Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #30,211 of 63,640
Some killer deals on KZ IEMs: https://www.dhgate.com/store/category/earphone/19858469-ff8080814a2e9aa1014a3ed354160cd4.html

I've always wanted to hear the ED12 (reported as meh), so I figured here's my chance for under $3 (I'll just mod it if I don't like it, as ED12 uses a good driver). Also picked up some other goodies, including another pair of ZSRs. The carbon ZST is a great price too. No clue if the ZS5 is v1 or v2, and no clue if the ZS1 is v1 or v2. Please direct all such questions to the seller.

Disclaimer: I've ordered many things from dhgate, and never had a single problem. However, I have not ordered anything from this particular seller. If this seller turns out to be shady (as the prices seem too good to be true), I will just take it up with dhgate and/or Visa. Just like everything on every website, you are an adult so buy at your own risk (in other words, don't complain to me).

Also, as an added bonus, here's a few cool tracks to listen to while you are checking out the KZs. The tracks are free, and can even be downloaded (for free) as lossless wav files (which you can then convert to flac or mp3 or whatever):

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #30,212 of 63,640
Some killer deals on KZ IEMs: https://www.dhgate.com/store/category/earphone/19858469-ff8080814a2e9aa1014a3ed354160cd4.html

I've always wanted to hear the ED12 (reported as meh), so I figured here's my chance for under $3 (I'll just mod it if I don't like it, as ED12 uses a good driver). Also picked up some other goodies, including another pair of ZSRs. The carbon ZST is a great price too. No clue if the ZS5 is v1 or v2, and no clue if the ZS1 is v1 or v2. Please direct all such questions to the seller.

Disclaimer: I've ordered many things from dhgate, and never had a single problem. However, I have not ordered anything from this particular seller. If this seller turns out to be shady (as the prices seem too good to be true), I will just take it up with dhgate and/or Visa. Just like everything on every website, you are an adult so buy at your own risk (in other words, don't complain to me).

Also, as an added bonus, here's a few cool tracks to listen to while you are checking out the KZs. The tracks are free, and can even be downloaded (for free) as lossless wav files (which you can then convert to flac or mp3 or whatever):

The ED12 isn't a bad in-ear monitor but its sound signature is an odd one. The midrange is far too forward and the higher frequencies are somewhere backstage while the bass is full-on. Almost everything else KZ has released sounds better (I haven't heard the HDS2 or GR), so you'll probably use the housings to fashion something better.
61NGjnpK06L-2.jpg
61qax4xGY8L._SL1600_-1.jpg

Notice that my red is LEFT and my blue is RIGHT.
61DyiaQZL6L-1.jpg

I will eventually post a proper review of the ED12 only because this thread is very successful (20,000+ posts) and a full description of every KZ should be accessible from the search menu. As usual there will always be a link to B9's thorough reviews of each KZ as well.

https://thecontraptionist.blog/category/knowledge-zenith/

KZ GR
rBVaI1i5Bm6ABD_qAADbXYH2ntk904.jpg
rBVaJFi5Bm6AQYuRAADScF8z4sg817.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #30,213 of 63,640
Not to derail, but what are our options when this is done? I bought some Rock Zircons from the ROCK Official Store and am getting irritated with them. A week went by with no shipping update and messages being ignored. I finally contacted them on Facebook to find out that they're sold out of black and they asked if I can wait a week. I tell them that if they have white they can just go ahead and send those, and they mark my order as shipped shortly after. They also messaged me on AE saying it will take 25-40 days for the item to arrive, when the listed shipping method was ePacket. ePacket has always fallen within the 9-13 day delivery range for me from other sellers. I messaged them right back (Wednesday) but haven't got any word back, and my item is not even showing up in the 17track system yet. I just contacted them again on Facebook to ask what's up, and I'm really ready to just cancel at this point.

Again sorry for the derail, but this is literally the only thread I read or post in, and if there's a more appropriate place I'll take the discussion there. The funniest part about all of this is I ordered two pairs of EDR2s from another seller on the same day and they arrived yesterday (9 days, ePacket).

If you're ok to wait then wait , if not just dispute. Next time vote with your wallet who gets your dough

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #30,214 of 63,640
The ED12 isn't a bad in-ear monitor but its sound signature is an odd one. The midrange is far to forward and the higher frequencies are somewhere backstage while the bass is full-on. Almost everything else KZ has released sounds better (I haven't heard the HDS2 or GR), so you'll probably use the housings to fashion something better.

Notice that my red is LEFT and my blue is RIGHT.

I will eventually post a proper review of the ED12 only because this thread is very successful (20,000+ posts) and a full description of every KZ should be accessible from the search menu. As usual there will always be a link to B9's thorough reviews of each KZ as well.

https://thecontraptionist.blog/category/knowledge-zenith/

KZ GR
The KZ GR is awful in every respect: Way too heavy, keeps on falling out of the ear, and the sound is...meh.

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #30,215 of 63,640

6 dollars for a KZ ZSR, 16 for a ZS6? These deals look to good to be true...

Still: bought the black ZS6 even though the ZS10 will probably be better and the green ZSR. :)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #30,217 of 63,640
What cases? Also, how do the Superlux compare? I need some cheap headphones but now that i'm used to some quality, i don't want a hard downgrade.

I'm not talking about iem's, i'm talking about full over the ear headphones.

Superlux HD681 and HD668B are the best. (I have both), HD668B is slightly better (more balanced trebles + "3D" soundstage)
Allthough I have several KZ earphones including ZS6 & ZSR, I cannot compare head and ear-phones, not the same feeling nore same kind of sound,
but I believe ZS6 & HD668B are the best choice

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #30,219 of 63,640
The ZS5 v1 amping does not help. I added a 75ohm adapter to it, and I've ran it through my 3+ watt Pulse Infinity X on mid and high gain. Same recessed upper mid/lower treble sound. Needs EQ to bring it back and then it sounds half decent
ZSR is much better and responds well to slight EQ.

There is Your problem! ZS5v1 need low-output impedance source, low-impedance cable and rather more mA than voltage. 70ohm adapter "kills" any opportunity to make it sound "right".

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #30,221 of 63,640
KZ ATR = insane value for the money. only annoying thing is a slight peak in the transition between the upper mids to lower treble. Other than that, The thing is freaking awesome. Note that even my periodic be has some weirdness in the upper mids to low treble.

My ATR shipped a few days ago from China. Looking forward to it, especially after reading your impressions,.

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #30,222 of 63,640
Not to derail, but what are our options when this is done? I bought some Rock Zircons from the ROCK Official Store and am getting irritated with them. A week went by with no shipping update and messages being ignored. I finally contacted them on Facebook to find out that they're sold out of black and they asked if I can wait a week. I tell them that if they have white they can just go ahead and send those, and they mark my order as shipped shortly after. They also messaged me on AE saying it will take 25-40 days for the item to arrive, when the listed shipping method was ePacket. ePacket has always fallen within the 9-13 day delivery range for me from other sellers. I messaged them right back (Wednesday) but haven't got any word back, and my item is not even showing up in the 17track system yet. I just contacted them again on Facebook to ask what's up, and I'm really ready to just cancel at this point.

Again sorry for the derail, but this is literally the only thread I read or post in, and if there's a more appropriate place I'll take the discussion there. The funniest part about all of this is I ordered two pairs of EDR2s from another seller on the same day and they arrived yesterday (9 days, ePacket).
In my opinion you should cancel it right now, I'll tell you my case: After reading so many good feedback about them and reading the audiobudget review i was most than sold. I was completely new in that time so my knowledge about brands and sound etc was null so , since every said good things about them i had to buy them. (the conversation goes from bottom to top)

1proof.JPG 2proof.JPG

as you can see they completely ignored my request of sending the white version and they ask for a 5star feedback after all the problem , or dont leave one at all.What a joke.

I got a DHL track number that didnt work in all this time.

pls cancel that and buy a better IEM.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #30,223 of 63,640
My ATR shipped a few days ago from China. Looking forward to it, especially after reading your impressions,.
Don't get me wrong, they aren't full size headphone killers but they were definitely ridiculous for the price and in the IEM world even more ridiculous since there are so many bad iems even at the above 500 dollar price range.

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #30,225 of 63,640
Don't get me wrong, they aren't full size headphone killers but they were definitely ridiculous for the price and in the IEM world even more ridiculous since there are so many bad iems even at the above 500 dollar price range.

Having never heard an IEM above $100 I had no idea that ones above $500 could be bad. I am happy to stick with less expensive ones. I like what I have. My most expensive one is my iBasso IT01 at $100. I love it. I do not intend to buy any others at that price or above. I would be very upset if I spent that much or more and then hated it. Price certainly does not predict quality in my experience.

I am just curious to hear the ATR because people were talking about it recently. I have no huge expectations. I paid £5 on Amazon UK but it is coming from China. Probably could have gotten it slightly cheaper on Aliexpress but not by much. I can return it to Amazon if mine is horrible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back