1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. nxnje
    So far.. are there any news about the new kz series?
    I really wanna buy a new pair (memt x5 now as daily driver) to pair with my incoming AGPTEK m20, but the only one interesting is the zsr that is very similar to zs3 when it comes to the shape, and that was really uncomfortable to me.

2. Makahl
    [​IMG]

So no tubing and dampers on ZS10? Tbh, expected. I can imagine that would drastically slow down their production. At least BAs aren't placed at the nozzle now differently than the previous models. I really hope this model will be an upgrade over a side-grade.

3. paulindss
    Anyone here will receive trn v20 in a few days ?

I'm afraid of finishing the order. If only i received my iem's fast i could be a guinea pig. But If i order now i Will receive with like 90 days anyway.

Lifted Andreas and Saulo Jonas like this.
  4. Slater
    Thanks.

I use a Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Microphone, and a modified 3cc syringe for the coupler.

The IEC 711 standard specifices a 1.26cc volume to simulate the volume of the average human ear canal. The ID of the 3cc syringe is close to the same diameter of an ear canal, and it is graduated with accurate markings so it was easy to cut it down to the proper 1.26cc volume. I added a small o-ring to the iMM-6 microphone, which fits so securely and air tight in the plunger end that I don't even need to use any sort of tape to seal it.

I also drilled small hole in the side of the syringe, which I cover with a small piece of tape. Before I insert an IEM, I peel back the tape (exposing the hole), so that the air pressure equalizes (and I don't get driver flex etc). Then I insert the IEM, reseal the hole with the tape, and take my measurements.

The iMM-6 microphone was $24. The coupler, oring, and tape was free.

For measurements, I use an iOS app called AudioTools ($20). The app allows the loading of the Dayton Audio calibration file (which you download from the Dayton Audio website).

There's also a PC program called REW, which I plan to try but haven't had the time yet. Down the road I also plan to upgrade to a better mic, and I would like to make a full size headphone rig as well. But for now the iPhone/AudioTools/iMM-6 method was inexpensive, is quick and easy to use, highly portable, and seems to be fairly accurate.

IMG-1329.JPG
    IMG-1330.JPG
    EDSE-stock.png

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Adide, rendyG, rayliam80 and 6 others like this.
  5. bsoplinger
    A heads up about that 15 pair of Starlines for a buck or whatever crazy price they were… Mine arrived, M and L, and they're identical to the newer black ones from recent KZ purchases. @Slater was right though, the older slightly translucent thus greyer in color ones are softer but the black ones aren't hard, just not as malleable.

6. CoiL
    Mess with port hole sizes and use wide-bore tips.
    Damn, cheap and good enough to make Your own comparative graphs for judging Your own hearing, taste and "wanted" IEM signature. I may have to contact You about this setup. Want to try this.

Slater likes this.
  7. rendyG
    The Dayton makes awesome things, unfortunately I can't find anything similar in EU.. The shipping would cost me more than mic itself. :frowning2: So I'm using cheap uncalibrated mic for now...
    I use similar setup, vinyl tube approx. 26mm long with 6mm inner diameter. It should equal a human ear and it resonates at 3kHZ, so I believe it.
    Clever idea with that taped hole.

It is nice to have a rig for modding I hope we will come up with some new interesting ideas!

Slater likes this.
  8. TLDRonin
    Link?

9. CoiL
    Didn`t want to hear this. Change of plans.
    I wonder if some of You guys have used soft animal leather (waxed/oiled) inside tube to mimic human skin?
    Sorry for OT.

10. Infected Mushroom
  11. Slater
    I’m certainly no expert, but keep in mind the industry standard (iec 711) coupler is a big hunk of solid stainless steel.

I don’t know how useful it would be to find a human skin analog. Maybe it would matter; maybe not. But there are a lot of people that use tubes (silicone, vinyl, etc). I’m sure leather would work, assuming you could get an airtight seal.

I know full size headphones setups do take into account the outer ear, and even incorporate a simulated ear on the measurement rig. There’s some great articles on the topic if you’re interested. I don’t know how much of it carries over to IEMs though, as those are directly inside of the ear canal.

My take on it is that I’m only interested in doing FR measurements on my own gear, even if my setup doesn’t produce results that perfectly match a manufacturer’s FR graph.

My goal was to setup something that produced as repeatable and consistent results as possible. The graduated syringe tube coupler is clear, so allows me to not only measure the exact volume inside the coupler, but to help ensure I insert the IEM to the exact same depth every time.

ALL materials, even your own ear, have resonances at certain frequencies. Some materials are in theory better than others. My understanding is that the ideal setup is one that moves the resonant frequencies out the 'normal' frequency range (preventing an influence on frequencies you’re ultimately measuring).

I think my coupler has a resonance in the lowest sub bass region. If you look carefully at my graphs, they always have a section of the graph that is comprised of very small amplitude “jagged” lines in the lower sub bass region. Since everywhere else is smooth, I’m thinking that perhaps the jagged section is a resonance. I am going to try using a clear silicone tube to see if the jagged lines in that region go away.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  12. rendyG
    You can buy it from Ebay here for approx. $40 shipped. I´m still not sure if this is gonna be a good investment in the future..

13. Slater
    I’m not sure what you mean by this.

The vast majority of hobbyists use the iMM-6 calibrated microphone. It works extremely well, is affordable, and is natively recognized/supported with most (if not all) of the commonly used measurement applications.

14. nkramer
    iMM-6... even works with some netbooks. (the pin configuration on the plug is standard "mobile" ring order, which is a little different than standard desktop mic/speaker inputs)

Slater likes this.
  15. rendyG
    Sorry if I haven´t expressed myself clearly. iMM-6 is great product, I still think you can measure even full-size headphone with it.
    By investment i ment I can have for example Tinaudio T2 for the same price, tough decision :D