Klipsch r-15pm vs Audioengine a5+
Dec 16, 2016 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Swolern

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone know how these compare in sound quality? They are both powered and about the same price, but the Klipsch has more options with built-in DAC & bluetooth. But if the SQ is much better on the Audioengine I might just go that route. Thanks.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 6
Your better off buy the Monoprice 5" studio monitors, normally $170, on sale for $129.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500
Spend somewhere between $42-$100 for a DAC.

We can assume this audio setup is for a computer?

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Your better off buy the Monoprice 5" studio monitors, normally $170, on sale for $129.

Wow that's a great price. Are they on par with the Klipsch/Audioengine sound quality? Yes these will be primarily for PC/laptop, but will serve as part time speakers for the guest room TV. I do have a Schiit Fulla 2 which I could use the DAC. The Bluetooth would be a little more convenient, but not a necessity. And if SQ is comparable that Monoprice sounds great.

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 6
Wow that's a great price. Are they on par with the Klipsch/Audioengine sound quality? Yes these will be primarily for PC/laptop, but will serve as part time speakers for the guest room TV. I do have a Schiit Fulla 2 which I could use the DAC. The Bluetooth would be a little more convenient, but not a necessity. And if SQ is comparable that Monoprice sounds great.

The Monoprice 5" studio monitors are basically relabeled M-Audio BX5, which sell for around $250.
The Audioengine A5+ is loaded with extra features that you may not need.
Each A5+ unit is powered by one amplifier, each Monoprice 5" unit is powered by 2 amplifiers.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 6

I actually just had this dilemma and I went for the Klipsch, especially with a sale price of $300 and some coupons ($10 + 5% back + 1.2% Back).
I also got the K100-SW on sale for $150 + ~6.2% back.

The thing is the Klipsch have the subwoofer out, and a remote to control them and they support AUX & Phono In aswell as the USB + Optical.
If I got a DAC for those for $129, I still cannot get a remote or a sub. So even if the price is lower the overall setup isn't.

The number of inputs will allow me to use these speakers as an output from my Sony TV + from my PC & from my phone via BT (if I actually want to use that).

May 2, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 6
I owned both the Audioengine A5+ and Klipsch R-15PM at the same time and was able to do some direct comparisons between the two. As far as sound quality, there is not enough difference between the two to justify one over the other. Instead you should make your decision on based on the sound signature and the features. The A5+ is a laid back and bassy speaker. I found it kind of dull and boring to be honest. But it had a nice refined sound and rich midrange. The R-15PM is the exact opposite. It's a very lively and dynamic speaker. It's bright and detailed. It's got a fun sound, but can get a little tiring.

As for features, the R-15PM wins hands down. And that is the real reason why I ended up keeping them over the A5+. The three features that really won me over will probably seem silly to some people, but convenience is kind of the point of power speakers. 1) automatic on/off: the A5+ has a sleep mode, but it's not automatic. The R-15PM will automatically enter sleep mode when no signal is detected and turn back on when a signal is present. And unlike a lot of automatic sleep modes this one works really well, I've never had an issue with it. 2) It works with the universal remote: it took a little trial and error but I managed to program the R-15PM to work with the cable box remote. That along with the auto wake feature makes it near fool proof setup for the TV. Perfect for the family TV where I don't want to constantly have to explain how to get the sound to work. 3) you turn off the bright LED on the front: I hated the bright white LED on the front of the Audioengines. They're such beautiful speakers, but in a dark room that LED on the front gets real annoying. Thankfully the R-15PM will let you turn off the colored LED on the front. Am I nitpicking? Absolutely. But why not, that's what comparisons are about.

Needless to say, the R-15PM suited my needs better so I kept them and sold the A5+. In a different setup I might have kept the A5+ though. For example, one annoying thing about the R-15PM is the tweeting emits a hiss which might not make them the best choice for nearfield listening. I would suggesting checking out other speakers beyond just these two though. The JBL LSR305 is hard to beat in this price range from what I hear (although it lacks a lot of the consumer friendly features these two have). The Kanto YUMI is basically a A5+ clone with all the feature of the R-15PM for about half the price (I haven't heard it yet though so I can't promise it will sound as good). Also if you can wait a few weeks Vanatoo has a pre-order for their new speakers the Transparent Zero. Their first speaker got rave reviews and this one looks way more desktop friendly and at a lower price. The Edifer R2000DB and R1700BT are another strong contender on both price and feature, but reviews are limited. The previously mentioned Monoprice speakers and well regarded for entry level monitors. Airmotiv is another highly thought of studio monitor as well.

There are a lot of options out there. If sound quality is your top concern probably neither of the ones you list are the best bang for your buck. But feature-wise, the R-15PM is hard to beat. And the A5+ in bamboo is still one nice looking speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back