Klipsch HP-3
Apr 16, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #466 of 621
May I ask which DAC+amp you using the HP-3 with? From my experience the HP-3 really shines in sub-bass region, when powered very well (can take up to 1800mW according to specs). As anonymous basshead™ I also do have the EM-U Teak, V-Moda Crossfade M-100 and Campfire Cascade, but when powered by class A headphone amplifier, the HP-3 rivals the Cascade in sub-bass grunt (for example on my V281 class AB this is not the case, even he has 2800mw at 32Ω).
But as you said the HP-3 as an overall package (build, look, sound, packaging) is great!
Yes, I was surprised how it responded through different amps. I do not really like the HP-3 through my RME-ADI2...too bright, I really have to EQ the top end. But out of my Bryston BDA2 DAC and either the HeadRoom Max or Beyerdynamic A2 amp it behaves more to my liking.

May 9, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #467 of 621
I just received a second-hand 32" 4k monitor for my desktop and now I am realizing why the Klipsch Heritage HP-3 has tiny vent slits all around the drivers, which is to create a spacious, yet very detailed sound that is modular with whatever source you intended to use with it. Using this monitor was starting to be fatiguing, but the HP-3 has really made its use much smoother and satisfying.

Seriously: it took forever to not just hear the HP-3 for what it really is, but a sub-bass that matched what I heard from my old Sennheiser HD250 Linear II metal rings set. It's like an auditory version to how mushroom hunters go through a forest and find what they are searching, but with (much?) less effort. Even subdued minimalist EDM has all of these different layers intermingling together, which seemed tough for me to see in the past. It's too bad these are discontinued, but I would imagine that Klipsch would have an even tougher time trying to build a successor for the HP-3.

May 19, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #468 of 621
Welp...after my first audition with them hooked up to a FiiO e12 (Seven years ago!) at a Magnolia store nestled next to a Pacific Home and Kitchen and under the still-standing Best Buy roof (saw this coming while staring at near-barren shelves at Fry's a couple of years back), it took another acquisition by disaster-track-proven Sonova to make me jump off of the fence and buy a used Sennheiser HD700. Why am I mentioning the HD700 in a Klipsch Heritage HP-3 thread? Well, with the HP-3 driving the complimentary way with its warm-tube-like-wood sound with open-back airiness showing its auditory superiority, the HD700 makes a wonderful passenger-side complimentary sound with similar-but-overall-analytical signature. Sure, I had to re-glue the cheap velour ear pads by the seam after washing them and took several days layering clear adhesive around the loose gimbal clip to hold down what the missing retention-spring-clip had in-place, but the work has shown its rewards in spades.

Yes, both are discontinued by their respective companies, but the comparison between these two models show that there was a lot of thought put into the HD700 that did bring it a decent amount of success, but the focus on the HD800 made the HD700 a back-burner for those wanting an overall-superior sound signature. Yes, the HD660S is supposed to be the production successor to the HD700 with their matching drivers, but even those still new to personal audio prefer the much-older HD600. In a same vein, once the Fostex TH-909 started becoming the preferred sound signature over the HP-3, it was a matter of time before Klipsch started to see how much production costs were cutting into their profit margin and would have to make the tough decision to discontinue the HP-3. That is where the similarities really dwindle down and their differences really take hold to their respective products.

Yeah, this continuous global pandemic is making itself a determining factor in these business matters...but we as consumers are still here and alive to buy whatever we want at its nearest availability. However, our world is not the same as it was at the start of 2020 A.D. and as changes are made, people change for better or worse. Thankfully, my HP-3 and recently-acquired HD700 are here to compliment each other and add a much more stable perspective to what I do on a daily basis. Of course, their complimentary sound signatures are far from the end-all-be-all solution that many of us seek, but the HP-3 started as its own healer of what made me frustrated over what was recurring for me in personal audio and made me buy-sell-trade stuff, but also has guided me in purchasing a complimentary product in the HD700 and helping me realize my own talents and solution-building to fix shortcomings and make a dynamic personal audio duo. With that said, I am going back to playing more tracks. :)

May 25, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #470 of 621
Reading this thread has confirmed I need a pair of these in my future. Hopefully I can find a pair at a reasonable price.
These pairs are the most sexy looking. Yeah blow me, it sounds like I'm talking about nice pair of melons lol

Just searching to the HP-3 just for prices and availability and it seems none of the stores in the Netherlands are selling them anymore, all out of stock and some webstores are pretty unknown so I wouldn't order from them. Damn lucky I bought one from EU Ebay to spare me import fees and shipping. On top of that, I ordered 3 pairs of Ebony earpads for my Walnut HP-3. I'll make photos once I got my new desk.

The HP-3's on Ebay are all above €1500.

May 25, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #471 of 621
These pairs are the most sexy looking. Yeah blow me, it sounds like I'm talking about nice pair of melons lol

Just searching to the HP-3 just for prices and availability and it seems none of the stores in the Netherlands are selling them anymore, all out of stock and some webstores are pretty unknown so I wouldn't order from them. Damn lucky I bought one from EU Ebay to spare me import fees and shipping. On top of that, I ordered 3 pairs of Ebony earpads for my Walnut HP-3. I'll make photos once I got my new desk.

Why 3 pairs of Ebony earpads ? Where did you find them? I have the Ebony HP3 but cannot find the spare earpads!!!

May 25, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #472 of 621

I bought 2 backup pairs myself from Klipsch last summer, a walnut and an ebony for my walnut HP-3's. Kind of like the ebony on walnut look.

Attachments

• IMG_2749.JPG
    IMG_2749.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2752.JPG
    IMG_2752.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
May 26, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #473 of 621
Why 3 pairs of Ebony earpads ? Where did you find them? I have the Ebony HP3 but cannot find the spare earpads!!!
At first I contacted Klipsch from their official store and unfortunately they can't or don't want to help me getting the spare parts. It was way back in December last year and they also took long to reply. But their authorized distributors on their website helped me a bit to contact them in the Netherlands. It took a while but after like 2 or 3 months I finally got them. Why I got 3 pairs?
1) as spare parts in case the others will starting worning out
2) to play with disks with magnets so I can try other earpads with ease :p
3) too sexy to handle

I bought 2 backup pairs myself from Klipsch last summer, a walnut and an ebony for my walnut HP-3's. Kind of like the ebony on walnut look.
Walnut with ebony are way too gorgeous! :3

Speaking of walnut, my desk I'm waiting for to be delivered is walnut too.

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #475 of 621
IMG_8850 (2).jpeg

Throwing in a little HP-3 love. Have had the Fostex TH900 MK1 (Lawton Level 1 modded) and E-MU Teak, and these are probably my favourite.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #476 of 621
Just to add my sonic impressions: the HP-3, to my ears, are akin to an open, more natural and palatably tuned TH900, whilst sharing the same distinctive biocellulose tonality. You trade the hyper-intense tuning and sledgehammer bass impact of the TH900 for a far more versatile and musical headphone. I'm running them out of my iFi ZEN stack, and hear zero bloat, bass bleed, or exaggerated warmth; quite the opposite, in fact. Just clean and precise with a lovely organic timbre.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #477 of 621
IMG_8850 (2).jpeg

Throwing in a little HP-3 love. Have had the Fostex TH900 MK1 (Lawton Level 1 modded) and E-MU Teak, and these are probably my favourite.

Fostex TH900 are my all time fav for rock music etc., so would you say that those HP-3 cans you have are better for such repertoire?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #478 of 621
So I have always wondered why the HP-3 feels a little like the bass is bleeding into the mids when I first put them on (I get used to it after about 15-30 minutes) when they don't have as much mid bass as some other headphones I like. Since I have recently made a homemade "measurement" rig and had some success in "fixing" my Advanced Alphas with some EQ based on the measurements I took, I decided to investigate the HP-3 further. Just to be clear, I'm not going to post graphs since I don't want my very un-standard rig to be taken out of context.

So after comparing the HP-3 to some of my other headphones, it seems that the Klipsch has a small but sharp dip at 2.8k (spanning from 2.3k to 3k), right after which there is a peak at ~3.5k. Dip-to-peak this is about an 8db spread and about 4db down from where the dip starts at 2.3k. So I applied a small 4db EQ bump to this 2.8k area, and although more critical listening is needed, it has seemed to remove this "boomy" or "hollow" effect that I was experiencing upon first putting them on.

This was very counterintuitive to me since 3k-ish isn't anywhere near the bass region. But based on the fact that my Advanced Alphas have a huge 10db peak at 3k that I couldn't stand and that the Nighthawk (which I also struggle to listen to) has a significant dip at 3k, I think it's safe to say I have a sensitivity to sharp peaks/dips in that frequency range. And based on what I've read of reviews of the HP-3 and Nighthawk, not everyone is bothered in that area. I guess it's just like how some are really bothered and fatigued by 8k-10k peaks and those have never bothered me. Everyone's ears really are different!

Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting find and I hope it gives those that use EQ a data point to play around with. Take care and happy listening, everyone! :o2smile:

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #479 of 621
So I have always wondered why the HP-3 feels a little like the bass is bleeding into the mids when I first put them on (I get used to it after about 15-30 minutes) when they don't have as much mid bass as some other headphones I like. Since I have recently made a homemade "measurement" rig and had some success in "fixing" my Advanced Alphas with some EQ based on the measurements I took, I decided to investigate the HP-3 further. Just to be clear, I'm not going to post graphs since I don't want my very un-standard rig to be taken out of context.

So after comparing the HP-3 to some of my other headphones, it seems that the Klipsch has a small but sharp dip at 2.8k (spanning from 2.3k to 3k), right after which there is a peak at ~3.5k. Dip-to-peak this is about an 8db spread and about 4db down from where the dip starts at 2.3k. So I applied a small 4db EQ bump to this 2.8k area, and although more critical listening is needed, it has seemed to remove this "boomy" or "hollow" effect that I was experiencing upon first putting them on.

This was very counterintuitive to me since 3k-ish isn't anywhere near the bass region. But based on the fact that my Advanced Alphas have a huge 10db peak at 3k that I couldn't stand and that the Nighthawk (which I also struggle to listen to) has a significant dip at 3k, I think it's safe to say I have a sensitivity to sharp peaks/dips in that frequency range. And based on what I've read of reviews of the HP-3 and Nighthawk, not everyone is bothered in that area. I guess it's just like how some are really bothered and fatigued by 8k-10k peaks and those have never bothered me. Everyone's ears really are different!

Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting find and I hope it gives those that use EQ a data point to play around with. Take care and happy listening, everyone! :o2smile:
By applying 4dB at 2.4kHz on my Plenue 2 mkii, the vocal becomes more open and forward. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back