Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 25, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #25,561 of 63,788
Hello! I just received my KZ ZS6s, it took a while. I previously had a pair of ZS5s, but I think one of the drivers suddenly died on them, as mids started to be barely audible in the right monitor.
After listening to quite a few things with the ZS6s, I find them a mixed bag, mostly because each of the monitors sounds different. Voices are much crisper and louder in the left monitor when compared to the right one. As such, they are really annoying to listen to. They both fit snuggly in my ears, and I tried using various tips, the difference is still there no matter what I try. I feel cursed with bad luck when getting/using IEMs. My ROCK Zircons started having issues with the right monitor, the ZS5s suddenly went poof on me and now this.
What else can I try to do to find the issue?

It seems that you are describing essentially the same issue with both the ZS5 and ZS6 -- that the right side has less volume. That's highly unlikely and would imply that it's something else -- such as a source issue, or amp issue, or cable, or the way you have the cable plugged in, or...

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #25,562 of 63,788
Mmm I did check the cable several times. I also thought that maybe something is wrong with the right side of the cable, so I switched them. Other than the channels being inverted, the problem was exactly the same.
It's not about lower volume on the ZS5s though, it's about one of the drivers just not working anymore, as the highs are as piercing as they were initially. Later this following week I'll try fiddling with them again like Slater suggested.
On the ZS6s the difference isn't as shocking, but the problem is certainly similar. But it's definitely unpleasant and I noticed something was strange from the beginning.
I tried the ZS6s on different sound sources (laptop, phone, tablet) without any dedicated amplifiers (don't have or know anybody with any) but I doubt that none of the 3 different devices would have trouble driving these.
At this point I'm just tempted to issue a refund, and hope for more luck next time.

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #25,563 of 63,788
Just received my red ZS6 today and listened to it for a couple hours. Took quite a bit of force to insert the pins but they're quite securely placed. The ZS5 always felt a little loose.

Comfort is slightly worse for me than ZS5, but not bad by any means. I haven't heard any piercing treble but I'm not sensitive in the least. The bass was quite lovely too. I'm glad there's no issues with veiled vocals, so I have no complaints and am quite happy with it's value. Lovely shade of red too, but I do wish my green didn't get lost in the mail.

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #25,564 of 63,788
Mmm I did check the cable several times. I also thought that maybe something is wrong with the right side of the cable, so I switched them. Other than the channels being inverted, the problem was exactly the same.
It's not about lower volume on the ZS5s though, it's about one of the drivers just not working anymore, as the highs are as piercing as they were initially. Later this following week I'll try fiddling with them again like Slater suggested.
On the ZS6s the difference isn't as shocking, but the problem is certainly similar. But it's definitely unpleasant and I noticed something was strange from the beginning.
I tried the ZS6s on different sound sources (laptop, phone, tablet) without any dedicated amplifiers (don't have or know anybody with any) but I doubt that none of the 3 different devices would have trouble driving these.
At this point I'm just tempted to issue a refund, and hope for more luck next time.

It could be that you were just very unlucky. Also, keep in mind that L/R imbalance could be within their QC standards and that the slight imbalance isn't regarded as a flaw. I am also very sensitive to missplaced centre of imaging but my ZS5v1 unit was very good in this area.

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #25,565 of 63,788
Nov 25, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #25,566 of 63,788
Are there any mods to make ES3 less bass'y?
You can mess with the front volume vent on the ES3 to lower the bass - there's a bit of fabric/mesh that covers the front volume vent from the inside, if you puncture it bass will be reduced.
I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you're fine with the very real possibility of significant damage / destroying them - Small holes poked through a blocked vent won't change the sound much, but punching a hole in a working vent cover will reduce the bass by a ton - so much that I feel like channel matching them without a measurement rig would've been... a huge challenge at best.

Nov 25, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #25,567 of 63,788
It could be that you were just very unlucky. Also, keep in mind that L/R imbalance could be within their QC standards and that the slight imbalance isn't regarded as a flaw. I am also very sensitive to missplaced centre of imaging but my ZS5v1 unit was very good in this area.
A wide channel imbalance is how I've identified most of my broken / partly broken KZs... they definitely drop the ball occasionally on the QC front there, but I've been successful in getting a refund/replacement for such issues personally :shrug:

Obviously you should make sure it's not just your ear swelling or something but yeah, it does happen.

Nov 25, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #25,568 of 63,788
You can mess with the front volume vent on the ES3 to lower the bass - there's a bit of fabric/mesh that covers the front volume vent from the inside, if you puncture it bass will be reduced.
I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you're fine with the very real possibility of significant damage / destroying them - Small holes poked through a blocked vent won't change the sound much, but punching a hole in a working vent cover will reduce the bass by a ton - so much that I feel like channel matching them without a measurement rig would've been... a huge challenge at best.
You could wrap a good bit of tape around the needle, so that it can only go to a small depth into the vent. That would also keep the diameter of the hole more consistent between left and right sides.

Nov 25, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #25,569 of 63,788
You could wrap a good bit of tape around the needle, so that it can only go to a small depth into the vent. That would also keep the diameter of the hole more consistent between left and right sides.
That's a really clever idea that ought to be very helpful in most cases.

If memory serves though, the difference between a blocked vent and a fully punctured vent on my ES3 was like -35dB though... yeah, that's what makes it difficult on them :wink:

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #25,570 of 63,788

If you don't have vice grip pliers available, it's even easier and faster to bite down on the seam with your front teeth. Basically exactly the same instructions as that post, only your teeth become the vice grips. I've opened a number of ATE, ATE-S, and ATR housings using the "vice teeth" method. It literally takes 2 seconds. I can't even go to the garage and dig out my vice grip pliers that fast haha

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #25,571 of 63,788
He literally BITES OPEN his IEMs people! The man doesn't have time to go to the garage, he just bites them open, like a MAN does. He stabs them with sewing needles, shoots them with glue lasers and bites them open, all to help you people!
(and don't even get me STARTED on what he can do with full sized cans and a dremel.)
I just implore you, do not @Slater more than three posts in a row, or he will appear in your house and begin dismantling all your headphones with tiny screwdrivers and needle nosed tweezers.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #25,572 of 63,788
He literally BITES OPEN his IEMs people! The man doesn't have time to go to the garage, he just bites them open, like a MAN does. He stabs them with sewing needles, shoots them with glue lasers and bites them open, all to help you people!

I literally spit beer out of my nose when I read that LOL

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #25,573 of 63,788
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #25,574 of 63,788
Hello! I just received my KZ ZS6s, it took a while. I previously had a pair of ZS5s, but I think one of the drivers suddenly died on them, as mids started to be barely audible in the right monitor.
After listening to quite a few things with the ZS6s, I find them a mixed bag, mostly because each of the monitors sounds different. Voices are much crisper and louder in the left monitor when compared to the right one. As such, they are really annoying to listen to. They both fit snuggly in my ears, and I tried using various tips, the difference is still there no matter what I try. I feel cursed with bad luck when getting/using IEMs. My ROCK Zircons started having issues with the right monitor, the ZS5s suddenly went poof on me and now this.
What else can I try to do to find the issue?
Quit buying garbage iem's, and spend a little bit more money for a quality pair. You'll be surprised at how well that works for you, lol. I'm only messing with you and not intending on sounding mean. In all honesty though, I did the same as you for a long time and now am finding much more enjoyment and satisfaction with this hobby, by getting more quality products. You will find the build quality will be much better, even jumping to the 40.00-60.00 price tier. Good luck going forward, and I'm genuinely sorry for your unfortunate situation that you are in at the moment.

Nov 26, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #25,575 of 63,788
it's even easier and faster to bite down on the seam with your front teeth

As hilarious as this is - as someone with short roots and many teeth problems PLEASE baby your teeth like how you baby your ears. If you mess up your teeth once, they'll never be the same again! Just like your ears. They've gotta last a lifetime. I no longer have the privilege of eating a whole apple or anything hard like corn nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back