Blackhawk CQD Mark I Limited Edition partially serrated edge auto: $389.99 USD
Blackhawk CQD Mark I replacement blade: $29.99 USD
Blackhawk CQD Mark II partially serrated edge auto: $299.99 USD
Blackhawk CQD injection molded Mark I sheath: $39.99 USD
Blackhawk diamond knife sharpener: $39.99 USD
Mission Knives & Tools Inc. MPK-Ti 12": $441.00 USD
NMS non-magnetic sharpener diamond: $35.00 USD
Emerson Commander BT: $228.95 USD

Then, pay for damn great training for life!

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #47 of 2,248
sigh.. my spyderco byrdrench broke few months ago and never got it fix yet.

I am looking for at Kasumi linear lock folder for now, will post picture when i got it

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #48 of 2,248
I put a bid on on this Scott Cook Lochsa:

Bench_01.jpg

Mitch

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #49 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DANG thats sexxy!

skeletool-cx-diagram.jpg

My Skeletool just shipped from Amazon yesterday. It's the standard steel one. Am I the only one who doesn't like the look of carbon fiber everything? I've used the smaller Leatherman Squirt for year or so and love everything about it, but I guess I had a case of upgraditus.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #50 of 2,248
I have a Gerber Combat Folder. It's a bit large, but certainly the most natural knife I've ever held.
It's not exactly the most versatile knife in the world, I end up cutting myself with it almost every time I attempt a difficult task. But I am confident that, in the case I need to defend myself, I have the perfect knife for the job.
Coincidentally, it is the BEST cooking knife I have ever used. For chopping or slicing, I never use any of my kitchen knives anymore, except my bread knife. I have a chef friend who keeps it sharp enough to shave with.
combat.jpg

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #51 of 2,248
CRKT M16-14SF
and a leatherman folding knife..

i need a decent edge sharpener.. any suggestions?

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #53 of 2,248
Let's see: every day carries, large Victorinox Cyber SAK and, at present, a CRKT My Tighe partially serrated, and the excellent ARC AAA deluxe. BTW, noticed years back that all my most used/useful lockbacks are between 3 1/2" and 3 5/8" blades.

Kitchen: Henckels Four and Five Star and Wustoff, started with Wustoff, but Henckels has a slight edge in steel IMHO. Santoku blade shape certainly is an improvement for chef's knives. The Henckel's Five Star handle pattern is about the most ergometric and hygenic I've found. Picked up a 7" Boker titanium Santoku on closeout last month that seems to hold its edge. I'm the cook, and with the Santoku pattern, my food processor is getting dusty.

Field: about a dozen Randall handmades, mostly carbon steel with stag handles, various Puma, Ek, SOG, old Cold Steel. Mostly carry the Randall Model 8 or Model 5 for the two months a year I spend in the woods. Haven't seen much practical use for a tanto point. Then add various Kershaw, Gerber, Spyderco. Old Puma European pattern bird and White Hunter blades seem to fit right into the traditional Northwoods.

Multitools: Buck and Kershaw get my vote as most useful. Only Leatherman I own is an old blackened stainless standard with a blasting cap groove in the plier jaws; sort of an Oklahoma City Commemorative.
eek.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #54 of 2,248
I'm having another "curse you, Head-Fi!" moment right now. This thread has been wearing away at me since I read it probably months ago, and I finally snapped! I have a fistful of super-cheap Chinese knockoffs and little Ultrafire folders, but nothing really high quality besides the Leatherman Charge Ti my boyfriend gave me for my birthday.

So, I decided that I really like the looks of the Spyderco folders, and went hunting for places that would ship to Canada for a reasonable price. Turns out there aren't very many, but I did a lot of looking on eBay and found a nice cheap Byrd Starling that should be good for EDC if I ever remember to take it with me.

I like knives with clips, though, because it's just so convenient to carry them in my back pocket, so I went searching for something a bit bigger, like a Byrd Robin... and then I found the pink Delica 4 and I couldn't help myself! It's bigger than I really want, and cost way more than I wanted to spend, but that pink FRN is just irresistible. So I have one of those on the way now too.
frown.gif

Of course, I'm still after that Robin... and maybe a Crossbill too. And I definitely need to get an Opinel or two. They're cheap, and they just look so classy. Could use a new Swiss Army Knife as well...

Damn you guys.
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #55 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn you guys.
tongue.gif

Embrace the Borg.
biggrin.gif
IMHO you will find that 2 9/16" is a useful blade length and that pink will be good for locating it quickly. All my river knives have some sort of day-glo color to them. Remember "Victorinox".
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #57 of 2,248
I just have three Leathermans: A Wave, A Juice Xe6, and a Fuse. I keep the Juice Xe6 as an EDC since it can do pretty much everything in a smaller package than Wave. The Wave I use for household chores and fixing the computer. The Fuse is in my sister's glove compartment box for when she needs it. I used to have a Charge Ti, but I lost it.

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #58 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Embrace the Borg.
biggrin.gif
IMHO you will find that 2 9/16" is a useful blade length and that pink will be good for locating it quickly. All my river knives have some sort of day-glo color to them. Remember "Victorinox".
wink.gif

Resistance is futile!
eek.gif

With the Delica, I'm mostly worried about the closed length being too big to carry comfortably. I have a similarly sized knife that's a real pain to sit down with when it's in my pocket. I wouldn't want to carry something like that around with me all day.

I'm also a little concerned about the blade being inappropriately large to whip out in public if I need it. But I really haven't been able to get a good concept of how large the whole thing is, so I'll just have to wait until I get it... and try hold off from buying anything else in the interim!

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #59 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Resistance is futile!
eek.gif

With the Delica, I'm mostly worried about the closed length being too big to carry comfortably. I have a similarly sized knife that's a real pain to sit down with when it's in my pocket. I wouldn't want to carry something like that around with me all day.

I'm also a little concerned about the blade being inappropriately large to whip out in public if I need it. But I really haven't been able to get a good concept of how large the whole thing is, so I'll just have to wait until I get it... and try hold off from buying anything else in the interim!

How do you carry your knife? I've never had a comfort issue with a knife clipped to my front pocket and positioned at the far edge of the pocket next to the outer seam. A seated position places it on the outside edge of my body, parallel with my thigh. This is comfortable even with largish knives like the Benchmade Rukus or Skirmish. Back pocket carry is a pain though.

As for inappropriate, your Delica's bright pink with an uncoated stainless blade. Blade shape is non-aggressive to boot. Just open it with both hands when around others, and it should be fine.

Feb 19, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #60 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you carry your knife? I've never had a comfort issue with a knife clipped to my front pocket and positioned at the far edge of the pocket next to the outer seam. A seated position places it on the outside edge of my body, parallel with my thigh. This is comfortable even with largish knives like the Benchmade Rukus or Skirmish. Back pocket carry is a pain though.

As for inappropriate, your Delica's bright pink with an uncoated stainless blade. Blade shape is non-aggressive to boot. Just open it with both hands when around others, and it should be fine.

Well, my front pockets are usually pretty occupied with my wallet, cellphone, keys, DAP... so when I've got a knife with me, it's always clipped to my back pocket. I never notice anything with my little Ultrafires, but my big imitation Benchmade Stryker is another story, and it's only a little larger than a Delica. Of course, I've got a lot of other good reasons not to carry that thing.
tongue.gif

I definitely agree with you about the handle colour and shape of the blade making the knife look pretty friendly despite its size. The more I think about it, the less worried I am about that, especially after looking through the EDC thread on the Spyderco forums. I think most Spyderco knives look pretty unthreatening, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back