Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 8, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #19,698 of 56,800

ryokun

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I just ordered a ZS5+the upgraded silver cable from a local online shop and I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow. I heard there's some QC issue? I'm new to the audio scene so I can't really differentiate a faulty unit and a good one. Can someone here help me so I can return the IEM if I get a bad one? Thanks!

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #19,699 of 56,800

peskypesky

1000+ Head-Fier
So that's two less than spectacular reviews of the ZSE already then :confused: - not the ZS5 killers as advertised. A new KZ earphone is always of interest though mine are still on route
Where's that hype train image?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #19,700 of 56,800

Vidal

Member of the Trade: Asian Provocative Ear
ZSE vs ZS5 - ZS5 are superior without question, ZSE lack the resolution and detail of the ZS5s.

The ZSE remind me of the ZS3 (they have more detail than ZS3) in that they're surprisingly good despite being a little warm and not having a huge amount of detail - a low res hero if you will.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #19,701 of 56,800

vector84

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I just ordered a ZS5+the upgraded silver cable from a local online shop and I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow. I heard there's some QC issue? I'm new to the audio scene so I can't really differentiate a faulty unit and a good one. Can someone here help me so I can return the IEM if I get a bad one? Thanks!
Most of the QC issues with the ZS5 have been phase (polarity) related and have been seen in both cables and the iems themselves (so check for phase issues with both cables).

Make sure you insert the cables the right way first.
Then phase is pretty easy to test and results should be relatively obvious when playing samples - audiocheck.net has some nice tests (a comprehensive headphone suite and a phase specific set) or you could google something like "headphone phase test" and try your luck, most should produce pretty obvious results when switching between in phase and out of phase samples.

If the results from the phase test are switched, you can swap the cable direction on one of the iems to fix the issue, though you'll want to modify the cable somehow if you plan to keep using them like that.

Some of the other QC issues that seem quite a bit rarer are going to be harder to pin down. Fit and tip selection can have a pretty huge impact on their sound, so you'll want to try playing around there for a bit. If nothing works and they just sound horrible no matter what you do (or just sometimes sound horrible?) then you might suspect one of the rarer QC issues.

And if anyone cares about my adventure, I heard back from Banggood and they told me they test everything before shipping (isn't that what they all say? but...) and given the measurements I provided (some uncalibrated side-by-side frequency response plots) that would appear to be caused by damage during shipping. So another set is on the way. Guess a 10 dB channel imbalance was pretty convincing :wink:

If they don't want the old ones back, maybe I should tear them apart and see if there's anything obviously strange going on inside... :thinking:

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #19,702 of 56,800

BrunoC

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks for the tip....but I'm no fan

Where's that hype train image?

That being said, I'm pretty underwhelmed with the ZS5s....glad I only paid $17 for them. I think they sound anemic when compared to my Rock Zircons and KZ ED9s.

Well, in my case, each time it put on the ZS5, it still impresses me with the overall clarity and balanced sound. Also the soundstage is very impressive. YMMV really, but for me the ZS5 is the best $20 chifi deal.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #19,704 of 56,800

Arkady Duntov

100+ Head-Fier
You got the link and some PIC's? ....would like to see how they look.

https://www.amazon.com/Earphones-****-KZ-ZSE-headphones/dp/B0747S7BFV

[edit: I tried to post an image but it didn't seem to work. I guess I don't know what I'm doing.]

Attachments

• kz-zse.jpg
    kz-zse.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 8, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #19,705 of 56,800

mono-type

1000+ Head-Fier
This post from 13 pages ago. :laughing:

[edit: I tried to post an image but it didn't seem to work. I guess I don't know what I'm doing.]
Simply drag the image you want to post on the field where you write your post. Something like this

On a side note, dunno if my ears are just getting used to the sound, but after a few hours of listening to it. I finally appreciate the sound signature the ZSE has. IMO, it's definitely have a warmer and darker sound than the ZS3 (especially when compared to a ZS3 with Slater mod + SPC cable + small stock silicone tips), and that says something, since ZS3 is considered a warm and dark IEM. The sound sig the ZSE had makes it a fun listen.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #19,707 of 56,800

khighly

100+ Head-Fier
So that's two less than spectacular reviews of the ZSE already then :confused: - not the ZS5 killers as advertised. A new KZ earphone is always of interest though mine are still on route
Never go with the very first hype if you're on the edge about an IEM.

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #19,709 of 56,800

Slater

Headphoneus Supremus
Just found out that Etymotic foams go really well with the ZSE. Luckily I had quite a lot lying about.

61t5EAPu9mL._SX355_.jpg

How is the comfort with those? They don't appear overly ergonomic, so I'm just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread