Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. Makahl
    I remember seeing something similar some time ago in this thread but I gave this method a chance today:

Wow! ZST fits like a glove now. My left ear canal is slightly smaller so I needed to adjust every time the fit otherwise it'd sound muffed/blocked but now fitting is excellent. Also, I've covered the nozzle with a damping material (silica gel bag fabric) and now 0 problems regarding sibilance.

Oh.. Btw, I liked the result using Comply T-400 as @Francisk has suggested many times but the durability and price is a deal breaker for me (maybe because I've been using ZST as workout IEM) so I'll stick with this Sugru + damping solution.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Francisk, hydroid and oyobass like this.
  2. Cruelhand Luke
    Someone should warn you before you get into KZs that you are going to have to STORE these things or they will become a tangly desktop nightmare...and cases are fine and all for travel, but you can't SEE the IEMs....
    so I got these at the dollar store....
    1-IMG_20171231_183548.jpg
    and then did this:

1-IMG_20171231_200655_232.jpg
    1-IMG_20171231_201017_148.jpg

3. TLDRonin
    Can't wait to see reviews roll in for the ZSR

4. TLDRonin
    What promo?

5. HungryPanda
    Gearbest will have a promo

6. Selenium
    I might pick up the ZSR. KZ stuff just tends to punch so far above its price point, I doubt I won't be getting my money's worth.

7. CoiL
    Soundwise - I already see ZSR as "fail" because both BAs in nozzle in front of driver (blocking sound of DD) :confused: ...but I still want the shells, LOL:smile:

Strat Rider and paulindss like this.
  8. paulindss
    Those 2 ba's in the noozzle also bothers me, i am skeptical.

9. Slater
    In other words, a ZST with an additional BA in the nozzle (like the ZST needs to be any brighter LOL).

Doesn't make any sense to me, but until the ZSR starts shipping and people report in, it's anyone's guess as to what it sounds like. I have my suspicions though...

10. bsoplinger
    I expect that it'll sound much like the ZS6, from mids through highs at least. I'm guessing the same xover with just one dynamic driver to fill in everything below instead of a pair like the ZS6. Its a shame because the initial ZS5 seemed like a step in a good sounding direction and subsequent steps have been for the worse.

CoiL likes this.
  11. snip3r77
    It will definitely be "good" but we have only a pair of ears. We need to upgrade rather than side grade, imho

Strat Rider and Slater like this.
  12. BrunoC
    Yes, but true head-fiers don't do only what they need.
    They do what they want.... which is buying just a couple more iems :smile_phones: They just can't resist.

13. razorpakk
    I think (especially for those into Chi-Fi) it's like having a watch collection: everyday you pick a different one to take out.

14. Mellowship
    I have been "downgrading" lately... From FiiO x3II to Benjie S5, from ZS5 v1 to ZS3, from foamies to plain silicones... Been using the ZS3 for 3 weeks straight. Nothing else (except full-sized cans when at home). They are amazing when used correctly. But they are tricky in every aspect. Just stick some tips with a narrower bore and they will muffle. Don't even think of Sony hybrids, they will become bass cannons with almost no mids and treble. The original cable also sucks, mainly for its tangliness. Not every source suits them well (the Benjie does a good work though).

IMG_20180103_105328.jpg

15. Slater
    Good points.

What tips are those?

Also, if you swap the red nylon mesh with some stainless mesh (or just completely remove the red mesh and run open nozzles), you'll upgrade the sound of the ZS3 for cheap :)