Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 2, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #24,587 of 63,834
No reason to believe you couldn't use the Zs6 on a balanced cable if you so choose. @TheVortex is correct though that the cable displayed is not a balanced cable. Look at the plug. All balanced cables with a single 2.5 or 3.5mm male connector are TRRS rather than the TRS type shown.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #24,589 of 63,834
Balanced really isn't the holy grail some people make it out to be. That's the kind of thing you should give a crap about when you've wrung out as much as possible from high-end gear.

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #24,590 of 63,834
Balanced really isn't the holy grail some people make it out to be. That's the kind of thing you should give a **** about when you've wrung out as much as possible from high-end gear.
Yeah, I was wondering when running headphones and IEMs balanced became so popular. A few years back I remember mostly just hearing about it from the dudes with the $1,000+ cryo-treated unobtanium custom cables.

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #24,591 of 63,834
I always replace those red nylon screens the second I get a KZ IEM with them. I have yet to run across a red-screened IEM where they didn't veil the sound and bloat the bass
Yeah, I had them off for a bit (those screens actually sound nice on my AWK-009s imo but anyway) but slapped them back on before I put the ZSE away for a while.

Anyhow tinkering with the ZSEs a bit more: nylon screens removed, adjusted back vent tape to about 1/2 covered: :ksc75smile:

Nov 2, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #24,592 of 63,834
I think most of the folks going to balanced are doing so as a way to push more power to the earphones, not as a way to improve sound quality. While true that balanced can sound better than single ended, every last component has to be designed for it for that to happen and it introduces a whole new set of issues if they are not perfect.

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #24,593 of 63,834
Nov 3, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #24,595 of 63,834
Finally got my ZS6. So far I like them better than the Dunu Titan 3 I also just got which is considerably more expensive. But maybe it's more that I prefer the sig of the ZS6. And need more brain-in with the Titan.

Edit - They really aren't terribly comfortable though.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #24,597 of 63,834
This thread has become a great example of what we have all known from the start. We don't all hear the same things. I find it interesting that the debate about whether more than one lot of Zs6 ended quite awhile back but yet the debate about piercing highs shows no sign of letting up. To me, I interpret that as:
1.) We have conclusive evidence that shows 8 and 10k spikes in the Zs6. These have been confirmed by 2 different testers on multiple samples so we have reason to believe that same pair of spikes exists in every Zs6.
2.) We have plenty of people who find them piercing and not to their liking
3.) We have plenty of people who find them crisp and clear but not piercing.

based on the above, I have to think that while we all hear sounds in the 8-10kHz range unless our hearing is pretty severely damaged, we don't all process them the same way. I'm reasonably certain this isnt an ear difference, it is a brain difference in that both groups of people hear the same sound, we just interpret it differently. For all the technical jargon thrown back and forth regarding how hearing works, I think we can all admit that when it comes to understanding how the brain processes the data the ear sends to it, we are woefully under educated.

Nov 3, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #24,598 of 63,834
This thread has become a great example of what we have all known from the start. We don't all hear the same things. I find it interesting that the debate about whether more than one lot of Zs6 ended quite awhile back but yet the debate about piercing highs shows no sign of letting up. To me, I interpret that as:
1.) We have conclusive evidence that shows 8 and 10k spikes in the Zs6. These have been confirmed by 2 different testers on multiple samples so we have reason to believe that same pair of spikes exists in every Zs6.
2.) We have plenty of people who find them piercing and not to their liking
3.) We have plenty of people who find them crisp and clear but not piercing.

based on the above, I have to think that while we all hear sounds in the 8-10kHz range unless our hearing is pretty severely damaged, we don't all process them the same way. I'm reasonably certain this isnt an ear difference, it is a brain difference in that both groups of people hear the same sound, we just interpret it differently. For all the technical jargon thrown back and forth regarding how hearing works, I think we can all admit that when it comes to understanding how the brain processes the data the ear sends to it, we are woefully under educated.

You haven't considered the playback source of the different people reporting different things.

The ZSE and ZS5v2 sound different using different sources based on my own tests. Its not a stretch to say that different people report different things may also be attributed to different playback sources have different characteristics. Thus contributing to the differences in opinion on the ZS6 either.

And a lot of people seem to jump to conclusions on the sound characteristics without giving their earphones ( whichever phone and model that may be, not just KZ) sufficient time to bed-in.
I would highly recommend downloading a pink noise track and let it do the burn-in on infinite loop playback for at least overnight before making up your minds on whether the sound signature is to your liking. Its just setting it to a listening volume and let it play be it a cheap MP3 player or the laptop jack, while you sleep or do your other stuff.

There's no "brain-burn" so to speak when you do it that way.

Listen to them again after the overnight session and see if you like them or not and them decide. The bass came a little 'wooly / loose' for both the ZSE and ZS5v5 OOTB, they both tightened up after a few short hours of burn-in.

Patience is often gold in this.

Nov 3, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #24,599 of 63,834
You haven't considered the playback source of the different people reporting different things.

The ZSE and ZS5v2 sound different using different sources based on my own tests. Its not a stretch to say that different people report different things may also be attributed to different playback sources have different characteristics. Thus contributing to the differences in opinion on the ZS6 either.

And a lot of people seem to jump to conclusions on the sound characteristics without giving their earphones ( whichever phone and model that may be, not just KZ) sufficient time to bed-in.
I would highly recommend downloading a pink noise track and let it do the burn-in on infinite loop playback for at least overnight before making up your minds on whether the sound signature is to your liking. Its just setting it to a listening volume and let it play be it a cheap MP3 player or the laptop jack, while you sleep or do your other stuff.

There's no "brain-burn" so to speak when you do it that way.

Listen to them again after the overnight session and see if you like them or not and them decide. The bass came a little 'wooly / loose' for both the ZSE and ZS5v5 OOTB, they both tightened up after a few short hours of burn-in.

Patience is often gold in this.

Good Point, some of the differences may be in style of music being listened to and in source used. Not sure that accounts for 100% of it, but you are right that it certainly does account for some percentage.

Nov 3, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #24,600 of 63,834
ZS5, black box, ZS5 white box. Both came with pronounced highs out of the box. Both are V.2. ZS6 green, same thing. BUT.. with 40-50 hours playing in high volume, treble satle down in a big way. Only diference between 5 and 6 is that 6 has more definition in bass. For my ears I found mids beter on 5s. Everithing other is the same.

Tested on:
Denon high end receiver, SACD Player, ProJect turntable, ortofon, stanton, shure.
SMSL SAP VI, laptop, Oppo player
Native instruments traktor dj 2, laptop
flacs (pop, rock, house, chill, jazz), blue note and chesky cds, and records

Just give them time! Treble will come down for shure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back