have a completely impossible belief that there should never be a QC issue. At least I'm aware enough about how unrealistic that is and have learned to accept the occasional problem as long as I can get satisfaction via customer service without lots of effort. But I can't say that an even higher than prevalent QC problem makes it too often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back