Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 6, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #24,737 of 63,834
Yes usually they have, but it depends on listener's signature also.

You can't really say something like this. Good BA like any other good driver doesn't have sibilance. Cheap BA drivers that KZ makes are a different story however and shouldn't be used to make such generalizations.
The question of sibilance goes beyond just the driver though, resonant peaks always form in the nozzle of an IEM as well as our ear canals and both DDs and BAs should be tuned in regards to the exact casing/insertion dept being implemented. (This is where things get very tricky...)

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #24,738 of 63,834
You can't really say something like this. Good BA like any other good driver doesn't have sibilance. Cheap BA drivers that KZ makes are a different story however and shouldn't be used to make such generalizations.
The question of sibilance goes beyond just the driver though, resonant peaks always form in the nozzle of an IEM as well as our ear canals and both DDs and BAs should be tuned in regards to the exact casing/insertion dept being implemented. (This is where things get very tricky...)
Its obvious, this is KZs thread and what i referred to is about KZs.

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #24,739 of 63,834
On the other hand, right now I just received the black T400 knockoffs I ordered from a local online store last week. Bought 5 pairs of those foam tips for around US$ 9.50. These definitely improved the sound of my ZS6, and thus more enjoyable to listen to. These foam tips brought out more bass, and the ear-piercing treble and sibilance tamed. I'm finally satisfied with my ZS6 with these tips!

ZS6foam.jpg

foamies.jpg

@Slater: Since you asked for a photo of the tips last time and I just received them today, here it is. Here's how they look like.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #24,740 of 63,834
Just received my ES3

These are definitely comfortable IEMs

I received a pair of ES3s as well and have really enjoyed them during the weekend, straight out of the box I'd say I like them more than the ZS6s (talking pure sound-sig here).
The only issue I'm having is what I can only assume is a horrible driver-flex on the left piece, at worst cutting out the DD completely. If I re position the ear-piece it comes back and sounds great.
Does anyone have any ideas what to do about it?

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #24,741 of 63,834
I received a pair of ES3s as well and have really enjoyed them during the weekend, straight out of the box I'd say I like them more than the ZS6s (talking pure sound-sig here).
The only issue I'm having is what I can only assume is a horrible driver-flex on the left piece, at worst cutting out the DD completely. If I re position the ear-piece it comes back and sounds great.
Strange. In my case, I enjoy the ZS6 more than the ES3, especially if I use the knockoff T400 foam tips with it. At the moment, I find the ES3's highs and mids to be a bit recessed. Maybe the ES3's sound sig would improve with further use/burn-in?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #24,742 of 63,834
I find the ES3's highs and mids to be a bit recessed
Compared to the ZS6, absolutely! I absolutely love the mid-range presentation on the ZS6 but I find them to be a bit too treble-heavy, throws the balance IMHO.

I'm not sure if this is to be expected from BA-based IEMs but I find them slightly incoherent at times (or maybe it is just the cheab/budget ones), like the bass/lower mid-range doesn't really "connect" with the upper mid-range/treble in a natural way.
The ES3 sound more .. hmm .. organic to my ears, despite the BA..

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #24,743 of 63,834
Compared to the ZS6, absolutely! I absolutely love the mid-range presentation on the ZS6 but I find them to be a bit too treble-heavy, throws the balance IMHO
To my ears, the ZS6, especially when with foam tips, it has everything, from lows to highs. XD Detailed despite the bass.

Just tried using the same foam tips on my ES3, and it still has the recessed highs and mids; not as detailed as I'm expecting. TBH, I'm quite underwhelmed with it, as I'm expecting a sound signature akin to Slater-modded ZS3s. Maybe a burn-in (whether it's a fact or a myth) would improve this, I hope.

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #24,746 of 63,834
Amen! Brother!

Thankfully, KZs are cheap. So I'm glad that I got to form my own opinion on the "Legendary" ATEs and ZSEs for the price of a lunch for two. The ZS5s are still on the way.

Don't forget about modding and EQ as well. There's usually a way to make chi-fi work for your taste.

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #24,747 of 63,834
Damm I just realized the true value of amplification even for tiny iem like the KZ ZS3 I listening to Post Malone- I Fall Apart on my Mi A1 which has a dedicated amp(don't know the specifications) and around 1 min the bass kicks in and it felt so good.Then I tried playing it off my laptop but this time the bass was non existent.So guys are there and cheap amps that I can invest because I am wondering how much I must be missing with my ZS5(V2) if they are not being properly powered.

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #24,748 of 63,834

I don't have the ES3, so I don't know if/where it's driver vents are located. But on other similar models, it's located in front of the DD driver. In any case, sometimes they get clogged with glue from the factory, and you can use a sewing needle, thumb tack, or safety pin to check the vent hole (and clear it if necessary). Just be careful not to enlarge the hole over what it is now, or you'll cause a sound difference from side to side.

Here's what it looks like on the ZST (click photo for larger view):

driver vent 4.jpg
driver vent 3.jpg

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #24,749 of 63,834
Damm I just realized the true value of amplification even for tiny iem like the KZ ZS3 I listening to Post Malone- I Fall Apart on my Mi A1 which has a dedicated amp(don't know the specifications) and around 1 min the bass kicks in and it felt so good.Then I tried playing it off my laptop but this time the bass was non existent.So guys are there and cheap amps that I can invest because I am wondering how much I must be missing with my ZS5(V2) if they are not being properly powered.

That's what me and Slater been saying about 200 pages ago, the ZS3 are very source dependent ! Same thing with HAVI B3...bad source and people complain about how crappy they are, good source and they rave about their abilities.

I just received GGMM A1 portable amp, i will publish my review this week or next week. So far this thing is very powerful for it's size and price :) Will try them with ZS3 later on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back