Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 21, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #21,901 of 63,834
Well I have an un-trackable tracking number for my ZS6:rolling_eyes:

In the mean time my ZS5's with upgrade cables are lying dormant while I've really been liking the new and improved ZST SP cable:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Waiting to see what they come out with for the ZS6:wink:
Nice!

How are you liking the new cable? They look a lot more high-end than the silver replacement cable.

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #21,902 of 63,834
It is and for $7.53 it's is way better:thumbsup:

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #21,903 of 63,834
What you don't like and normally search ?

I doubt the price is a problem, drops are normal, especially on Gearbest. I found them a lot source and EQ sensitive, on the warm side, without sibilance, more congested than more expensive KZ models ( if we can say that ) and with a very microphonic cable. For the price they have a good potential, try messing with the EQ.

You mean like the cheaper/more expensive they are, the better/worse they sound or something?

I'm not sure I follow.

No, I bought them on pre sale/flash sale when they were initially released. The price was too good to pass, especially considering it was a dual driver and that the prices go up once the earphones are released.

I have the first gen ATEs and Zircons.
The ATE was a huge surprise considering that it was my first Chinese IEM. For that price you could only get junk at the local store. They had a strong bass but then I read that they come from the factory with glue on the breathing holes and that they sound much better if you remove it. After struggling to remove the soft glue from the holes, the sound changed so much that I thought I damaged the driver. Almost zero bass and much more "airy" with a bigger sound stage.

The Zircons are my go to IEM. Great price and build quality, good sound insolation but they can be too bassy at times.

Now the ZSE..
I was watching a movie with them and I just couldn't take it. During a driving scene the engine noise and bass were close while the voices were recessed and distant to the point that I couldn't make out what they were saying.
Same thing with music. They sound dark. The bass is strong, not too precise, vocals way behind, probably outside in the yard behind the shed.
I did burn them in and I used only them for a couple of days. They are not terrible, you can get used to them and they don't sound too bad, but when I switch to the other two it's night and day difference. The ZSE sound cheap compared to them. That's why I asked if that's price related.

One more thing, I've read that they are airy because they have an open back, but mine don't feel like that and they don't leak sound. Could it be that they also glued shut? lol

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #21,904 of 63,834
No, I bought them on pre sale/flash sale when they were initially released. The price was too good to pass, especially considering it was a dual driver and that the prices go up once the earphones are released.

I have the first gen ATEs and Zircons.
The ATE was a huge surprise considering that it was my first Chinese IEM. For that price you could only get junk at the local store. They had a strong bass but then I read that they come from the factory with glue on the breathing holes and that they sound much better if you remove it. After struggling to remove the soft glue from the holes, the sound changed so much that I thought I damaged the driver. Almost zero bass and much more "airy" with a bigger sound stage.

The Zircons are my go to IEM. Great price and build quality, good sound insolation but they can be too bassy at times.

Now the ZSE..
I was watching a movie with them and I just couldn't take it. During a driving scene the engine noise and bass were close while the voices were recessed and distant to the point that I couldn't make out what they were saying.
Same thing with music. They sound dark. The bass is strong, not too precise, vocals way behind, probably outside in the yard behind the shed.
I did burn them in and I used only them for a couple of days. They are not terrible, you can get used to them and they don't sound too bad, but when I switch to the other two it's night and day difference. The ZSE sound cheap compared to them. That's why I asked if that's price related.

One more thing, I've read that they are airy because they have an open back, but mine don't feel like that and they don't leak sound. Could it be that they also glued shut? lol

Your description could resemble the ATR a bit.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #21,908 of 63,834
You've been on Head-Fi for 6 years. You should remember what $5 could get you back then, I know I do. The ATR would murder any other $5 offering from back then.
Good point... I don't have an ATR, but my ES3 and ZS5 are far superior to the $60 dual dynamic I got from brainwavZ 5 years ago.....

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #21,909 of 63,834
BTW, Gearbest sale is going on for ZST Colorful...

Screenshot_20170921-150217.jpg

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #21,910 of 63,834

Now the ZSE..

Don't leak sound ?!? Very strange, my pair leak, and i have buy them from the official KZ store on Aliexpress.

I also have a pair of Zircons. With my source and it's own tips ( normal silicon - starline KZ on ZSE ), they are more dark than my ZSE, the bass overblown too much and sometimes they are sibilant.
ZSE are overall better to me, with a better soundstage, and more details. They lack something on vocals, but can also gain something good from EQ, where Zircons became harsher.

Maybe your pair have some malfunctions.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #21,911 of 63,834
I have a favor to ask. Can you guys try these EQ setting on the ZS5 and tell if they sound good to you? I used foobar through my ZuperDAC. Anything not mentioned is flat zero.
220= -2
311 = -1
440 = - .5
622 = -2
880 = -1
1.2 = -1
1.8 = -2
2.5 = -.5
3.5 = -1
5 = -1.5
7 = -2.5
10 = -2.5
14 = -2.5
20 = -2.5

Ya ya I know, there goes the brightness....TIA.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #21,912 of 63,834
Which equalizer is this? I use "Graphic Equalizer" and there's not enough options.

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #21,913 of 63,834
I explained it hundreds of pages ago in this thread, but it's just easier to give you the short story:

- I only used the short filters because the long ones stick out of my ear uncomfortably
- I find that the treble is very boosted and sibilant. It's especially bad with Mac Demarco's guitars
- The bass is fun, but also very boomy. It's fatiguing on deep house music
- The mids are weird. Vocals sound thin. Music sounds thin
- Soundstage is really good, but that's due to the boosted treble

The general impression is of an overly bright earphone that sounds thin and has boomy bass. It is the most fatiguing listening experience ever.
mine sound great

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #21,914 of 63,834
Don't leak sound ?!? Very strange, my pair leak, and i have buy them from the official KZ store on Aliexpress.

I also have a pair of Zircons. With my source and it's own tips ( normal silicon - starline KZ on ZSE ), they are more dark than my ZSE, the bass overblown too much and sometimes they are sibilant.
ZSE are overall better to me, with a better soundstage, and more details. They lack something on vocals, but can also gain something good from EQ, where Zircons became harsher.

Maybe your pair have some malfunctions.

Yes. I have to turn the volume to max and bring them close to my ear in order to hear leaking sound.
I got the first batch from gearbest. I don't want to spend time trying to open them in order to see what's going on inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back