Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 17, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #25,156 of 63,834
Been following KZ since they had like 3-4 models at best. It's really wonderful to see how tall they have managed to rise.

I remember nagging Yue He (KZ Rep on AliExpress) may times to produce products having BA drivers and they did deliver : ) Love my ZS5, will grab ZS6's successor whenever that arrives. Skipping ZS6 for now as it might be a marginal upgrade to ZS5 (and I already have tons of KZ lying around).

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #25,157 of 63,834
Been following KZ since they had like 3-4 models at best. It's really wonderful to see how tall they have managed to rise.

I remember nagging Yue He (KZ Rep on AliExpress) may times to produce products having BA drivers and they did deliver : ) Love my ZS5, will grab ZS6's successor whenever that arrives. Skipping ZS6 for now as it might be a marginal upgrade to ZS5 (and I already have tons of KZ lying around).

Howdy Eisen, been a while. You know I love me some KZ. Nice Avatart, love my ZN1 Minis to death. I'm not trying to influence you but IMO ZS6 is total refinement of the ZS5V1's and I have the Blue and the Gray ones. They are good, ZS6 IMHO is better. Honestly think you would be impressed with them but understand waiting for the next one too.:beerchug:

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #25,158 of 63,834
Howdy Eisen, been a while. You know I love me some KZ. Nice Avatart, love my ZN1 Minis to death. I'm not trying to influence you but IMO ZS6 is total refinement of the ZS5V1's and I have the Blue and the Gray ones. They are good, ZS6 IMHO is better. Honestly think you would be impressed with them but understand waiting for the next one too.:beerchug:
Nice to see you, Pod. Well, life changes after getting married. Been less active here on forums compared to last year because of that. But still hard into music.

Yes I absolutely remember your love for KZ. ZN1 mini are really good, one of the unique sounding offering from KZ. I kept rotating between ZN1mini and ED9 before I received ZS5.
Yeah, I've been tempted too many times already : ) Yesterday even saw a deal for ZS6 at $19, almost gave up to the urge but the coupon code was expired.

As far as I know ZS6 has same drivers as ZS5V1 right? Except for the rear vent and metal chamber that might make difference. Correct me if I'm wrong.
After experimenting ZS5 a bit, trying different eartips I settled for Sony Hybrids and bit of cotton stuffing inside eartips. Result is ideal signature for me. I think I can comfortably say that ZS5 are the best sounding earphones in my inventory. Only thing is that they are very source and tip dependent.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #25,160 of 63,834
As far as I know ZS6 has same drivers as ZS5V1 right? Except for the rear vent and metal chamber that might make difference. Correct me if I'm wrong.
By appearances, ZS6 shares internals with the ZS5v2 - crossover dividing two DDs with separate sound channels, and a pair of KZ 30095 BAs in the nozzle. In addition to the altered back vent, ZS6 has a different front vent size (smaller), slightly different BA placement, and removes the piece of tuning tape that can be found covering the smaller DD in the ZS5 (v1 and v2).

ZS5v1 has no crossover, all full-range drivers wired in parallel with acoustic division (I believe no sound pipe for the smaller DD like in the ZS5v2/ZS6, just a resonance chamber, or some such), with a model 1205 BA in the nozzle and a KZ 30095 BA within the body.

The crossover cuts the worst of the source pickiness (4 ohms impedance on the ZS5v1 = absurdly current hungry), and inverts the impedance curve (opposite impedance properties: where the ZS5v1 gets more treble with added output impedance, ZS6 gets less) and also inverts the phase shift direction. :shrug:

Doubling up the BA power right next to your ear drum (obviously) increases the treble peak a bit more.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #25,161 of 63,834
So I've had a need for a small earphone for sleeping, and one of the smallest IEMs I already own is the KZ HDS2.

They aren't in my listening rotation that often, because I've never really liked how they sounded. They were just too neutral and lacked bass, which just made them boring and narrow sounding. The nozzles are odd-sized and shaped, and not many tips fit other than the stock tips (goofy dual flange tips that are uncomfortable and don't seal well at all). I always felt like the tips had to be the cause of the gutless bass.

Well, I decided to play around with them and see if there were any improvements lurking inside.

The 1st thing I did was swap the rubbish stock tips for some other options. Foams sounded worse, robbing them of even more bass. The story was the same with wide bore tips (shouty trebe and no bass at all). Then I struck pay dirt. Using a small screwdriver, I was able to gently stretch some KZ Starlines on the massive tip. WOW, what a difference! These things were completely transformed. There's now gobs of bass/sub-bass (when called upon - not overpowering). And thanks to the Starline tips, they're very comfy and stay in the ears with kung-fu grip. With the Starline tips, they sound like the u-shaped HDS3 (an excellent IEM).

Realize that the HDS2 are a TINY IEM. However, for sleeping they just barely stuck out of my ears just enough to rub when side sleeping. The trusty Dremel to the rescue - 5 minutes later and I had the rear section of the housing buzzed off. This made them short enough to completely disappear deep inside of the ear. They're sooo comfy when sleeping now.

After cutting the end off, the rear of the housing becomes "open" (exposing a small 1/8" hole in the rear of the housing). I used them like this for a few days, and I loved the much wider soundstage from the open back. But the open back also made the mids too forward, which just didn't sound right to me. So as a temporary measure, I took a hole punch, cut 2 pieces of vinyl graphics film I had laying around, and slapped them over the hole (in other words, fancy tape). The sound was back the way I liked it (ie the same as they were before I cut the housing down). I ordered some tiny 7mmx1mm neodymium magnets, which I'll epoxy onto the back in place of the vinyl as a permanent solution once they arrive. I'll be able to 'stick' them together when not in use (a popular feature now on IEMs, especially bluetooth IEMs).

Anyways, the bottom line is if you have this IEM and have never been happy with the sound, ditch the stock tips and get some KZ Starlines on there. You'll seriously love the way they sound. You'll have to be really patient to get them all of the way on the nozzles, but the results are well worth it. And if you're looking for some really nice sleeping IEMs (which is already a market with extremely limited choices), consider trying the HDS2 (regardless of whether you cut the end off like I did or not).

Here's some photos of the modded vs stock HDS2 (click for larger views):

Stock HDS2 - look at how tiny these are!

Modded HDS2 - even SMALLER now!

Stock vs modded HDS2 - Side by side

Closeup of the temporary vinyl piece on the back (to be permanently replaced by 7mmx1mm magnet). Sorry, I didn't take a photo of the open hole.
A sleepable KZ? Well done sir, well done.
What other IEMs do you know of that work for side sleepers? Seems to be an under served market...

Nov 17, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #25,162 of 63,834
What other IEMs do you know of that work for side sleepers? Seems to be an under served market...
I'm currently using a Sony microdriver that I bought around 5 years ago. It's actually a lot smaller than Slater's modded sleep phones. I don't recall the model number, but zilch chance they still make it. The SQ is very good with the bass boost on. I used to use the SoundMagic ES18 for sleeping - untouchable for SQ and comfort, but I noticed the ear that was against the pillow would sometimes lose volume. Changing the tips helped but didn't totally eliminate the problem so I switched to the Sony after trying many IEM's including the MEMT X5 which is small, but has uneven pressure distribution. I tried the Uiisii HM7, which are small and sound good, but not quite as comfortable as the Sony or SoundMagic.

Nov 17, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #25,163 of 63,834

By appearances, ZS6 shares internals with the ZS5v2 - crossover dividing two DDs with separate sound channels, and a pair of KZ 30095 BAs in the nozzle. In addition to the altered back vent, ZS6 has a different front vent size (smaller), slightly different BA placement, and removes the piece of tuning tape that can be found covering the smaller DD in the ZS5 (v1 and v2).

ZS5v1 has no crossover, all full-range drivers wired in parallel with acoustic division (I believe no sound pipe for the smaller DD like in the ZS5v2/ZS6, just a resonance chamber, or some such), with a model 1205 BA in the nozzle and a KZ 30095 BA within the body.

The crossover cuts the worst of the source pickiness (4 ohms impedance on the ZS5v1 = absurdly current hungry), and inverts the impedance curve (opposite impedance properties: where the ZS5v1 gets more treble with added output impedance, ZS6 gets less) and also inverts the phase shift direction. :shrug:

Doubling up the BA power right next to your ear drum (obviously) increases the treble peak a bit more.

Nice summary @vector84.

I would add:

DD bass vent is double the size on the ZS5 v1 and v2 (ie half the size on the ZS6). So ZS6 has a lil more/better bass compared to the ZS5 (a nice match for the ZS6's increased treble and also sweeter midrange from the tape removal). Photo here:

ZS5-ZS6-Vent.jpg

ZS6 housing was revised in a number of spots, which resolved ZS5 comfort/hotspot complaints. Photos here:
ZS5-ZS6-Edge1.jpg
ZS5-ZS6-Edge2.jpg
ZS5-ZS6-Edge3.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #25,164 of 63,834

Excellent verbal tear down.

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #25,165 of 63,834
Wow @vector84 and @Slater, that was a very elaborate explanation.
Thanks a ton for posting the differences.

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #25,166 of 63,834

The only one I own that I have used for side sleep is the MEMT X5 and the QKZ W1 Pro.

The modified KZ HDS2 will replace both of them, because it's smaller and more comfortable (with the best sound). The W1 Pro is the most secure though, being a behind-the-ear design. I never once woke up without them still securely in my ears. I found it does help to run the cable of any of the sleeping IEMs down my shirt and to the DAP clipped to my clothes (I use an iPod Nano 6G). That cuts down on 90% of the tangles and things that would cause IEMs to get pulled out of my ears during the night (especially IEMs worn 'down' like the MEMT X5, KZ HDS2, etc).

As far as other alternatives, I see this one recommended a lot (but I don't personally own it): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...phones-and-iems.820747/page-531#post-13400794

And a search also yielded these possibilities (again I don't own any of them so maybe PM the owners and ask about side sleeping etc):
Like you mentioned, side sleep is the key. A lot of people use different IEMs and even earbuds anf full size headphones for "sleeping". But if you sleep on your back and don't roll around at night, you could pretty much get away with anything. Side sleeping is a whole other story.

Be sure to let us know if you find something that works out for you and that you really like!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #25,167 of 63,834
Wow @vector84 and @Slater, that was a very elaborate explanation.
Thanks a ton for posting the differences.

No problem.

BTW, the 'guide tube' @vector84 mentioned is for the midrange driver.

KZ added it to the ZS6, but no one has done a teardown of the ZS5 v2 yet to determine if it's in there as well. It's definitely not there in the ZS5 v1.

Here's photos in case you're curious about what it looks like (the little metal tube):

5.jpg
11.jpg

And the 'tuning tape' on the midrange driver (aka masking tape haha) can be seen here (on the ZS5 v1 and v2, removed on the ZS6):
ZS5v1-vs-v2-vs-ZS6_2.jpg
You can see the effect of the midrange tape and guide tube on the following FR graph (1.5k to 4k) - click for larger view:
ZS6 vs ZS5 freq.png

Even though there's technically 'less midrange' on the ZS6 according to the FR graph, the mids sound better on the ZS6 IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #25,168 of 63,834
Someone had asked about earphones for sleeping. I posted this in a different thread but it fits here. Useful for side sleepers

I'm sorry but my answer probably won't be any help for you.

tl;dr I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a number of years ago and got a CPAP machine. I stopped using it after about 8 months but... Since I sleep on my side I had issues with my head slowly settling down into the pillow as I slept and causing my mask to gap because of the pressure from the pillow on the side of the mask. So I found something that worked for me. I used one of those U-shaped travel pillows. I'd set it on top of a single regular pillow, oriented upside down or backwards, so that the bottom part of the U was under my neck and one arm of the U supported my face from under ear on my jaw along the side of my face in front of my ear and my temple. The other arm of the U supported the back of my head. The end result was no way was there any pressure on my CPAP mask. Very long story short, although I don't use the machine anymore, I still use the travel pillow. So I can use any earphone, even ones that would stick out up to about an inch and I'd never have problems because the area under my ear isn't touching my pillow.

Having said that, I'd suggest something small like the SoundMAGIC PL50 or similar style designs, KZ ZST (under $20), TFZ (the Fragrant Zither) either Exclusive or Series lines (although I'd suggest the plastic shelled ones as lighter and less likely to fall out or need to be removed. The metal shelled (in the $100 range for these) King, Exclusive 5 and Series 4 all get good reviews here. The plastic shelled ones are less expensive and still get decent reviews). I've used the following personally, although remember my caveat above, SoundMAGIC PL50, KZ ZS5 and ZS6, TFZ Exclusive 5, Brainwavz B150, Senzer High Resolution, Marshall Mode, Mee Pinnacle PX, A151 and M6 just to list some of the IEMs I've been experimenting with the last few months.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #25,169 of 63,834
Suggest a decent <$20 bluetooth IEM please. I want it specifically to watch TV so people's voices and whatever those frequencies are, should be clear.
Just wanted to say that Bluetooth is not a great method to use for watching TV/video due to the delay.

You will hear the voices a second or so after seeing the actor's lips move, kind of like watching a poorly translated and dubbed foreign language film.

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #25,170 of 63,834
Just wanted to say that Bluetooth is not a great method to use for watching TV/video due to the delay.

You will hear the voices a second or so after seeing the actor's lips move, kind of like watching a poorly translated and dubbed foreign language film.

I have tested below headphone with my tv, both tv and videos work equally fine. no delay at all.

http://www.boat-lifestyle.com/rockerz600/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back