Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 25, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #19,231 of 63,834
LOL glad to see everyone enjoying their ZS5s

My one and only gripe with the ZS5 is over time as the oils/wax from your ear migrates to the nozzle (yes ewww) the starline tips come off quite easily as there isn't a notch on the nozzle like the ZST. I've lost 2 tips on separate occasions already...thankfully replacements are not too expensive but I only use the M size so have a fair number of large and small leftover. Alternatively you can put them in a box, but then these are my daily drivers now and I just tie them up (figure 8 style) and leave them in a side pocket in my bag...

You could always glue the tips on. Many people do that to IEMs with no ill effects. It's not permanent because glue doesn't adhere to silicone; think of it as semi-permanent.

I had to glue the tips onto my MEMT X5 because the nozzle is really short and I got tired of the tips just falling off whenever I'd remove the X5 and clean the tips before storage.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #19,232 of 63,834
IMG_8142.JPG

Penon order just arrived!

..currently using the 1more quads as my daily's, particularly interested to hear how the ZS5 goes with/without the 'upgrade' cable, as well as the differences when paired with my DFB 1.5..

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #19,233 of 63,834

..currently using the 1more quads as my daily's, particularly interested to hear how the ZS5 goes with/without the 'upgrade' cable, as well as the differences when paired with my DFB 1.5..

Nice setup! You know it's ChiFi when the carrying case costs as much as the IEM LOL

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #19,234 of 63,834

Let me know your thoughts re: the silver cable. I thought it was a noticeable downgrade from the stock cable, but I'm wondering if it's just some connectivity issue/problem with the cable itself.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #19,235 of 63,834
You could always glue the tips on. Many people do that to IEMs with no ill effects. It's not permanent because glue doesn't adhere to silicone; think of it as semi-permanent.

I had to glue the tips onto my MEMT X5 because the nozzle is really short and I got tired of the tips just falling off whenever I'd remove the X5 and clean the tips before storage.

Use normal glue (elmer's, UHU etc.) or super glue (Cyanoacrylates)? I've had cases where super glue damages certain plastics or paint/coatings...

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #19,236 of 63,834
LOL glad to see everyone enjoying their ZS5s

My one and only gripe with the ZS5 is over time as the oils/wax from your ear migrates to the nozzle (yes ewww) the starline tips come off quite easily as there isn't a notch on the nozzle like the ZST. I've lost 2 tips on separate occasions already...thankfully replacements are not too expensive but I only use the M size so have a fair number of large and small leftover. Alternatively you can put them in a box, but then these are my daily drivers now and I just tie them up (figure 8 style) and leave them in a side pocket in my bag...

You can also cut off a small part of a smaller tip you don't use and use it to create your own notch and they'll not fall of again. Had to do this when using certain tips on my tennmk cellos.

Am going to do this on my ZS5s to as having the same problem as you.

On another note, I always use the medium starline tips, but with the ZS5s.i used the large size and it gave me a better deal and improved the base.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #19,237 of 63,834
Use normal glue (elmer's, UHU etc.) or super glue (Cyanoacrylates)? I've had cases where super glue damages certain plastics or paint/coatings...

I used a glue I had that was designed to glue rubber and whatnot. It was some sort of liquid nails product.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #19,238 of 63,834
You can also cut off a small part of a smaller tip you don't use and use it to create your own notch and they'll not fall of again. Had to do this when using certain tips on my tennmk cellos.

Am going to do this on my ZS5s to as having the same problem as you.

On another note, I always use the medium starline tips, but with the ZS5s.i used the large size and it gave me a better deal and improved the base.

Hmmm, I can't picture what you're describing. Do you have a photo?

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #19,239 of 63,834
Hmmm, I can't picture what you're describing. Do you have a photo?

I'll do it later and post one.

Imagine turning a tip inside out exposing the part that attaches to the nozzle and then cutting off a a few milimetres, giving you a small ring which you can place on the nozzle.

If that's of a tip with a small diameter it will have a greater grip. Pull the starline tips over this and it'll stop on.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #19,240 of 63,834
I'll do it later and post one.

Imagine turning a tip inside out exposing the part that attaches to the nozzle and then cutting off a a few milimetres, giving you a small ring which you can place on the nozzle.

If that's of a tip with a small diameter it will have a greater grip. Pull the starline tips over this and it'll stop on.

Got it; I can picture it now. You could probably also use a small o-ring (which is in effect what you made by cutting a "slice" of an eartip nozzle).

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #19,241 of 63,834
Man, I'm getting mixed feedback on the ZS5. I dunno if it's the one I should buy next, or should I wait for the ZSE? (in my place, it's still not on sale locally; don't wanna risk buying it online) I need to A-B the ZS5 along with ZS3 the next time I visit my nearby headphone store...

Also, we are on the same boat regarding the ZS3 lol.:beerchug: Like you, it's almost stuck on my ears. It's like I almost ignore all of my other headphones/earphones. :laughing:

I would definately also try the ZS5. Technically it's the best KZ probably. It's just that somehow the ZS3 has my preference for now but I'm probably in the minority. The ZS5 is very good.

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #19,242 of 63,834
My KZ ZS5;s arrived yesterday. Have been listening to them ever since I unboxed them. Rather impressed for the $20 I spent. They actually remind me a little of my GR07 CC's, but with a wider, but less 3D, soundstage and more pronounced sub bass. Comfort is not great and the cable is actually pretty horrible; very microphonic and flimsy. Still, it's bizarre how much SQ you can get these days for so little cash.

When I first tried them out, the soundstage was incredibly wonky, with no defined center and a massive channel imbalance. Was about to bin them, thinking I bought into another dumb hype, but found out I caused them to play out of phase because I didn't connect the cables the right way. :D The "L" and "R" on the cables need to point outwards, not inwards. If you mix these up, everything sounds wrong. Duh. I should have read Slaterlovesspam's signature! :p

20449252_1658497467493756_4057823779583889204_o.jpg

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #19,243 of 63,834
This is my first experience with a IEM, and after some days with a pair of ZS5 I must admit these are a truly jewel. They have better level of detail than my other headphones, Fidelio X2 and Beyerdynamics DT 770 250 ohm. They are surprisingly good with jazz and classical music. They meet the most complex passages with great solvency. I'm using generic comply foams. The silicon tips don't isolate very well. My only complain is confort, but I suppose this is common to most of IEM.

Have a good day, friends :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back