Knotting The Cords?
Feb 28, 2006 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GSTom1

500+ Head-Fier
I just got a new pair of Etymotic Er-6is and plan to use them everyday for commuting to and from work (on the subway) and for use in the gym. My main concern is the durability of these headphones, an area where two pairs of Sony EX-71s failed.

Walking around New York and riding the subways, I noticed some people tie small knots on their headphone wires. I’ve seen them on the main cord and on the smaller left and right channel cords too. I assume people do this so in case the cord gets yanked, a lot of the pressure is applied to the knot instead of the connection point between the cord and the ear pieces. A sort of safeguard to prevent the wire from ripping from ear pieces.

Do any of you guys do this with your headphones and is this recommended? Will the knots cause any long term damage to the headphones?

Thanks for your help.

eggosmile.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 4
any twisting of the cord can eventually result in breakage of the wires inside. The best of course is to just not get your phones yanked on. I liked wearing my Shure E4's cord up the back of my shirt, which resulted with just a couple small leads running from the back of my ears down my neck.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Can the er6i shirt clip act as a safeguard, or does the cord run through it loosely?

You have to use your hand to pull the cord to have it move through the loop. At least that's the case with my ER6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back