Klipsch Has some new things?
Aug 2, 2012 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
http://www.klipsch.com/coming-soon

Looks like Klipsch has some new things up it's sleeve.  Of course, we see another iteration of the S4 series.  The S7s look very interesting with their ceramic housings...  Any thoughts?

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 12
Well, at least it is BA. The S4 series/variants has been beaten to death and the Reference series isn't much of an improvement either. Hopefully Klipsch can revive some of the magic they used to have in the X and Custom series. They really need that.

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Aren't there cheaper dual and single armature that are better sounding than the X10? So, why would you buy a $200 single armature that slots in below the X10. Unless you need the mic and controls there is a long list of phones I might go for ahead of this at $200. Not a big deal cause it isn't a flagship nor claiming to be one but $200?? Aren't you going against Ety, Phonak, Sony's single armature phones and even the A161P?

I just don't see it unless the price drops. The economy is still crap here in the states. Joe consumer walks into B&H or J&R here in NY. He really doesn't know better. Hard to think he walks out with the $199 Klipsch over the $98 Sony XBA-1ip.

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 12
Aren't there cheaper dual and single armature that are better sounding than the X10? So, why would you buy a $200 single armature that slots in below the X10. Unless you need the mic and controls there is a long list of phones I might go for ahead of this at $200. Not a big deal cause it isn't a flagship nor claiming to be one but $200?? Aren't you going against Ety, Phonak, Sony's single armature phones and even the A161P?

I just don't see it unless the price drops. The economy is still crap here in the states. Joe consumer walks into B&H or J&R here in NY. He really doesn't know better. Hard to think he walks out with the $199 Klipsch over the $98 Sony XBA-1ip.

Off the bat you assume more drivers = better. Then you judge the sound without hearing them. Ok then...

Sent from an iPod touch with TapaTalk... Autocorrect may alter the meaning of this message :p

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 12
Well I gave my honest thoughts. Convince me. Why should we be excited about these? I look at the price and where they are slotted and they don't seem to be something to get very excited about. I have had two Klipsch already. The last few earphones and the over ear were not that well received. Something I have missed here? I'm being objective and have nothing against Klipsch but like ClieOS mentioned about reviving the magic just I'm not being as hopeful. I'm straight out show me. Klipsch's last 4 earphone/headphone offerings cause me to go glass half empty and have to be proven otherwise. As the saying goes, fool me one etc. It's been a while and I agree with Tai that they really need this. I'm sorry but I'll have to go with the "what have you done for me lately" crowd and happily eat crow later if they come through. 

And actually I mainly chastised the price and not really the sound. Seems they are not retiring the X10 and have an i version and an Lou Reed version it is safe to say the X7 is not made to outperform them so we can try to gauge their performance. I did as slightly less than the X10. That's the idea they give me from their pricing and naming. They would still be one of the priciest single armatures at $200 and more costly than some good performing duals. Do they not have something to prove at their opening price?    

I liked the two Klipsch I had and am not bashing them nor judging. Just a good dose of healthy pessimism
biggrin.gif
and setting the bar. They are Klipsch after all :) whom we should expect more from.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Well I gave my honest thoughts. Convince me. Why should we be excited about these? I look at the price and where they are slotted and they don't seem to be something to get very excited about. I have had two Klipsch already. The last few earphones and the over ear were not that well received. Something I have missed here? I'm being objective and have nothing against Klipsch but like ClieOS mentioned about reviving the magic just I'm not being as hopeful. I'm straight out show me. Klipsch's last 4 earphone/headphone offerings cause me to go glass half empty and have to be proven otherwise. As the saying goes, fool me one etc. It's been a while and I agree with Tai that they really need this. I'm sorry but I'll have to go with the "what have you done for me lately" crowd and happily eat crow later if they come through. 

And actually I mainly chastised the price and not really the sound. Seems they are not retiring the X10 and have an i version and an Lou Reed version it is safe to say the X7 is not made to outperform them so we can try to gauge their performance. I did as slightly less than the X10. That's the idea they give me from their pricing and naming. They would still be one of the priciest single armatures at $200 and more costly than some good performing duals. Do they not have something to prove at their opening price?    

I liked the two Klipsch I had and am not bashing them nor judging. Just a good dose of healthy pessimism
biggrin.gif
and setting the bar. They are Klipsch after all :) whom we should expect more from.

As of right now?  There is no reason to be excited or create any hype (or hate).  Being objective includes not creating a pre-bias on them until you've heard them.  That said, I'll wait for the release and see if they live up.  In my mind, pre-release hype is just as bad as pre-release hate.  Don't judge a book by it's cover, it might have the most awesome cover ever, and be empty, or it could have the dullest cover in the world, but let your imagination run wild.  

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 12

We have the specs including the driver.

SPECIFICATIONS

1. DRIVE COMPONENTS: Full Range KG 623X7
  2. FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 10Hz - 19kHz +/- 3dB
  3. INPUT CONNECTIONS: 3.5mm
  4. NOISE ISOLATION: (-29dB)
  5. NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 50 Ohms
  6. SENSITIVITY: 110 dB
  7. TYPE: Balanced Armatures
  8. WEIGHT: 0.56 ounces; 16 grams

The X5 driver is the KG623 as well. The X10 uses the KG926.

Seems like the X5 driver re-tuned. They talk about balance and the X5 was the balanced one while the X10 was the bassier model. I still think checking the X5 impressions/reviews and adding a smidge better SQ is a good expectation till we know for sure.

I like the housings. They did away with strain reliefs altogether so none of the old problems. Shorter and should fit nicely maybe even over the ear. Not sure about the flat cable over the ear though. We'll have to see how the new design ergonomics work for that. The durability looks rock solid.

To be honest, while I would like them at $150 and the X5 was most popular when it dropped to $125, the X7 does actually start out cheaper than the X5 did in 2008($249). It it would go like Sony and the EX600 it will turn out okay. The EX600 was $199 but dropped to $150 fairly quick. If they correct quickly to $150 it should do well.$149 seems to be that magic price point that is still deemed short of "expensive". There were a few 50% off sales on Klipsch phones if I remember right. $99 sale price would turn them into a good value that a few people would jump on :)

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 12
We won't know their value, SQ, or anything for that matter until they are released and people get their hands on them.  Build quality goes deeper than just looks.  It has a nice feel associated with it as well.  Although the driver does give leeway into SQ, it won't give any definitive information about it.  Everything said thus far is speculation, and nothing more.  Speculation is nil in terms of what it will tell me about a headphone.  I'd rather get actual impressions as speculation won't give any useful information.  They essentially are untested hypothesis...  With that said, I'm not going to say anything negative or positive until they are out (and I have my hands on them; IDK if I will though, hopefully I will).  

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 12
I always thought the X5 sounded rather nice. Better than anything else I heard at the price. X10 was way too bassy for me.I'll probably check out the X7 when it comes out. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #12 of 12
I did see the X7.  It's much like the X5 but was made for music phone compatibility.  I used to have the X10 but they were way too small for some.  I don't want to own too many IEMs, but I feel that I'd be willing to give the X7i a test-nod and/or check-out.  I've also seen reports of Klipsch "actual" headphones as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back