Kilpsch Image S4/S4i or Head-Direct RE0?
Nov 7, 2010 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SHP53

Head-Fier
Which one is better? And what is the recommended amp I should use? I'm really looking for nice, quality portable IEMs great for listening to mostly Metal and Electronic.

So far the RE0 has gotten better review but I just want to make sure, I am new to the headphones world (been using cheap, stock apple headphones for years) and do not know much about headphones.

For the amp, is the  FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier a good choice?
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001P9EQH8/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

And is it necessary to have a LOD for it such as FiiO L3 Line Out Dock (LOD)
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L3-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003UCESP8/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_c

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 6
they have different sound to them. the REO's are said to be flat and analytical. the S4's, i have personal experience with and i thought they were bassy, lacked mid-range, and were very sibilant. the bass was nice, but i hated the rest of their sound. the mid-range sounded dull and distant, and the highs can be very harsh and sibilant. the top end seemed peaky to me.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks, what are some other decent options I can look for around the $50-$100 price range?
I've heard that the bass on the RE0 is awful, almost non existent, which kind of turns me off...

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 6

I don't like recommending things I haven't heard, and I haven't heard all that much. My last IEM's were the Klipsch S4's, and the Brainwavz M2's were the ones that replaced them. One listen to the M2's was all I needed to decide to return the S4's. I am very happy with the M2's. They fit my needs/tastes perfectly. I'd definitely look into them.

I haven't heard these, but I'd also possibly look into the Phonak Audeo Perfect Bass. Haven't heard them, but I am very interested in trying a pair. These are also tunable, so you can easily alter the sound. They can go from being flat and analytical to being bassy and fun. Sounds like the way to go to me. They may be my next IEM.

Quote:
Thanks, what are some other decent options I can look for around the $50-$100 price range?
I've heard that the bass on the RE0 is awful, almost non existent, which kind of turns me off...

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:

i wouldnt say RE0 bass is non existent, it just needs some boost.
I'll 2nd the Brainwavz M2.

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 6
Bass on RE0 isn't terrible or non-existant. Listen to RE0s for 30 mins and the bass will feel tight and awesome, but still won't be rumbly. It's all about perception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back