1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. khighly
    Here's a lesson as to why you should never trust first impressions, and because these are so cheap, just buy them yourselves.

Over the past week (even though I had an ear injury unrelated to IEM's) ZS6's have greatly improved. They sound like the ZS5v1's with a bit of a harsh high end. Over time your brain/ears adjust to it and while it still stays very prevalent, it does tone itself down. I find that it's a very narrow frequency range that really pings the ears, and some songs you have to turn down. $40 for this is worth it for the shells alone.

I'll give a more detailed review later, but my ear still hasn't fully recovered.

[​IMG]

2. CoiL
    nvm, I already found what Slater did to his ZS3. Will do that tomorrow. Wonder why the heck they did put that foam in there?

Btw, I`m not sure but maybe ZS3 has been updated - I got it with nice white cardboard box not like older ones in black.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  3. Slater
    Here you go buddy: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1161#post-13476376

Here's something interesting that I just noticed when I re-read my ZS3 foam mod post. At the bottom of the post I wrote this:

"P.S. - To the advanced IEM builders/modders out there, as you can see from the exploded diagram this would be an excellent host for turning into a hybrid DD + BA. The shell is easy to open, it's comfortable as heck, and there's plenty of room inside for a crossover in the shell & a BA driver inside the nozzle tube. Looking at the above photo, it almost looks as if KZ was planning that all along, and it wouldn't surprise me if a "ZS4" comes out as a hybrid using this same shell as they already have the shell tooling."

Spooky prediction! WooOOoooOOoo spoooOOoky haha

psychic.jpg

Also @CoiL, if you have the shell apart note that I already measured the shell for a driver swap. The stock driver is 8mm (the "red" one ie I think the same red one used in the ATE). There's a driver "frame" that will perfectly fit up to a 9mm driver. If you grind out the driver "frame", there's room for a 10mm driver. That opens up a lot of possibilities...

4. Slater
    I've had the shells open. I can't remember what I used - I think it was a thin metal guitar pick or maybe a non-serrated butter knife. A metal spudger tool would work also. You just gotta be sure to go slow and carefully all around the seam to break the glue seal

Once I had a look see of the inside (poking around, taking measurements, checking for crushed sound tubes, etc), I sealed them back up with a thin bead of Lazer Bond along the entire seam (of course making sure to leave the vent hole intact.

5. Slater
    Who knows. They are so much better without the foam. Why they would intentionally ADD veil and bloat and REMOVE clarity and better mids is beyond me.

Pretty cool that they are updated with the white box. Probably in preparation for the upcoming ZS4.

I wonder if they tweaked the ZS3 (in the white box) any? KZ loves quietly doing revisions without telling anyone...

6. oyobass
    M
    My ZSTs received recently from Gearbest and Amazon had white boxes. I think it is just a new standard.

They didn't have a different sound signature from those I had purchased earlier, so at least they don't seem to have any factory updates... the ZS3 could be an entirely different situation, though.

Slater likes this.
  7. Saoshyant
    Maybe it's time for me to buy a second ZS3 as I still have the original, so I can remove the foam and give it a go.

8. bsoplinger
    How did this work? I thought that type of glue used UV light to cure. How would the light get inside the opaque plastic shell?

9. Slater
    You run a micro bead of Lazer Bond all along the seam from the outside of the shell. You do it in sections, maybe 5mm at a time, until you’ve gone all the way around (obviously skipping the vent hole and the 2-pin plug areas).

Imagine the seam is like the Grand Canyon, and the plateau on each side of the Grand Canyon is the 2 halves of the outside of the shell. You fill the Grand Canyon in with Lazer Bond, until it’s level with the plateaus.

If that doesn’t make sense, I can take photos and show better. The ZS3 doesn’t generally photograph well at all, since it’s glossy black.

bsoplinger likes this.
  10. Slater
    They were $2.99 a week or 2 ago using a coupon code in the gearbest thread. So yeah, that’s a no brainer. Even if you don’t love them, it’s $3 freaking dollars. The cable and shells are worth that.

11. Slater
    I’ll have to get back to you on this. I destroyed my ATE a few weeks ago trying to Frankenstein on the ED9 nozzles.

The replacements are en route from gearbest. Then I’ll have to redo the FF mod.

12. AudioJunki3
    groucho69 likes this.
  13. Cruelhand Luke
    good news. thanks for the feedback. I am going to order some of these when I need more tips.

14. Francisk
    Very nice review but have you tried Comply T400 foam tips on the ZST? This will tone down the highs and make it sound much smoother. For me, the Comply T400 tips pairs very well with the ZST and makes it shine above it's asking price and put some of the more expensive IEMs to shame. There are some 3rd party T400 foam tips that works just as well as Comply foam tips. They're available at Gearbest and it's much cheaper than Comply foam tips.

AudioJunki3 and groucho69 like this.
  15. nkramer
    i actually have comply T200's on my ZSTs.