Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 18, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #21,781 of 63,832
How do you pull apart the ATE shells pls? I dont want to destroy them :D

I used "vice grip" locking pliers (the method that a number of others also used to open the same model), which have an adjustable tension. I adjusted them so they fit the shell when closed. Then I opened them, adjusted the tension just a BARELY bit tighter. Then used them to squeeze the shell right at the seam. The halves pop right apart when using that method. Easiest shell I've ever opened.

If you're still confused, I can make a short video and post it up.

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #21,782 of 63,832
Yes, I installed ED9 brass nozzles. Overall length of nozzle is 1-2mm shorter which makes them more comfort for me. Main difference is nozzle inner diameter size - which, with ED9 nozzles increases noticeably - making mids and highs more clear and present and reduces bass boominess and presence. I also tuned ED9 nozzle tips little with grinding the edge into "trompet" shape. You can`t see ed9 nozzles on pic bc of tips (but relfection through black plastic is noticeably if You look closely.
1st You need to cut off smaller diameter nozzle part and then build special bracket for drilling-bench to hold ATE shells in place and drill only deep as ED9 nozzle winding is. Any further may cause membrane braking.

That's tits man, thanks for the info. I'll work on that this weekend.

You're right though - the stock nozzles on the ATE are looong.

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #21,783 of 63,832
That's tits man, thanks for the info. I'll work on that this weekend.

You're right though - the stock nozzles on the ATE are looong.

Post pics if You are done :wink:

Good luck and BE CAREFUL with drilling! Make sure drill-bench is on low rpm (to not to melt plastic) and lower drill head VERY slowly.

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #21,784 of 63,832
Y'know those resistance numbers struck me as a bit high so I went and did a little napkin math...

That should make them roughly equivalent to 30, 32 and 33 awg, right?

Is 33 awg really "good enough"? I admit my knowledge on the subject of audio cabling is limited but just from an electrical standpoint, given the power involved... I think that'd be in the neighborhood of 10-20+% voltage drop in the cables at the power ratings for the IEMs they're driving? That doesn't seem great...
(and then if that math is right, I think anything besides the stock cable should be "good enough"?)

I can't help but wonder if this is an intentionally flawed design? :shrug:

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #21,785 of 63,832
My ZS3 (and the DZAT DF-10) just arrived. Woot!

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #21,786 of 63,832
It's clearly not supposed to do that. Probably the plug don't fit well enough, because they aren't for the ZS5, but for ZST and similar line ( like ES3 ).

We are talking about cables that are a cheap upgrade but important for evade microphonics, have more durability and add a bit esthetic touch. "If" there is some sound impact, have to be marginal and for the best, because of the lighter impedance.

I tried it again yesterday and I think you were right. Cause now they sound the same.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #21,789 of 63,832
Y'know those resistance numbers struck me as a bit high so I went and did a little napkin math...

That should make them roughly equivalent to 30, 32 and 33 awg, right?

Is 33 awg really "good enough"? I admit my knowledge on the subject of audio cabling is limited but just from an electrical standpoint, given the power involved... I think that'd be in the neighborhood of 10-20+% voltage drop in the cables at the power ratings for the IEMs they're driving? That doesn't seem great...
(and then if that math is right, I think anything besides the stock cable should be "good enough"?)

I can't help but wonder if this is an intentionally flawed design? :shrug:

i don't know the equivalent awg, maybe different materials (types of copper, silver..) have different resistance coefficient, and guess that the contacts (jacks) also show some resistance.
but yes, not only the voltage/power drop but also the impedance interaction between the source and some low-impedance-high-sensitivity balanced armatures should concern us.

zs5 is 8Ω (even someone measured 4Ω or 5Ω and posted in this thread), 2xBA. i guess that's why people say they are source high dependent (bet they don't pair well with "high" output impedance sources -above 1Ω- nor with sources using low capacity coupling caps: too much tonal alterations). i've ordered zs5 v2 just to check that (and if so, to replace the pai audio mr3 from my test rig, wouldn't like to damage them).
so an appropriated source and lowest possible added resistance could be a must to preserve original zs5 tonality. when they arrive, i'll post the results.

my best cables are usually the thickest (total awg) and show the lowest DC resistance, regardless of being copper, silver plated, silver, ofc, 4N, 5N, 6N, 7N (most being longer than 1m or 1.2m), although i suppose that many other factors are involved (i know nothing..):
impact audio infinite (eidolic plugs), 5N copper, 4 strands: 0.19Ω
pure silver 7N 8 (narrow) cores: 0.29Ω
stock he400i cable: 0.34Ω
canare star quad L-4E6S (copper, 4 wires, pailics plugs): 0.05Ω (the thickest ones, maybe too stiff and heavy to be used with earphones; used as interconnection)
guess a good balance between flexibility, microphonics, and resistance should be the goal.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #21,790 of 63,832
hi guys , after a month of use my left side of zs5 doesn't work anymore, how can i do ?? i think is the insert of the pins, thanks

If you have a multimeter, would suggest checking if there is a continuity in the circuit between the 2 pins when you unplug the cable. Then check the continuity of the cable you're using for continuity.

If its the latter, and the continuity for the earphone is fine, then its probably just a simple cable damage issue, you can get a replacement for them quite easily.

If its the earphone not responding to continuity check, then its really if there is a warranty claim left for them though.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #21,791 of 63,832
This conversation IS pointless.

Campfire can legally defend itself, if they want. There is no need for us to spend time talking about that. Who cares ?

We are all here for talking about how we perceive sound, recommend something and try make an upgrade to what we listen.
+100

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #21,792 of 63,832
[Mod Comment]

I've just edited some posts. Can we please stop the debate about Campfire vs KZ. If Campfire chooses to take legal action, I have no doubt that KZ would be in breach - but that is their decision, and shouldn't be debated here - especially when it is leading to arguments. If the conversation continues, I will have no choice but to take action. No-one wants that. Please get back to discussing the KZ earphones. Thanks
Thank you, thank you Brooko!

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #21,794 of 63,832
They are source sensitive. Generally, it seems that if you have a clean source with plenty of driving power, they sound better.

Some people are listening to them with less than stellar sources and coupled with their sometime inconsistent quality control, it makes for some pretty varied responses to them it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back