1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. kokakolia
    The Solo 2 is genuinely good! How else would Beats still be relevant? I just wish they weren't so pricey...

Something like a discontinued JBL S300 is only about $30 and it's "just as good".

That's another shockingly amazing deal.

2. Viber
    haha, that's great. So we agree on ZS3,ZS6 and ZS6 vs ZS5 v1.

Slater likes this.
  3. kokakolia
    The sale is gone! Yeah they're $40 on Amazon now. It's not a huge bargain now.

4. bjaardker
    The synth horns that come in right around 1:08 are exceptionally bright. My Icarus III do ok with them, but I can see where on the ZS5 they would distort into some pretty nasty sibilance.

5. Superluc
    Why ? It takes away too much after those peaks ?
    How about foams plus the adapter ?

I want too to try that combo.

6. TJK81
    Hey man... Don't say that. Three days ago i purchased 75ohm impedance adapter from Penon. ****:dizzy_face:

7. Superluc
    There must be some difference between batches... there's no other possibilities :unamused:

Still waiting and hoping for mine pair... :fingers_crossed::weary::fingers_crossed:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  8. Superluc
    You are poor now ? :fearful:

I have buy one of them too, but it can always be used for else.

9. xrk971
    I'm really happy with my V1's (have two pairs) so really curious what all the hub bub is about this harsh treble in V2 or ZS6?

@hakuzen,
    Thanks for showing details of your setup. That adapter would fit the tip of my calibrated measurement mic perfectly. A sweep with REW software will show the differences in this treble peak. Once I get my hands in a V2 or ZS6, I will measure.

Siegfried Linkwitz shows how you can connect an IEM to a mic to measure frequency response. It's important to find a soft pliable tube that mimics the diameter, length, and softness of our ear canal. The length is important as that will cause resonance peaks and dips due to reflections off the ear drum and back into the IEM. This is why foam tips helps, they attenuate that hard impedance mismatch and soften the resonance peak. Usually it is at about 2.5kHz and 7kHz. Linkwitz even developed a passive notch filter for his Entymotic ER4's. He said it just won't sound right once you hear what it is supposed to sound like with that 2.5kHz and 7kHz peaks removed.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm

[​IMG]

Passive notch filter circuit:
    [​IMG]

So here is my hypothesis: adding that second BA driver right at the tip increases (by 2x) the hard material cross sectional area (the BA capsule) of stuff that can reflect sound and cause a resonance. This resonance has nothing to do with a different BA driver or even the crossover, it's where it is located, so it's purely an acoustic transmission line theory for modes of resonance. That's why adding foam earplug tips help. It's also why a small wad of foam or acoustic damping fluff helps. If this is true, it is kind of a design flaw for something that's supposed to be "an upgrade". If I am right, the V1 will always sound better.

Start hoarding those V1's until they come out with V3's. :)

Toastybob, vector84 and hakuzen like this.
  10. Viber
    Batches of ears?

11. TJK81
    Yep, i'm lighter for 8bucks:blush:
    I don't see any usage with this adapter. Just only to increase output impedance to damp treble for ZS5, ZS6 respectively.

12. hakuzen
    i measured them, zs5 v1 and zs6. first one who did it and found the high peaks of zs6 was @HiFiChris .
    also measured their impedance curve, and compared their FR when using different tips and cables, sources and even impedance adapter.
    just search for our posts in this thread, and you will find the graphs, the link to HiFiChris' review and comparison, and will get the reason of the hub bub probably.
    the second BA in ZS5 v1 was connected, but buried into the shell. in v2 and ZS6, it is located in the nozzle, together with the other one. the treble big differences (about amplitude, at least) are evident.
    i also like ZS5 v1s, but i'm enjoying even more the ZS6 (after some minor eq to tame those peaks at 8.5kHz and 11kHz, which are from +5 to +9dB compared to ZS5 v1).
    but after seeing how different are maker specs compared to measured specs, my suspects of fast kz decisions and changes respond to marketing purposes way over engineering, are growing up.
    anyway, they can't be so lucky of getting so budget respectable iems continuously, so audio engineers must be doing well their job.

13. hakuzen
    [QUOTE="xrk971, post: 13807650, member: 470639"
    Siegfried Linkwitz shows how you can connect an IEM to a mic to measure frequency response. It's important to find a soft pliable tube that mimics the diameter, length, and softness of our ear canal. The length is important as that will cause resonance peaks and dips due to reflections off the ear drum and back into the IEM. This is why foam tips helps, they attenuate that hard impedance mismatch and soften the resonance peak. Usually it is at about 2.5kHz and 7kHz. Linkwitz even developed a passive notch filter for his Entymotic ER4's. He said it just won't sound right once you hear what it is supposed to sound like with that 2.5kHz and 7kHz peaks removed.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm

[​IMG]

Passive notch filter circuit:
    [​IMG]

So here is my hypothesis: adding that second BA driver right at the tip increases (by 2x) the hard material cross sectional area (the BA capsule) of stuff that can reflect sound and cause a resonance. This resonance has nothing to do with a different BA driver or even the crossover, it's where it is located, so it's purely an acoustic transmission line theory for modes of resonance. That's why adding foam earplug tips help. It's also why a small wad of foam or acoustic damping fluff helps. If this is true, it is kind of a design flaw for something that's supposed to be "an upgrade". If I am right, the V1 will always sound better.

Start hoarding those V1's until they come out with V3's. :)
    [/QUOTE]

thanks! interesting hypothesis. my actual knowledge doesn't reach those concepts yet. stimulant.

about the system to better measure an iem's fr with a mic, it seems that the iec711 couplers mimics the right distance but also ear resonances better than a tube. found some threads in this forum where discussing iem measuring rigs. i started with a tube, adjusting distances, but ending with artificial ears. it seems to get more accurate raw responses, but who knows, everything likes to be relative.

14. xrk971
    @hakuzen, I need to find your measurement protocol, but back-of-the-envelope calculation says 8.5kHz corresponds to a 2cm (1/2-wave reflection peak) distance from microphone diaphragm to location of front of the BA shells in the nozzle. Is that about right? I think the "standard" human ear canal has eardrum (biological mic diaphragm) is on average about 2.55cm or a 6700Hz peak. An 11kHz peak would imply something at 1.55cm deep - which may be the hard leading edge of the silicone earplug tip. So changing to foam tips may remove the 11kHz peak.

Toastybob and hakuzen like this.
  15. Wiljen
    Differences in DACs are likely to be masked by other components until you get well above the price point we are working in.
    I think you have gotten good advice on the amp from some others. I think with a little patience you can probably get a lot more amp for your dollar by purchasing from the classifieds here.

I do like the 9500 but to say they need a slight lift in the bass is an understatement. They have pretty severe roll off below about 100hz and sub-bass is just outright non-existent. On the other end of the spectrum, I don't find them exceedingly bright but they do have good treble extension. I would be very hesitant to try any non-reversible mod as I think the weaknesses in the 9500 are inherent to the driver and not likely to be "fixed" by external changes. I think I paid roughly $40 for mine on a black Friday sale so for the price, I have no complaints. I don't think they measure up to the Senn 598SE, but then I've never seen the 598 below $50 either.

Don't consider it wasted money, call it the cost of an education in audio. Even poor purchases teach us something.

loomisjohnson likes this.