Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #30,181 of 63,834
Is there any equivalent brand to KZ on headphones?
There are uiisii, trn, memt that do good heaphones
Anyway, they're not as good as kz in price/quality except some cases.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #30,182 of 63,834

What cases? Also, how do the Superlux compare? I need some cheap headphones but now that i'm used to some quality, i don't want a hard downgrade.

I'm not talking about iem's, i'm talking about full over the ear headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #30,183 of 63,834
What cases? Also, how do the Superlux compare? I need some cheap headphones but now that i'm used to some quality, i don't want a hard downgrade.

If you are interested in inexpensive full sized headphones here is a thread. Right now they have been talking a lot about modding but if you ask there people will help you. I do like my Superlux HD 681 Evo very much.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-on-or-over-ear-headphones.822184/

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #30,184 of 63,834

I think he was looking for full sized headphones not earphones (IEMs). Those companies do not do headphones do they?

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #30,185 of 63,834

Maybe check out the Philips SHP9500S headphones? $58 from New Egg w/ free 2-day shipping in the US. Pretty nice open-back 'phones, IMO.

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #30,186 of 63,834

The standard Superlux hd 681 (non evo) are some of my favourite headphones still. Some people find them over bright, but i think they're amazing value for money as can be picked up really cheap at times.

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #30,187 of 63,834
ZS5 v1 again: making them work and getting Coiled!

We had this discussion over and over again here about the sound of the ZS5 v1. Some, including some reviewers, decried nasal, hollow, recessed mids. Others, such as Coil love them. Coil pointed out to us that he uses a very special array of equipment that brings out the best of the ZS5 v1. This includes low-impedance output and substantial amping. And thanks to Coil, we had to learn about impedance...a very useful exercise.

What has never been questioned was that the ZS5 v1 have good soundstage and layering.

My iPhone 5S as well as my audioquest dragonfly dac/amp do have low output impedance, but the ZS5 v1 nevertheless sounded tinny, incoherent, and heterogenous.

I finally followed Coil's second advice and attached my iPhone 5S to the good old FiiO E12 Montblanc amp and...voila...the ZS5 v1 actually sound pretty good with it: lots of width and depth, voices are coming out nicely, overall with a good fluidity. Don't know why and how and may have to create a frequency response curve for this setup.

In any case a very interesting observation.

My advise to all dissatisfied ZS5 v1 owners: blow $150 on a decent amp to get these $25 jewels to work well, finally. Or throw them away and spend the $150 on beer. :)

P.S. Also attached my ZS6 to the Montblanc amp...technically even better than the ZS5, but the amping also exacerbated the ZS6's piercing treble.

I use the zs5 with topping nx1s and starving student. The zs5 sound really good.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #30,188 of 63,834
Maybe check out the Philips SHP9500S headphones? $58 from New Egg w/ free 2-day shipping in the US. Pretty nice open-back 'phones, IMO.
Yes, I have them and also the Sennheiser HD600, for example. The Philips are excellent! But they are "very open back"...you can hear them all over the house.

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #30,190 of 63,834
Apr 7, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #30,194 of 63,834
only 3 color atm : black, blue, red
but I'll wait for the purple tho
HTB1Dz3TfDtYBeNjy1Xdq6xXyVXad.jpg

The black is more readily available i think.
My order on black ZS10 was already shipped, but the blue one is still processed (from different seller)

Apr 7, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #30,195 of 63,834
The black is more readily available i think.

If I get the ZS10 I will get the red. My husband already has a black one coming. Will wait and see how his sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back