Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 25, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #15,661 of 63,834
The whole point of most KZ headphones is to buy the best bang-for-the-buck i.e.m.s out there.

The whole point of KZ is to make you buy half a dozen (or more...) IEMs and before you know it, you spent a small fortune on cheap IEMs!

I just bought myself a Marshall Mode for $60 CAD ($50 USD in the US amazon) and blows the ED9s out of the water.

I mean, $50 isn't a huge expense compared to $15 or $20. It's double or triple, I know. But you get an ergonomic earbud with a neater wire and a big, smooth sound without harshness or overwhelming boomy bass. They're perfect in every way, so $50 is a steal.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #15,662 of 63,834
  If you can afford something like the Fiio M3 or xDuoo X2, they're both relatively inexpensive and should be more than sufficient for the task.  I'm sure there are other inexpensive suggestions, too.

I personally came from the M3. Love the bulletproof though plain UI though the more expensive Shanling M1 sounds more detailed and doesnt have a 48000hz sampling file limitation. I would recommend saving up longer and jumping straight to xDuoo X10, Shanling M1 or Fiio X1 second gen if possible. Especially for lossless files a decent source is a important start.
The whole point of KZ is to make you buy half a dozen (or more...) IEMs and before you know it, you spent a small fortune on cheap IEMs!

I just bought myself a Marshall Mode for $60 CAD ($50 USD in the US amazon) and blows the ED9s out of the water.

I mean, $50 isn't a huge expense compared to $15 or $20. It's double or triple, I know. But you get an ergonomic earbud with a neater wire and a big, smooth sound without harshness or overwhelming boomy bass. They're perfect in every way, so $50 is a steal.

Yeah for me I haven't been as trigger happy to try but my ZS3 is starting to lose sound at the left side (suspect loose cable joint in the housing). 

TBH if you guys can demo from friends I also find the Marshall Mode pretty decent. Unoffensive sound, no treble or bass shenanigans but I don't have an association with Marshall and it is not a native over-ear design so not pulling the trigger yet. Similar to my UE400/500 but without the flimsy build quality and still cheaper when comparing new prices.

I just got my KZ ATRs but didn't realise my laptop volume was maxed when I plugged them in :frowning2: I think there is no damage hopefully?
A quick listen is that they seem better than the last time I demoed. Also inoffensive fresh out of the box. Coming from the ZS3, the bass/subbass is not missing but less than the ZS3. Sound is less "in your face" and slightly less spatial cues. Will let them do the burn in overnight in case they improve. Seems to be less sensitive to drive compared to the ZS3 too, I hope it is not because I maxed the volume just now...

Edit: quick update, yeah the sound signature is more palatable. Slightly more extended but less natural sounding (not shrill but lacking in texture) for treble. Overall better signature than ZS3 for general listening but if they can make the treble more natural it's pretty good. Only other observation is that ATR being cheaper does not resolve sound at the detail level of the ZS3. But it's really nit-picking, 80-90% of separation and clarity is still there.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #15,663 of 63,834
  Look what came in the mail! 

Time to give this a go. Ordered the purple tho. bummer the carbon ones came. If i like it might just order one from gearbest or when theres a sale! 

If anyone is curious or does not know, the silver cables have a memory portion at the usual position. and im glad the KZ came with starline tips pre-installed! 

Loving the soundstage thus far!

Hi, did the silver cable come with it's own carrying case or did you buy it separately? I've heard that KZs don't have the best of build qualities and I am wondering about buying a hard shell case.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #15,665 of 63,834
Hello Head-Fi'ers! I recently bought a pair of KZ ZST Candy Edition headphones, here are my impressions.

First, I'll start with the negatives, But don't get me wrong, I quite like these IEMs. firstly, The cables can be extremely hard to unplug from the earpieces, which for a removeable cable, kinda defeats the purpose. To some, these IEMs look a little Gaudy, but I won't really consider that a negative as it is all opinion. and the last thing, which really is just a gripe, is that there are no markings on the actual earpieces for Left or Right, which can be a little confusing.

Now for the positives. Let me preface this; these are my first pair of "good" IEMs. I've listened to the cheapest of the cheap all the way to the slightly less cheap of the cheap, but I have to say, these are the best I have owned. The bass is nice and punchy, the trebles are not too harsh, but very well defined. They drive quite well from my phone (Lg G3) and even better from my DAP (Fiio X1). I am in the process of tracking down my lost Fiio E11 amp, and will put up an update when I find it. I do find that sometimes higher (freddie Mercury) and slightly lower vocals can be a bit recessed, but nothing too bad.

Overall, for the $22CAD I payed for these, they are an absolute steal!
If you don't like the standard cable i recommend you get the silver cable off aliexpress it put more stylish to the iem and also the sound.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #15,666 of 63,834
I can't really comment on those headphones since I don't have any and likely never will.

However, if someone tells you that the ZST's are bad, they're deaf or lying.

If you spend a week lisltening to the ZST's, your brain will turn them into priceless IEM's. I just tried with Pearl Jam - Soon Forget again and by the end of the first song with my eyes closed I could easily well which way his head was moving and the intricate reflections off of different parts of the ear. It really is wild.

I'd be interested in blind tests of the ZST versus something comparable in sound signature in the Campfire Audio line.
But why you said that.This is most branded audio equipment that been use by the professional.Why,cuz you like it cheap?.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #15,669 of 63,834
OKAY SINCE THIS THREADS HAS A THOUSAND PAGES, I WILL LIKE TO KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS ON KZ IEM EXPERIENCE. PLEASE TELL ANSWER DOWN BELOW IF YOU ARE THE KZ NATION GANG:)

KZ NATION EXPERIENCE THOUGHTS QUESTIONS:

1.WHAT IS THE MOST YOU LOVE ABOUT KZ IEM?
2.WHERE OR WHEN DO YOU HEAR ABOUT KZ ?
3.WHAT IS THE MOST PREFERRED KZ THAT YOU LIKE ?
4.HOW MANY KZs DO YOU HAVE RIGHT NOW?
5.WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR KZ?
6.WHAT AUDIO EQUIPMENT DO YOU USE TO LISTEN TO KZ?
7.ARE WE THE KZ NATION?
8.ARE HYPE FOR NEW IEM(KZ ZSR) COMING OUT ON FEB?
9.DID YOUR LIKE YOUR KZ? AND WANTED TO BUY MORE OF THEM?

THANKS FOR ALL WHO PARTICIPATED IN THIS SURVEY THAT I'VE MADE AND I LIKE FOOD BYE.... JUST KIDDING :blush::blush: I MIGHT AS WELL LOVE KZ IEM.

:musical_note:MUS1C:musical_note:

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #15,670 of 63,834
  Hi, did the silver cable come with it's own carrying case or did you buy it separately? I've heard that KZs don't have the best of build qualities and I am wondering about buying a hard shell case.

it doesn't come with the zst you need to buy it separately.

Actually the case came as a surprise. i bought the ZST, the cable and 2 sets of starline tips. For some reason the case came with it.

For reference, i bought it from this shop. Just a disclaimer, im not affiliated to this shop for whatever reason. 

https://shop59481728.world.taobao.com/?spm=a312a.7728556.2015080705.3.x2bSRj

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #15,671 of 63,834
Yeah, I got that same box with my ZST + upgrade cable from another taobao shop.  Most sellers on taobao throw in freebies, mine came with that box, ear guides and a set of foam tips (really poor ones though).

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #15,672 of 63,834
Jan 26, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #15,673 of 63,834
I think the seller is really generous to give you the case.

I must be really lucky then! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #15,675 of 63,834
Actually the KZ case comes together with the ZST/ZS3 silver cable if i'm not mistaken. Bought from Taobao, i see most sellers there includes the case when you buy the silver cable.

The case wasn't included with the one I bought. Also the ZS3 cable I sourced didn't fit the ZST fully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back