Klipsch Image X10 vs. Sony XBA-2
Nov 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Sprkd1

Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Posts
76
Likes
10
Looking at the prices on Amazon, the two are close (price wise) with the XBA-2 being more expensive. How do the two earphones compare? Any feedback will be appreciated. They will be connected to an iPod touch.
 
By the way, what if I added the XBA-3 into the mix?
 
Nov 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 20

ZARIM

IP address matches SNOOP_DOGG and HFAUDIOPHILE.
Joined
Dec 24, 2006
Posts
4,463
Likes
66
The X10i are better sounding than XBA3 because deeper punchier bass, crisp, clear more detailed mids, highs and fairly wide soundstage ( better instruments separation, imaging on X10). So i will recommend the X10 and they are small in size but bassy and crisp clear sounding.
 
Nov 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 20

macbug

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Posts
254
Likes
20
I find it questionable that the X10 can claim to have more detailed mids and highs versus a 3 BA headphone, but I have not heard the XBA3.  I did own a X10, and while it was supremely comfortable and the bass was very good it was done at the expense of the highs.  I would not recommend it though purely based on the questionable build quality as many people experienced strain relief splits after a few months.  If you can find the XBA3 at sale price (around 130) I would give that a shot.
 
Nov 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 20

Sprkd1

Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Posts
76
Likes
10
Quote:
I find it questionable that the X10 can claim to have more detailed mids and highs versus a 3 BA headphone, but I have not heard the XBA3.  I did own a X10, and while it was supremely comfortable and the bass was very good it was done at the expense of the highs.  I would not recommend it though purely based on the questionable build quality as many people experienced strain relief splits after a few months.  If you can find the XBA3 at sale price (around 130) I would give that a shot.

 
Thanks. I too have heard about some of the quality issues with the Image X10. If I do get the XBA-3, will I need an amp to get the most out of them or to make to operate to their potential when connected to a 5th generation iPod touch?
 
Nov 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 20
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Posts
7,049
Likes
1,164
Quote:
 
Okay, thanks anyway.
 
One question though. If I use the XBA-3 with the latest (5th generation) iPod touch, will I need an amp to get the most out of them or will the iPod touch be good enough to drive them to their potential?

 
They'll sound great straight from your ipod. I used them with my iphone 4 without issue
 
Nov 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 20

Sprkd1

Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Posts
76
Likes
10
Quote:
 
They'll sound great straight from your ipod. I used them with my iphone 4 without issue

 
Thanks! I was hoping that would be the case.
 
By the way, are the XBA-4s worth the extra over the XBA-3s? One reviewer on Amazon stated that the XBA-3s have better bass than the XBA-4s. Any info on this?
 
Nov 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 20

ZARIM

IP address matches SNOOP_DOGG and HFAUDIOPHILE.
Joined
Dec 24, 2006
Posts
4,463
Likes
66
I have both X10i, XBA3 and to me X10i are more detailed and bass is amazing on these little IEM's, they are warm (Klipsch signature sound) and mids highs are crisp clear. The Sony XBA3 are crisp clear( not warm) and after long listening session they sound little muddy compare to X10(still crisp clear after hours of listening).
 
Nov 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 20
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Posts
7,049
Likes
1,164
Quote:
I have both X10i, XBA3 and to me X10i are more detailed and bass is amazing on these little IEM's, they are warm (Klipsch signature sound) and mids highs are crisp clear. The Sony XBA3 are crisp clear( not warm) and after long listening session they sound little muddy compare to X10(still crisp clear after hours of listening).

 
Yeah, ok.
 
Nov 17, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 20

Sprkd1

Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Posts
76
Likes
10
Just ordered the 5th generation/latest iPod touch 32GB in black and the Sony XBA-3 earphones from Amazon. Hopefully I made the right choice.
 
Are the XBA-3s really much brighter than the Image X10s?
 
Nov 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #15 of 20
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Posts
7,049
Likes
1,164
Quote:
Just ordered the 5th generation/latest iPod touch 32GB in black and the Sony XBA-3 earphones from Amazon. Hopefully I made the right choice.
 
Are the XBA-3s really much brighter than the Image X10s?

 
You made a good choice. The XBA-3 is a great iem, and an excellent value.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top