Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 24, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #15,631 of 63,802
Quote:

Is that what I said?  
blink.gif

You said

Quote:
  While IEMs do not require amplification, in many cases, adding an amplifier can help to round out the sound or fill out certain frequency ranges, it's not just about the volume.  it doesn't justify the wholesale write-off of the use of amplification for efficient headphones

The discussion in context was the ZST (amazon review) stating it needed an amp to sound good. They don't need an amp and if you want to improve the sound quality a DAC/DAP is better investment. Based on your follow up I'm now guessing your comment had no relation to the ongoing discussion and you just jumped in without reading the context? My apologies for thinking your comments were relevant and my mistake was believing you were adding something to the points being discussed at the time. I hope your crusade against 'anti-audiophile zealotry goes well.

My view is that using an amp to alter/improve the sound of low impedance IEM is like cutting your hair with a stanley knife, scissors (DAC) or trimmers (DAP) are better tools for that. Especially when you consider some amps will add noise.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #15,632 of 63,802
My view is that using an amp to alter/improve the sound of low impedance IEM is like cutting your hair with a stanley knife, scissors (DAC) or trimmers (DAP) are better tools for that. Especially when you consider some amps will add noise.

Well, a DAC needs an amp and many DAPs have a line out output setting, I wonder why this is...? :rolleyes:

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #15,634 of 63,802
Well, a DAC needs an amp and many DAPs have a line out output setting, I wonder why this is...?
rolleyes.gif

With low impedance IEMs I genuinely can't think of any DAC that does need an amp. Fiio K1 doesn't, Chord Mojo doesn't, Dragonfly doesn't, Meridan Explorer doesn't.

DAP has a line out (setting) because people connect them to home HiFi, Car HiFi or to an amp when they have higher impedance headphones such as AKG K701, Senn HD600 etc.

I hope that helps with the wondering 
popcorn.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #15,635 of 63,802
I use these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Pairs-4-Pieces-Comply-T200-Earphone-Tips-Memory-Foam-Sponge-Ear-Pads-For-4-0mm/32725601009.html

I use them because one of my ear canals are not like the other, and silicon tips hurt.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #15,636 of 63,802
  I use these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Pairs-4-Pieces-Comply-T200-Earphone-Tips-Memory-Foam-Sponge-Ear-Pads-For-4-0mm/32725601009.html

I use them because one of my ear canals are not like the other, and silicon tips hurt.

Comply TX-400 Isolation Plus Ear Tips. I also use the Comfort version. Night and day from silicone tips. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #15,639 of 63,802
With low impedance IEMs I genuinely can't think of any DAC that does need an amp. Fiio K1 doesn't, Chord Mojo doesn't, Dragonfly doesn't, Meridan Explorer doesn't.

All those are actually integrated DAC/Amplifier units if I am not mistaken...

Vidal said:
DAP has a line out (setting) because people connect them to home HiFi, Car HiFi or to an amp when they have higher impedance headphones such as AKG K701, Senn HD600 etc.

Or maybe also for those people who want a higher quality amplification than the built-in amplifier stage their DAP provides...

Vidal said:
 I hope that helps with the wondering :popcorn:  

Rhetorical question as you've certainly noticed... :wink:

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #15,641 of 63,802
All those are actually integrated DAC/Amplifier units if I am not mistaken...
Or maybe also for those people who want a higher quality amplification than the built-in amplifier stage their DAP provides...
Rhetorical question as you've certainly noticed...
wink.gif

Context to this discussion -

* Amazon reviewer says KZ ZST needs a amp to fill out it's sound

I'm saying that it doesn't need an amp and that if you're trying to fill out/improve the sound then a DAC or decent DAP would be a better investment.

Not aware of any dac that doesn't have an integrated amplifier in some form, even one that outputs to phono has to have some sort of amplifier to output as an analogue signal. Maybe I've missed it but please name a few?

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #15,644 of 63,802
Context to this discussion -

* Amazon reviewer says KZ ZST needs a amp to fill out it's sound

I'm saying that it doesn't need an amp and that if you're trying to fill out/improve the sound then a DAC or decent DAP would be a better investment.

Not aware of any dac that doesn't have an integrated amplifier in some form, even one that outputs to phono has to have some sort of amplifier to output as an analogue signal. Maybe I've missed it but please name a few?

You should connect line out to any line in but not phono which has a preamplifier stage and is for use for signals coming from turntables if I am not mistaken.

Most if not all high end standalone DAC as well pro-grade PC soundcards don't have built-in amplifiers, they just convert a digital signal to an electrical one which gets amplified in another device you connect them to, for example my lovely ESI Juli@ card.

Context to this discussion is also all the crazy statements made by Ruben in the last few pages...

As for the ZST issue, I've decommissioned mine as well as most of my other KZs it because they don't hold a candle to my better IEMs on my desktop setup, they scale up OK on lower end devices where my better IEMs can't fully express their potential however. YMMV.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #15,645 of 63,802
Take over this discussion to the Sound Science board -which none of you would actually- and discuss further over there. The many audio engineers etc. who post over there would be happy to explain and not find my statements to be crazy at all chickenmoon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back