Klipsch Image S4?
Feb 16, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #496 of 629
The S4 are definitely my most disappointing headphone expenditure so far. It's partly my fault for allowing the FOTM to affect me

So far I agree with more complaints than compliments. These phones do sound pretty decent if you listen completely casually. However, their flaws came out even during background listening while reading.

Day One Preview:
Pros-
Good casual headphone
Comfortable for first 45 minutes
Attractive
Small/Lightweight
2 year warranty

Cons-
Boomy bass. I checked to make sure my EQ wasn't set for bass boost instead of flat. This is $40 Pyramid 500watt subwoofer-in-a-tube bass. Even with small double flange tips
Perceived durability. Appearance is great, but I prefer my $70 headphones to have wire with a little better gauge than stock, or at least joints that feel solid
Comfort. My ears are uncomfortable from wearing then, even a couple hours later. I tried over the ear and 'regular'. This seems to be from the housing/location and not the tips. May improve in the future
Microphonics are a little too present

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #497 of 629
Does anyone else notice pretty drastic differences between the single Klipsch ovals and the bi flanges?

The regular oval fits great in my ear, extremely comfortable, but just sounds so bloated to me... The small bi flange sounds very clear without overpowering bass, but is a bit small for me.. I just received the larger bi flanges, and I suppose they are sort of in between as expected, but I don't find them to be that comfortable, mainly because they are just too long and pointy... Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love the sound of the smaller bi flange but with a better fit somehow. Maybe Ety bi flanges, but wouldn't know how to get them...

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #498 of 629
I've noticed a lot of posts arguing about burn-in for the S4's and using it to control the sound...
I use two different terms to stay clear
1) Burn-in. In my mind, to the extent this is real, it is a psychological adaption to the new sound signature. Not sure how well that works with people who have a stock of headphones and speakers. I equate it with PERCEPTION
2) Break-in. The MECHANICAL process of breaking in the drivers to a more stable sound state

Anyway, since I've been unimpressed, I've been breaking-in my S4's. A combination of music on my iPod (500 random songs from my library), Last.FM, Pandora One, and white noise. I think break-in has been beneficial for headphones/speakers in the past; most likely the first twenty hours is the most helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lc483 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else notice pretty drastic differences between the single Klipsch ovals and the bi flanges?

The regular oval fits great in my ear, extremely comfortable, but just sounds so bloated to me... The small bi flange sounds very clear without overpowering bass, but is a bit small for me.. I just received the larger bi flanges, and I suppose they are sort of in between as expected, but I don't find them to be that comfortable, mainly because they are just too long and pointy... Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love the sound of the smaller bi flange but with a better fit somehow. Maybe Ety bi flanges, but wouldn't know how to get them...

I've read what you said about the difference in sound between tips elsewhere on the forum. I have small ears (as found out by using other IEMs). I read a recommendation of Comply tips, but have no experience: Comply™ Foam Replacement Tips/Earbuds for Klipsch Image S4/S4i

That basic model costs $15, but is it worth adding another loss if more tips don't work out?

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #499 of 629
Ok, so I'm new to the forums and I have a couple of questions for the gurus. So far, I am very happy with my s4is. I'm using them on the iPhone 3GS, and the remote is a must have. I do notice that the bass is a bit muddy, or even blurry. It seems as though the vocals and upper range is somewhat hidden. I was wondering what EQ setting on the iPhone is recommended to make them sound more balanced? I'm at the 40 hr burn-in mark. No significant change that I can tell, although I'm still cookin'.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #500 of 629
Though I gave my S4s to a good friend, I did like them. Keep burning them in past 100 hours. I didn't use EQ with them. I am one of those fools who believe the S4s are a very good IEM for the price, but require a lot of "break in" or whatever you want to call it.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #501 of 629
Quote:

I used an old pair of gray Ety biflanges with the S4s and loved them. You can get them from Ety's website here. I recommend them, as I felt they reduced any sibilance that remained after burn in and were comfy too. I didn't care at all for the Klipsch biflanges.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #502 of 629
I plan on breaking them in past the 100+ mark, but does the overall balance improve? It almost sounds like the S4is have the iPhone bass booster EQ on normally. Now don't get me wrong, I totally love that these IEMs are capable of providing a trance thump straight through my frontal cortex, but the higher ranges are too...shall we say distant?

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #504 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used an old pair of gray Ety biflanges with the S4s and loved them. You can get them from Ety's website here. I recommend them, as I felt they reduced any sibilance that remained after burn in and were comfy too. I didn't care at all for the Klipsch biflanges.

Thanks for the link, not sure how I missed that! Do you know how the small/large Ety bi flanges compare in size to the small/large Klipsch bi flanges?

atsmile.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #505 of 629
Quote:

Try acoustic EQ.

X2 My iPhone sounds quite dark with my S4's. The acoustic setting brightens the presentation dramatically and brings out a lot of detail. I have none of those issues with my Zune, however.

If you have the opportunity to amp the S4s with the iPod or iPhone, my advice is to do it. My cMoyBB 2.02 and my S4s love each other! There is great synergy there, regardless of the source.

Oh yeah, anybody posting about "buyers remorse" because of supposed FOTM hype on the S4 isn't really valid in 02/10. The phones have been out since last summer and some of us have had them since the first shipment in 07/09. Any supposed FOTM on these ended probably about 4 or 5 months ago...

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #506 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by 000dom000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just saw the Klipsch Image S4 on Amazon for £59. Is that a good deal? It's the best I've been able to find. I tend to listen to a bit of everything, some rock, drum n bass and a bit of jazz. I had the cx300 II before but the bass was a little too heavy.

I have also considered the Senn CX 550 II and the SoundMAGIC PL-50.

Either way would you recommend the Klipsch Image S4 at that price?

They are really good pair of headphones!! especially for 60$ I dont have them but I've heard them in an apple store

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #507 of 629
Quote:

Thanks for the link, not sure how I missed that! Do you know how the small/large Ety bi flanges compare in size to the small/large Klipsch bi flanges?

atsmile.gif

Can't help you there. I think I had the smaller ones, but again, I can't help you on that front. I wish I could, of course. Maybe you can make a guesstimate, and if they are the wrong size, ask Ety to exchange them. Call and see what you can do, because the people in Ety customer service, based on my experience, are very, very nice.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #508 of 629
Quote:

Can't help you there. I think I had the smaller ones, but again, I can't help you on that front. I wish I could, of course. Maybe you can make a guesstimate, and if they are the wrong size, ask Ety to exchange them. Call and see what you can do, because the people in Ety customer service, based on my experience, are very, very nice.

Still banned?!? Selling blood diamonds again? LOL!

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #509 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, anybody posting about "buyers remorse" because of supposed FOTM hype on the S4 isn't really valid in 02/10. The phones have been out since last summer and some of us have had them since the first shipment in 07/09. Any supposed FOTM on these ended probably about 4 or 5 months ago...

I should point out that I use FOTM not literally, but as a term that reflects a general, often temporary trend towards exaggerating the positive properties of a headphone, your honor....

To my ears, the S4 emphasizes its poor quality bass, beyond just being bass-heavy. I think its relatively recent entry to the market explains some of its hype.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #510 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmac3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on breaking them in past the 100+ mark, but does the overall balance improve? It almost sounds like the S4is have the iPhone bass booster EQ on normally. Now don't get me wrong, I totally love that these IEMs are capable of providing a trance thump straight through my frontal cortex, but the higher ranges are too...shall we say distant?

I have yet to notice a significant increase in sound quality.

I should have noted earlier, that for me, these headphones offer a good fit and are very comfortable. That is a definite positive for them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back