Klipsch Custom 3 or Klipsch S4
Nov 20, 2010 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Fin1211

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. Just wondering which iems i should get. I was looking at the klipsch custom 3's and the s4's. I listen to rap, alternative,  and rock, mainly. If you have any other suggestions, i would be pleased to hear. I recently had my bose ie2's stolen while shadowing a high school. They sounded alright but their highs were not detailed in any form. Need a new pair of iems. My budget is 150. Thanks!
Fin

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 12
Klipsch Custom 3 are better sounding and there orignal price was much higher than S4 but right now they are on sale and already discontinued. I will highely recommend Custom 3 for these genres and they are much more detailed in mids, highs than many IEMs in that price range and bass is deep, punchy with special crossover for better imaging, instrument separation.

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 12
X2

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Many people (including myself) had issues with the Custom 3 fit, as well as the cable.  These combined were a deal breaker for me.  Later on, I ended up getting the S4 and preferred them to the Custom 3, largely due to the fit.  The build quality is very similar and both IEM's use the same strain reliefs.

In terms of their sound, the Custom 3 is much more detailed and crispy sounding, with enough low end to satisfy all but those who are bass heads.   The S4 has the punch and slam which the Custom 3 lacked due to its being a dual BA.  However, just because the S4 has much more bass, doesn't mean it doesn't have the Klipsch highs, it is a very bright IEM.  The highs are just not quite as resolved as the Custom 3, sounded slightly more colored and sparkly to me.  The mids of the S4 are not as detailed as the Custom 3, and may be slightly more recessed.

Also, keep in mind that the Custom 3 was not designed for the same consumer market as the S4 was.  The S4 was compressed audio files in mind, being listened to by the average consumer, and will sound more forgiving and less analytical sounding.  The Custom 3 was designed for musicians.

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 12
Depending on how you like the low end to sound, and what your budget is, I would also consider the IE7.  They sound similar to the Custom 3, but are more laid back and airy, and are capable of much more bass.  The fit and cable beat the Custom 3, no contest but they do not isolate as well, and are not $99.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 12
Not to derail the thread, but has anyone attempted to desheathe the custom 3's? If I understand correctly, its the fabric mesh that causes the kinks. I was thinking about this and I figured I could try re-skinning it with either electrical tape, or that liquid rubber compound.
Sound doable?

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Not to derail the thread, but has anyone attempted to desheathe the custom 3's? If I understand correctly, its the fabric mesh that causes the kinks. I was thinking about this and I figured I could try re-skinning it with either electrical tape, or that liquid rubber compound.
Sound doable?

Me too. If i get the custom 3's, and the cable is too bad, i might think about something like this. Do you have them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back