Knobs - without indicators
Jul 15, 2008 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

error401

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone know where to find a large aluminum knob without a position indicator? I'm using a digital volume control on a couple amps and the indicator makes no sense, but I can't find any that omit it.

All I really want is a slightly beveled cylindrical chunk of aluminum with a 6mm hole in the back and a set screw or two. Say 45mm diameter, 20mm height. Like what you can find all over the place, but they all have indicators.

Any suggestions? All I've found so far are the stainless knobs from THL at $80 per, which is beyond my means.

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 7
Those are both for splined shafts. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they will work with the standard cut-off shaft that's designed for set screw mounting.

I did see the second ones though and almost pulled the trigger before I realized this!

Edit: Hmm. Looked a bit more closely and maybe this will work: http://cgi.ebay.com/48x29-SOLID-Alum...QQcmdZViewItem, my encoders do have that shaft shape, I just wonder if the dimensions are right and whether or not there's an indicator you can't see in the photo, like a notch in that raised ring.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 7
Audiokit Home Page. Great shipping. I trust 'em.

Otherwise, you'll need to poke around this here DIY forum, searching for knobs. Finding the right one takes forever.

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Hmm. Looked a bit more closely and maybe this will work: 48x29 SOLID Aluminum TUBE AMP DIY VOL. TONE Rotary KNOB - eBay (item 300241040703 end time Jul-18-08 00:03:53 PDT), my encoders do have that shaft shape, I just wonder if the dimensions are right and whether or not there's an indicator you can't see in the photo, like a notch in that raised ring.

The aluminum knop under that link is the one on the lower-right side in the pic below. It does not have an indicator, but it's made for D-shaft, has no screw and therefore not suitable for the standard cut-off shaft that's designed for screw mounting. The knop is made of (soft) aluminium and does not have the fine looks and feel of the DACT knops I used, but for the price I think it's OK.

Afbeelding489.jpg

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks Ferrari! I appreciate the info and I've just ordered one of these. I think it will work for me; encoders with D shafts are easy to find. I've ordered some other smaller knobs from PARTSPIPE and been satisfied with the quality for the price, so they should be fine for me.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back