knife-fi?
Mar 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #721 of 2,248
Quote:
Could I take a knife like the kershaw blackout somewhere to have the blade reshaped/resized? I could also remove the assist spring. That way I could have a 2.4" blade with a full size handle. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

Doable, but you'd likely spend as much money as the knife originally costs to get this done. Not sure of the Blackout has a blade detent other than the SpeedSafe spring, so there might be usability issues there too.

I'd recommend getting a Spyderco Dragonfly instead. Blade length is 2.25" and the finger choil allows a full grip even with the short handle. Pricing is reasonable  with a ~$40 FRN model, a ~ $50 stainless model, and a ~ $70 G10 model.

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #723 of 2,248
I ended up ordering a kershaw OD-2 from amazon for a total for $17. The blade has a nice shape and is under 2.5", it uses this boot-shaped flipper for quick opening without a spring, and it weighs almost nothing at 1.4 oz. Seemed like just what I wanted and good quality for the money, so I'll post later how it feels in person.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #724 of 2,248

Quote:
I got to get my gf one of those
biggrin.gif

Hahah trust me, get that thing in her hands and she'll do wonders in the kitchen :p

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #726 of 2,248
Bought this in '95/'96, and was really excited about taking it to the field. Its size and feel is better than all of the hunting knives I've owned. Alas, it got lost in the shuffle of moving from island to island, and the unused blade has yet to cut even a piece of thread.

Having forsaken hunting and sold my Marlin 336, and Sako 75 and 85, this will be listed on eBay shortly.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=42

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #727 of 2,248
anyone looking for a spyderco stretch 2 cf/zdp189?

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=278

i have NIB one i don't particularly want...email me: au5t3n5@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #731 of 2,248
Negakinu: that SanRenMu looks great! Forgive me, but I've never owned a folding blade like that before so I have to ask: how safe/easy is it to open and close the blade? I looked up some videos of the 710 and it seems to flick open alarmingly quickly.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #732 of 2,248

Quote:
Negakinu: that SanRenMu looks great! Forgive me, but I've never owned a folding blade like that before so I have to ask: how safe/easy is it to open and close the blade? I looked up some videos of the 710 and it seems to flick open alarmingly quickly.

It's not spring-assisted, if that's what you mean. All those people opening it very fast with the flick of their thumb are just showing off. :) It opens as fast as you want. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #734 of 2,248

Quote:
It's not spring-assisted, if that's what you mean. All those people opening it very fast with the flick of their thumb are just showing off. :) It opens as fast as you want. 

So it's just a thumb-stud and a pivot? That's all?
I'm asking because it's apparently illegal to have assisted opening blades in my country.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #735 of 2,248
I believe all ZT folders, except for the full automatic, use "SpeedSafe" technology which is a torsion spring assisted opening.  Flicking the thumb stud or blade guard past 30 degrees then employs the opening mechanism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back