1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. Wiljen
    @Slater is probably on the money on the cable. The Kz made upgrade versions have been about as good as the rest of the lower priced replacement cables in my experience.

as for the @stmiller 'Bye bye Sibilance', I am not at all sure that moving the driver slightly rearward from the nozzle will reduce sibilance appreciably without making the sound signature much darker in the process. With Kz having a tendency toward bright signatures, I cant see them reducing that to the degree that it creates a warm/dark iem.

2. Slater
    No, not Knowles models, but rather made for KZ by Bellsing (a large Chinese BA manufacturer), and given the same model numbers.

The specs are basically the same as the Knowles versions, which is why Bellsing gives them the same model numbers (ie to make it easier for IEM manufacturers to select a Bellsing model).

Although there has always been speculation that Knowles actually contracts out at least some of their BA driver manufacturing to Bellsing, but this has never been proven (yet).

HungryPanda and DocHoliday like this.
  3. Wiljen
    So the 30095 is the high and the 50060 is mids? I know the Knowles 30095 is considered a high frequency driver so am assuming this runs in parallel.

4. Slater
    Nope, no one knows yet.

But in the past, KZ has never released marketing promo shots of IEMs with non-stock cables. For example, the ZS3, ZST, ZSR, ZS5, ZS6, ED12, and ES3 have all been ONLY photographed by KZ with the cables they included stock (which have all been black 2-pin cables; some with and without mics).

The ZS10 is the 1st IEM they have photographed with an "upgrade" cable. Since no one can tell the future, and rather must postulate future events based on past evidence, there is a high liklihood that the stock cable of the ZS10 IS the one in the marketing photos (ie the steel grey "upgrade" cable). The fact that the ZS10 is their flagship IEM lends even more evidence to the hypothesis.

Care to wager a cookie? :cookie::cookie:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    DocHoliday likes this.
  5. Slater
    Hmmm, I'm not so sure I agree.

Every IEM KZ has used the 30095 on has exhibited sibilance to some degree. I honestly don't know why they keep cramming the 30095 into every single model they make. They must have got a good deal on eleventy-billion of them, and figured "what the heck, let's just use them up by putting them in everything - 2 at a time if we need to!"

We shall find out soon enough...

djmakemynight likes this.
  6. stmiller
    @Slater, really hope you're right.

I don't want to spend precious funds chasing cables anymore.

7. Slater
    Totally depends on the crossover.

They could in theory tune the crossover so that the 30095 BA only produces below 125Hz, and the dynamic driver only above 10k. It wouldn't make any sense to do it that way, but the point is that the crossover is the thing that will determine what driver(s) do what.

8. oyobass
    Theoretically, spreading the sound between several BA drivers means each driver isn't as stressed when driven hard, reducing the effects of driver distortion.
    This would work whether the crossover sends an identical signal to both high and another to both midrange BAs, or a seperate frequency range to all four.

I am extrapolating here from PA system design, (otherwise known as a wild guess), but it should work the same way... What I don't know is whether the comb filtering that happens when combining multiple larger drivers in a PA system applies to the tiny drivers in an IEM.

My (wild guess) thought is that since comb filtering is reduced when drivers are less than the frequencies that they reproduce wavelength apart, there should be much less problem with four BAs occupying less than a quarter inch of space.

In actuality, implementation is everything, as @Slater was saying. All the guessing in the world, even educated guessing, won't tell us what the ZS10 will sound like based on the photos we've seen.

Just musing and wondering out loud...

9. riffrafff

I have some New Bee cases, but many of my tips (other than the New Bee tips, of course) are either too tight or too loose to fit properly on the little case nubs. And some, like the triple-flange tips, are too tall to allow the case lid to close without smooshing the tips.

oyobass likes this.
  10. Aparker2005
    I'm trying to place an order for the ZS10 on Ali express for $31 and my card security keeps not approving the purchase :/

I'm in the US, any idea ?

11. HungryPanda
    I had that problem with one store recently when using my mobile phone but soon as I went home and connected to my home wifi the purchase went through ok

12. mbwilson111
    Call the card company and tell them to allow it.

13. Aparker2005
    And we expect up to 6 weeks for delivery to the US on these usually right? First time ordering here

I got my zst and es3 from Amazon They're absolutely wonderful iems for playing drums live. Can't wait to see how these zs10s work out.

14. oyobass
    Another great KZ for drums is the KZ ZS3, pretty inexpensive, too.

It is about the best isolating IEM I have used, especially with foam tips. It has great bass and good treble without so much of the somewhat excessive sizzle of the hybrid models.

If they fit you, they I'm told they are very comfortable. I had to sand down the "bump" on the part that faces the ear to make them work for me, but I wasn't issued a standard set of ears, lol.

15. Aparker2005
    I was gonna order from Amazon but if I can get them for $31 with a coupon from audiobudget, I'd rather not pay the $62.

I wonder if Amazon will take just as long being they're so new?

Thanks for the recommendation up above! This thread is great

oyobass likes this.