Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #25,096 of 63,671
IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0333.JPG
Gearbest has a KZ bluetooth upgrade cable on sale for $4,99 with code KZEP.
https://www.gearbest.com/earbud-hea...utm_medium=shareasale&utm_campaign=shareasale

But i'm kinda confused as if this one is suitable for the ZS5. It is listed on the 2nd picture, but denied in the FAQ multiple times. In the reviews I found on Page 8 somebody which says it works with ZS5, and on page 9 somebody says it sometimes unplugs with ZS5? Doesnt help that there is another variant available on the site which does not work with the code.
I have both cables. the angled one fits zs6 -zs5 but it is not very secure. check images.they are a little bit blurry but I would not use this cable.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #25,098 of 63,671
Gearbest has a KZ bluetooth upgrade cable on sale for $4,99 with code KZEP.
https://www.gearbest.com/earbud-hea...utm_medium=shareasale&utm_campaign=shareasale

But i'm kinda confused as if this one is suitable for the ZS5. It is listed on the 2nd picture, but denied in the FAQ multiple times. In the reviews I found on Page 8 somebody which says it works with ZS5, and on page 9 somebody says it sometimes unplugs with ZS5? Doesnt help that there is another variant available on the site which does not work with the code.

...But I don't think people are too pleased with the Bluetooth cable from KZ regardless of end style so perhaps getting a more generic receiver might be a better option. Here's a link to what I mean. Don't own this, never heard it, know nothing about it. Just provided as an example

https://www.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_1081306.html

This one works really well: https://www.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_663674.html

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #25,099 of 63,671
So you plug your 3.5mm jack into that? And then you have bluetooth connectivity with a 1.2m lenght cord? Does not sound practical ha. The bluetooth cable specifically designed for the KZ ZS5 seemed like it would be a nice utility for using the IEM in the gym or something, or am I better off just sticking to my Meizu EP-51 for that? Because that thing is designed to be at least sweat proof I thought.

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #25,101 of 63,671
Got my ZS6 from GB in yesterday and upon first listen I thought Oh boy big mistake! Piercing Treble slicing up the eardrums really bad but could hear the potential. Put them on the burner overnight..Bam!! Treble is tamed crystal clear details and resolution. Just enough bass, smooth midrange, fairly well balanced. Really a pleasure now. Can't take them out of my ears. Didn't think the ZS5V1 could be bested at this price but here it is...using generic Alifoams, no other mods..gonna order another pair in Black when the price dips under 20 bucks!!
Good for You... BUT... what about ppl who do not use faoms at all and have low impedance source gear? ZS5 will probably fit them better :wink:

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #25,102 of 63,671
So you plug your 3.5mm jack into that? And then you have bluetooth connectivity with a 1.2m lenght cord? Does not sound practical ha. The bluetooth cable specifically designed for the KZ ZS5 seemed like it would be a nice utility for using the IEM in the gym or something, or am I better off just sticking to my Meizu EP-51 for that? Because that thing is designed to be at least sweat proof I thought.
I use es3 with kz Bluetooth cable in gym. I am happy with that setup.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #25,103 of 63,671
Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #25,104 of 63,671
I wonder if this support trrs balance or trrs mic, since it already has a mic.
Assuming headphone was balance. Prolly not. But should make one.
Simple circuit can detect trs plug and then do single ended,
otherwise if trrs do balance. I thought Xiaomi liked doing this type of stuff.

Is there a discount coupon for this product?

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #25,105 of 63,671
Did it help, or do you still have comfort issues?

Because for my ears, this spot on the ZS5 is the source of my comfort issues. You can see how sharp it is on the ZS5, and how it was made much smoother on the ZS6 (where the arrows are pointing).

I have not sanded down mine yet, because I enjoy listening to my ZS6 much more so the ZS5 doesn't get much play time any more.

Your ears might get used to the shape. It bothered me so much I took a break from the ZS5s for a few days to listen toan older IEM. Now, after 3 weeks of daily use, I find the KZ5 pretty comfy.

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #25,107 of 63,671

Yes, the whole long cable with a box at the end is what you end up with haha

Personally, I’d stick with the EP51 if you already own one.

I do have 2 KZ Bluetooth cables though. I use 1 with ZST almost daily for bicycle rides. They have a 4 hour battery life, and in general are a decent product. I did have major EMI/RF interference issues though (a known problem, but the problem doesn’t seem to affect everyone for some reason).

I took the “control box” apart and discovered that the Bluetooth antenna wasn’t properly designed by the engineers. After lengthening the antenna to the optimal Bluetooth length, it works great now. Double the range and zero interference issues. The modded cable is also an excellent match with the ZST. I didn’t like it with the ZS3 or the ZS5 though - it just didn’t sound right (I always assumed it was an impedance thing). It may sound fine to others with the ZS3 or ZS5 though, but I’m perfectly happy with the modded cable and ZST combination for bike rides.

I don’t have the link to the Mod How2 handy, but if you’re interested in the mod, I can post it as soon as I get home in a few hours.

All you need is a soldering iron, a tiny piece of copper wire, and a way to accurately measure the wire in millimeters (calipers, quality metal ruler, micrometer, etc).

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #25,108 of 63,671
I wonder if this support trrs balance or trrs mic, since it already has a mic.
Assuming headphone was balance. Prolly not. But should make one.
Simple circuit can detect trs plug and then do single ended,
otherwise if trrs do balance. I thought Xiaomi liked doing this type of stuff.

Hmmm, not sure. But that would be interesting to know!

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #25,109 of 63,671
Is there a discount coupon for this product?

I haven’t seen one yet, but it is on flash sale on a regular basis.

If we ask George to create a code on the Gearbest deals thread, I’m sure he’ll make us a coupon for it.

Edit: I asked George for a coupon code for the Xiaomi adapter. I’ll PM you if/when I see the code posted to the Gearbest thread?

I just picked up a ZS3 for $2.99 with coupon code for modding (gonna either make it a hybrid or swap in a graphene driver if I can shoehorn it in). For $2.99 it is a great donor shell!

There’s also ATE for $3.99 with coupon. Since I just destroyed a pair in a failed ED9 nozzle Frankenstein attempt, I’m gonna try the mod again with a fresh pair (like the ‘little engine that could’ haha).

Gotta love Gearbest!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #25,110 of 63,671
Good for You... BUT... what about ppl who do not use faoms at all and have low impedance source gear? ZS5 will probably fit them better :wink:
i wasn't using foams before, didn't like them, but am getting used to them now with zs6 (together with an easy eq on 11kHz).
a so easy EQ is enough to tame the highs when using silicone tips.
i much prefer zs6 rather than zs5v1. find them more suitable to almost every track i listen to. zs5v1 is good, but found issues with more tracks, dunno why, maybe the absence of crossover and extreme low impedance have something to do with that.
however, guess if you refuse to use foams and can't/don't-want to do a simple eq, better to look for other phones than zs6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back