Kind of a noob question, can you use Sennheiser HD 203 on a portable device?
Apr 22, 2011 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

a3ds

New Head-Fier
 I have a Sony Ericsson Elm, the headphones delivered with the phone are crap. I want to upgrade with hd 203, I would like to know if these headphones can be driven full throttle by a portable device, do I need to go for "streetwear" like the px series for best results? I would like an answer as soon as possible, thank you in advance.

Regards and Happy Easter.

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 11
They should, since they're meant to be somewhat portable.  However, a headphone amp (like the Fiio E5) would definitely help.  But for portable use from a phone, IEMs are usually the better choice since they tend to be driven easier.  But yes, the HD 203 should work fine from a phone.  They have a relatively low impedance and high sensitivity.

EDIT:

If you were to look a few posts down the page, there's a review on the 203s, which was quite surprising since there aren't really many reviews on this. :p  Anyway, here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496301/sennhesier-hd-203-review-and-impressions-pre-burn-in

Quote:
"One last tidbit: They are incredibly easy to drive. They can get very, very loud, and I have to listen at half volume most of the time."

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
They should, since they're meant to be somewhat portable.  However, a headphone amp (like the Fiio E5) would definitely help.  But for portable use from a phone, IEMs are usually the better choice since they tend to be driven easier.  But yes, the HD 203 should work fine from a phone.  They have a relatively low impedance and high sensitivity.

EDIT:

If you were to look a few posts down the page, there's a review on the 203s, which was quite surprising since there aren't really many reviews on this. :p  Anyway, here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496301/sennhesier-hd-203-review-and-impressions-pre-burn-in

Quote:
"One last tidbit: They are incredibly easy to drive. They can get very, very loud, and I have to listen at half volume most of the time."

Hi there, I saw that review but I assume that guy had a dedicated mp3 player or something, I want to use them with a phone and I can't really test them before buying (online). Those were my thoughts exactly, "easy to drive", but I want to be pretty sure. Thanks for the input, that review made me choose hd 203 too.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 11
if you still care about your looks when ypu are waering them in public, go for PX100. Soundwise, i think HD203 will be somewhat better. And they can also be used for home. PX100 for home uses, not such a good sound signature

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
if you still care about your looks when ypu are waering them in public, go for PX100. Soundwise, i think HD203 will be somewhat better. And they can also be used for home. PX100 for home uses, not such a good sound signature

My only concern regarding hd 203 is they are too "big" "hard to drive" on a mobile device, I will use a mobile phone as a source. I have no worries regarding sound quality at home, and I don't know anybody who owns them for a test drive with my mobile. Also, they are to be bought online, no chance of testing prior to aquisition too.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 11
They should be fine driven from a phone.  My Senn 595s can be driven fine from an iPhone, and those are considerably bigger.  Of course, it sounds a little muddy, but that can't really be avoided either way since the built-in amp in the iPhone kind of sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back