Klipsch image s4 vs. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10
Jul 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:
Ok! Any comparison between the X10s and the EPH-100??

Also, would the Fiio 6 amplifier do the EPH-100 any favor?

X10 and EPH-100 were very similar sounding to my ears in some respects. They both held great clarity in their mid range but again EPH-100 do something with their mids I haven't been able to find in any other IEM. The liquid vocals just cannot compare. X10 soundstage has more height with decent width, they also come across more airy, you really get that wow factor on first listen. They excel in techno and electronic music.

Probably some of the best timbre I have heard was on X10 but they let me down lacking in dynamics and impact, they were very soft in their presentation, maybe too polite  Bass on EPH by far has more impact especially in the lower mid bass regions also going much deeper remembering X10 is limited by armature in this region. Still, X10 bass was mighty impressive, something that wow'd be from such a tiny, tiny driver. The highs I have mentioned before were so alike it was almost scary. I couldn't pick a difference between them. I ended up having to decide on keeping one or the other and X10 got the boot mostly because of that EPH-100 mid range!

I wouldn't bother with an amp for EPH-100 they really don't need one, we've gone into discussion about this in the main thread, some like it, other don't. I believe in amping IEM's I use one all day with my GRO7, but EPH-100 I never felt benefit from it to my ears. I felt amping them exaggerates their treble to much.  

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #18 of 21
The X10 with some extra impedance and a good chain is greatly improved in my book. Much more weight and clarity to the sound. There are still weakness in bass and treble extension due to the single BA having difficulty covering the full frequency range, but the treble and bass boost on my XM6 help alleviate that issue. I would put a well driven X10 on equal footing with the TF10 and IE80. 

I used to think people were crazy when they mentioned the drastic improvement in going from the ER4P on a portable to the ER4S on a home setup, but I can now see where they're coming from. I need to buy some other single BA iems and see if they all improve this much. I'm wondering if that extends to microdrivers like the EPH-100 and Miles Davis Trumpet. 

Note that the extra impedance trick does not work for most multi BA iems with crossovers. They just get extremely muddy and are basically unlistenable.

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:
Out of curiosity, does the burn-in process help the EPH-100??

Also, EPH-100 for $150 and Klipsch X10 for $160, which is a better value?

I believe you'll be getting better value with EPH-100 build and sound quality wise. Klipsch X10 is known for it's strain relief spliting problems and the cable is very thin compared to the Yamaha.

Burn in is something that is debatable, best to try it yourself. From my exeperince with Yamaha the bass settles into the signature with around 80 - 100 hours, it seems very prominent on first listen then appears to calm itself. They possibly became slightly smoother too.

To burn in, simply run them a little over half volume while you sleep or at work etc etc. For x amount of hours.   

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:
hey guys! thank you for ur replies. I was wondering how could thesethe Yamaha EPH-100 compete with the TF-10s since the latter ones have three armature drivers while the the Yamaha EPH-100 have only one driver? I actually had a look on them now, and they looked soooo attractive. But what concerns me the most is the sound, especially the WOW-factor in those boys..

I would can suggest that you not get hung up on specs, and number of drivers, and frequency response and all that, but like most of us, you're probably going to do it anyway. Ultimately, it all comes down to what gives you the most listening enjoyment. I used to get hung up equipment that was accurate, detailed, bla bla bla. Then I started going by what I enjoyed the most. Turns out I *do* like gear that "colors" the sound a bit, is more mid-forward, etc. Do the specs on my Klipsch X10's (single driver by the way) beat the specs on my Westone 4R's? Nope. But I personally like listening to the X10's more. Way more. That is not a knock on Westone. The 4R's are among the best of the best. But if it doesn't float my boat, then all the best specs in the world are meaningless. Try as much gear as you can and let your ears decide. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back