Klipsch Reference S4 (NEW)
Oct 10, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 22
Hmmm.  They really need a "compare" guide for all of their S4 variations.

http://www.klipsch.com/headphones?&n=0&va=t

Personally, I found the original S4 to be bass-bloated and horribly sibilant.  Comfortable, but not much fun to listen to.

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 22
Would like to know how the difference between the original S4 and these..

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
s4 with better cables and maybe some slight re-tuning?

Doubt that. As far as I know, all the S4 / S5 / Pro-media all sound identical. Klipsch really knows how to reinvent their wheel. The spirit of the original X series is all but gone now.

Oct 11, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 22
why would they make new s4's these are like the most popular mainstream $50+ headphones, maybe they really mean business

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
Doubt that. As far as I know, all the S4 / S5 / Pro-media all sound identical. Klipsch really knows how to reinvent their wheel. The spirit of the original X series is all but gone now.

Speaking of which, I've just decided to trade off my X10s. Hopefully Klipsch will come out with a new flagship soon to compete with other top tiers.

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 22
The cables do look more sophisticated and 'pro' . I really hope they add more smoothness to the drivers or smth, far too much sibilance for me. Painful sometimes..

The MODE M40 noise cancelling headphones looks good and sleek, hopefully not another variation of the soul or the studios.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 22
So i was reading that old pdf of an "earphones buyer's guide" that was posted on the FP a while back, and the reviewer said the s4 have FORWARD MIDS. omgwtfbbq?

According to Chris Martens:

"tonal balance is reasonably neutral though it exhibits a touch of midrange forwardness"
"the bass it does deliver is presented with terrific clarity and definiton with absolutely no boominess of any kind"

Are we hearing the same earphone? Maybe it's a typo, and he meant to write mid-bass. The s4 have boomy bass with CLEARLY recessed mids... (on the bright side I do enjoy the sparkly highs)

and regarding the construction:

"cables and cable strain relief
fittings that, according to Klipsch, have been
rigorously tested for resistance to common
household “chemical, cosmetic and cleanser
agents.” Moreover, the cables have also
been subjected to extensive “tensile strength
and flex cycling tests and are then tested for
strength and flexibility at every connection
point, including the plug, yoke and earphone
body.”
SONIC"

Yeah, mine started ripping apart at the strain reliefs after 1 month of normal use...

Still, they're not THAT bad for the $40 I paid from an authorized dealer.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
Speaking of which, I've just decided to trade off my X10s. Hopefully Klipsch will come out with a new flagship soon to compete with other top tiers.

I sure hope so. Klipsch doesn't really make much of worthy since the original X and Custom series and that was quite a long time ago in the IEM world. Make me wonder if they are still interested in the IEM market or not under the new management.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #13 of 22
Oct 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 22
Well it double if you get from Amazon, but many major retailers are selling the S4 anywhere form 60-70 usd with the Pro Media being had for as low as $35 or so, and the S5(rugged S4) for as low as $100 in store. I sort of want to know how to get those cables on my X5, as they look like better quality(and possible offer less microphonics). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back