1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. groucho69
    What he said. :arrow_up:

2. base08
    Following very closely this detective case on "the elusive KZ ZS6 v2"

Joking aside, sorry if I kickstarted and derailed the thread to the V1 vs mythical V2 discussion, on what was before, a productive, ongoing talk about the KZ ZSR feedback and overall impression...

3. Otto Motor
    I noticed that the red ones were offered substantially cheaper than the grey ones at gearbest early this month. Could it be that the grey ones are the allegedly improved model?.

P.S. I just checked: and now the great ones are substantially cheaper than the grey ones. Makes no sense.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  4. Cruelhand Luke
    Has anyone tried applying sorbothane to the back of a KZ IEM? @Slater have you ever sorbed a ZS5 or something?

5. Slater
    OK, hold on to your pants folks; there's definitely something weird going on.

After studying these photos of the grey one, I am seeing a few subtle differences. Initially, I thought "ah HA! Proof of ZS6 v2!". Well, not so fast.

After thoroughly examining internals of PREVIOUS ZS6, it seems there has ALREADY been (at least) 2 versions of the ZS6, and for a WHILE NOW. In other words, BEFORE the grey 'extra bass' version; all the way back to 'regular' ZS6s purchased in September 2017 and before!

1. There are (2) different 6mm midrange dynamic drivers.

The original one had the driver vent in the CENTER - the same one used on both ZS5 v1 and ZS5 v2. Pay attention to the little round white 'filter' on the back of the driver: Here's what it looks like (BLACK ZS6 in these examples):
    midrange closeup.png
    ZS5v2 ZS6 Resistor - Edited.jpg

The other type has the driver vent OFFSET to one side. Pay attention to the little round white 'filter' on the back of the driver (GREEN and RED ZS6 in these examples):
    Screenshot 2018-02-26 at 7.02.28 PM.png
    14 - Edited.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-02-26 at 7.10.21 PM.png

And finally, here's the photo posted today of the GREY 'extra bass' ZS6:

_20180226_222722 - Edited.jpg

2. The 2nd difference is a small 200 ohm SMD resistor attached to the 6mm midrange dynamic driver. It appears there's (2) variations.

ZS6 WITH the 200 ohm resistor:
    midrange closeup.png ZS5v2 ZS6 Resistor - Edited.jpg

And ZS6 WITHOUT the 200 ohm resistor (including the grey 'extra bass' model in the 2nd photo):
    14 - Edited.jpg
    _20180226_222722 - Edited.jpg

Now, the photos don't lie - there are differences between ZS6.

However, the sample size is too small (at this time) to know the following:

1. What sound differences there are between the 2 versions.
    2. If there are MORE than 2 versions (ie if the grey 'extra bass' version is actually a 3RD VERSION).
    3. If all of a specific color is configured like X or Y, or if it's completely random.
    4. What effect the 200 ohm resistor controls with regards to the sound.
    5. What the BA configuration is - it is currently unknown (ie proof) if there's anything other than the BA configuration of 2x30095 (evidenced by the photo below). There may be a different configuraton, but at this point the only way to know will be to physically remove the BAs and look. You can't tell by just peeking down the nozzle.

BA_KZ.JPG

hakuzen, paulindss, Niqeres and 10 others like this.
  6. zazaboy
    i thought the cheaper red version of KZ zs6 back then was v2 .. And some users reported here that the treble got fixed with smoother sound signature on the red KZ zs6 .. I hope i did the right decision to buy red version ... Anyway we will see soon

7. zazaboy
    what about the sound which one is better or are they the same in sound signature.. thanks for info

8. mbwilson111
    I have had my green ZS6 since last October. I am happy with the sound of mine but have no idea if all the green ones are identical.

No, I am not opening them!

groucho69, HungryPanda and DocHoliday like this.
  9. Slater
    Not sorbothane, but I have been experimenting with coating the inside of rear covers of certain IEMs with a thick rubberized coating (brushed-on plastidip, in multiple layers) to provide isolation and absorb reflections.

I've had good luck with coating the rear (inside) of full size headphone driver cups, so I figured I'd try the same method with IEMs. The nice thing about plastidip is that it's easy to apply, has the ability for a controllable application, and provides complete coverage of surfaces (vs cutting/fitting dynamat, elastomeric foam, sorbothane). It's also non-destroctive, and 100% removable by simply peeling it off.

So far I have not noticed much on IEMs, however that doesn't mean there aren't any (it just may not be that noticeable to me).

Lately the type of tuning mods I've been interested in are becoming more and more granular and subtle, and I've desired a way to approach the tuning more scientifically. I am currently working on a FRR measurement setup that will allow much better control over the effect of tuning mods.

CoiL likes this.
  10. Slater
    I've never heard that information. All of the initial colors were released at the same time last year (black, red, green). The only change to the ZS6 lineup was the introduction of the grey color, which replaced the discontinued green color. That happened in December.

Do you have links to the where the 'red is different' info was discussed? Thanks.

Sorry friend, I don't have the answer yet, as my grey 'extra bass' ZS6 hasn't arrived yet.

That's why in my post I wrote:

"However, the sample size is too small (at this time) to know the following:

1. What sound differences there are between the 2 versions."

11. Otto Motor
    I spend 5 minutes on the "Slater mod" replacing the stock nylon grilles with metal mesh on the KZ EDR2. Now I have been struggling for the last 20 mins to figure out the sonic difference.

The biggest difference I hear when inserting the same set differently. Very confusing.

EDR2 mod.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    hakuzen likes this.
  12. NeonHD
    Yeah I saw that horrid treble spike on the graph, it's nearly as 'peaky' as the ZS6.

13. NeonHD
    My red ZS6 sure didn't sound like it had a tame treble. I did a rough FR measurement a while ago and that 10Khz treble spike was still very dominant:

[​IMG]

14. durwood
    Here is my ZS5v2 compared to the ZS6 black I just received a few days ago. White=ZS5 Blue=ZS6 It appears most of the difference lies between 1500-5Kish and the treble peak slightly shifted higher in the ZS6, or just a measurement variation.

Screenshot_2018-02-26-20-20-47.png

hakuzen and paulindss like this.
  15. SomeTechNoob
    There's probably still a lot of black and red stock floating around. If we want to determine if there is actually a new revision, we need some gray ZS6s tested.