Klipsch HP-3
Mar 23, 2019 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 621

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Own them as of today.
Have spent a few hours with them.

Overall Tonality : HD650 world meets Planar-land, carefully intersected with a healthy dose of very sweet musicality.
Verdict : warm, sweet, nicely detailed sound, that suggests an overall sonic signature that flexes more in the direction of "sounding musical" then outright "reference sound" sterility.
The bass is handsome and plentiful. Mids are neutral + warm, and the treble is uniquely detailed in that it is quite revealing, yet also sounds polished and lightly smoothed.
If there is such a thing as the perfectly mild "V" shape, then this set of headphones has a touch of this within its sound.

The designers of the HP-3's abundant bass response deftly created it to perform in such a way that the low mids impart a sense of warmth that binds itself to the mids and upper frequencies. Because of this, what would have been a more surgical type of sound presentation becomes a musical presentation.
I was expecting more of a dynamic sound, but actually this beauty struts slightly more on the Planar side of the street, sonically.

Who will love it? Listeners who want to wear headphones all day without fatigue and just lay around in the sweet sound and enjoy a bass response that is confident.
Who will not love it? Anyone who needs their headphones to be "all about the Treble".

Comfort is 8.4
Cables are the color of a peppermint stick and very flexible, and you have a choice of the long one and the 3m.
Headphones are pretty, build quality is very good, and the price for these is now less then $900USD, which makes their cost equal in value regarding the sound they offer.
-
-
-
Z HP-3.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 621
Such a gorgeous headphone. What are you driving them with electronics wise?

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 621
Such a gorgeous headphone. What are you driving them with electronics wise?

It also comes in the black version for people that prefer......

Im driving it with. :

Grace M900

Apogee One

Oppo BDP-SE-83

Headroom Max

Rupert Neve RNHP

This is a headphone that loves SS, as tube warmth creates its sound to be too relaxed.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 621
Hi @FullBright1,

Hope this finds you well...

That's great you now own the HP 3 & are enjoying them a lot...

I really like this headphone, how it sounds, especially in the Ebony finish & what you say about the sound is accurate as usual as those are my thoughts are as well.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find these for less than $ 900 USD as where I am, they are still regular MSRP x the exchange rate average of 1.2 though this isn't surprising, just very sad... :p

Keep up the excellent insights !

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 621
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Klipsch headphones . After some time passes, would love to hear your
comparison between
the Klipsch HP-3 and the Quad ERA-1 ! Even though one is a planer and the other a dynamic driver, as you mentioned previously.

I was expecting more of a dynamic sound, but actually this beauty struts slightly more on the Planar side of the street, sonically.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 621
How good a value is the amp that Klipsch sells for this?

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 621
Hi @CoryGillmore,

Honestly, subjectively & personally, much better sound wise than the Burson Fun listed on your profile though this is not a bad thing, just different.
Can't comment on the RSA as I have never heard any of his amps which is a shame. :frowning2:

Anyway, good value depends on you, is the average MSRP $ 499 USD good value to you ?
I can't say but it is certainly decent enough, as well as 'tuned' to be paired with HP 3 so a demo is certainly recommended for you to make the final decision.
Certainly where sound quality will all depend as no one has your hearing, head shape, etc...
For the same price, I would suggest the RNHP like @FullBright1 uses, I can speak highly for this head amp as I own it too.
The synergy the RNHP offers with nearly all head gear is exceptional.

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 621
I agree with everything @FullBright1 says. This is my second go around with the HP-3’s. The first time around I had the same oak color. I regretted selling these so this time I got the ebony. These are wonderful, full sounding headphones. They are just every so slightly v-shaped. Bass lover's will enjoy these. There's plenty on low end that integrates nicely with the rest of frequency spectrum. It's extended with depth. The mids do take a slight step back unlike something like a HD650 were the mids dominate the sound. The treble has excellent clarity.

These are one of the most musically enjoyable headphones out at the moment. The have a warmth to their sound that just works for a lot of different genres. The others in my opinion that fall into this musically, warm sound are the ZMF Auteurs, Acoustic Research AR-H1's, Hifiman HE-500's and a well driven HD650, which can still play with the big boys. Right now I'm listening to these through the Burson Fun with SparkoS SS3601 op-amps, Shiit Loki Mini, and the Burson Conductor Air as my DAC. In case anyone one is wondering, they do scale very well with the Hugo 2 and iFi Pro iCan. But this level of gear is not needed to make these headphones sound good. They are very easy to drive.

IMG_1111.jpg IMG_1109.jpg

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 621
Hi @FullBright1,

Just out of curiosity, where did you find these for less than $ 900 USD as where I am, they are still regular MSRP x the exchange rate average of 1.2 though this isn't surprising, just very sad... :p

!

Sometimes i shop on Ebay, as often a dealer will offer lower prices there, (on sale) (New, with full warranty).
I just looked and the dealer that is selling them is doing it for $959.99 USD.
If he puts them on sale they'll be less then $900USD.
I wish i could list an online dealer who is doing them for less then even $959.....however, can't do it for you today.
-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-...461383?hash=item3b2bb6a847:g:shsAAOSwhE5ccLkK

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #12 of 621
thank you for this review. the sound signature seems like something id be interested in

Happy to oblige.
I will state again, more emphatically, vs, my usual (Review) hints and humor that invite you to also read between the lines, that..... this headphone is working in 2 capacities regarding its overall sound.
For example, if you listen to folk, or acoustic, or violin-piano sonata, or, vocal choir, then you will hear the HP-3's produce a lovely sweet dynamic sound that is full of resolution, treble response, and detail, as in this case, its all about the mids and high end.
But, if you listen to ANY music that has an electric or prominent upright bass guitar, or low freq drums (House, Dub), then the bass response and mid bass, gets real, and it does quite impact the sound of these headphones in a more generous way, then the mids and treble.
I would not categorize the HP-3s as "Beats", or as Bass-Head Nirvana, but, as compared to something like the Ananda or even the HD650s, these have more bass response, and better, but more.
So, to any reader who is tottering on the cusp regarding making a purchase, be advised that the HP-3s are not bass shy, they are bass confident, they are full of bass.
Whomever designed these, likes bass, but they also like a sweet musicality that defines the HP-3s mids and treble.
These are not headphones you are going to use to go on a musical/frequency micro-detail hunt, nor are they headphones you are going to reach for as your first response if you want to mix or master music in a studio using headphones.
Not at all....
These are designed with a certain tuning that allows for an enjoyable, mostly fatigue free, listening experience across a wide selection of musical genres`.
They are absolutely designed for a "fun listening experience" vs, X-Ray analytical probing of your music cache.
These headphones have nothing in common with a balanced neutral tonality, tho they are quite accurate/truthful...but because the bass is created to be quite thick, a potential buyer needs to enjoy this type of sound or they would not be happy with their purchase.
Fidelio X2.....is an example of a headphone that caters to the same type of "fun" sound that is similarly speaking out of each of the HP-3s ear cups., But, the PhilipsX2 has more of a "V" shape and slightly less mids.

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #13 of 621
I agree with everything @FullBright1 says. This is my second go around with the HP-3’s. The first time around I had the same oak color. I regretted selling these so this time I got the ebony. These are wonderful, full sounding headphones. They are just every so slightly v-shaped. Bass lover's will enjoy these. There's plenty on low end that integrates nicely with the rest of frequency spectrum. It's extended with depth. The mids do take a slight step back unlike something like a HD650 were the mids dominate the sound. The treble has excellent clarity.

These are one of the most musically enjoyable headphones out at the moment. The have a warmth to their sound that just works for a lot of different genres. The others in my opinion that fall into this musically, warm sound are the ZMF Auteurs, Acoustic Research AR-H1's, Hifiman HE-500's and a well driven HD650, which can still play with the big boys. Right now I'm listening to these through the Burson Fun with SparkoS SS3601 op-amps, Shiit Loki Mini, and the Burson Conductor Air as my DAC. In case anyone one is wondering, they do scale very well with the Hugo 2 and iFi Pro iCan. But this level of gear is not needed to make these headphones sound good. They are very easy to drive.

Absolutely agree.....:)

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 621
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Klipsch headphones . After some time passes, would love to hear your
comparison between
the Klipsch HP-3 and the Quad ERA-1 ! Even though one is a planer and the other a dynamic driver, as you mentioned previously.

The Quad is all about lovely neutrality and midrange excellence..
The HP-3 is all about a dynamic-lively sound, much wider soundstage, and you gotta love that bass.

Most of my recent headphone listening experience is with Planer's, so, when i heard the HP-3, i was expecting it to not have the same tone....but, it has a bit of a Planer sound, and i'd say the mids and treble, sound a bit like the LCD-X.
By that, i mean the tone........as the LCD-X has a bit more treble and the HP-3 has a bit more warmth.
The HP-3's bass response is larger then the bass response of the LCD-X, and prettier, and more musical.
The HP-3s sound,...it has an overall thickness, weight, and solidity, to it.
Nothing thin, shrill, or small, about it's sound.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 621
Sometimes i shop on Ebay, as often a dealer will offer lower prices there, (on sale) (New, with full warranty).
I just looked and the dealer that is selling them is doing it for $959.99 USD.
If he puts them on sale they'll be less then $900USD.
I wish i could list an online dealer who is doing them for less then even $959.....however, can't do it for you today.
-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-...461383?hash=item3b2bb6a847:g:shsAAOSwhE5ccLkK

Thanks, @FullBright1,

No problem, I appreciate the help, :)

Certainly keep the link in mind though they don't ship to where I am in the world which is almost sad but not surprising :p

So I will continue to keep an eye out or maybe if another sale or dealer comes along with a good deal, I would appreciate the heads up though don't trouble yourself unnecessarily unless some dealer has other gear you can recommend as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back