Killer Bass from something PORTABLE
Jul 23, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

In fact it gives up, breaking up into vibrations before anything really meaty, if bass is what you're into.

Have you considered that your HD 280 Pros are probably defective? I have them and they sound great. The bass doesn't distort and I don't have any complaints about their sound.

If you don't like the comfort, then I can understand that. However, your description of how terrible the sound is makes me really think that yours are defective.

Of course, you have some strange appreciation for the V700DJs, so maybe your hearing is defective?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #32 of 44
Afroide, if you want a closed portable hp, check out the Sony D66 eggos. The bass may not be as prominent as you'd like, but they're small, detailed, and they're designed pretty well. The KSC-35s sound better at 1/4 of the price, but they're open and I personally have some tangling problems with them.

Jul 23, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
The HD280 has an accurate and adequate bass response but it could never be called visceral. In fact it gives up, breaking up into vibrations before anything really meaty, if bass is what you're into.

I guess I should see what the fuss is about, like the 280's - and pick up a 750X soon - I've only tried the 7506 once and didn't really do them justice soundwise. Heck of a lot more comfortable than the 280's tho...

there must be something wrong with yours, mine can take all the bass in the world and not distort.... they hit a lot tighter then my 2 12" mtx's....

Jul 23, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Afroide
That's the one nice thing about the Koss KSC-35s. I can snag a pair of those, and can still try out those Sony earbuds just for the hell of it.

I'll let you know how it works out, but I suspect it'll be a while waiting for the iPod
frown.gif

Probably a good idea to have both in any case. Quiet area - Koss, public areas - EX70.

I rate the Koss units very highly - even the KSC-50/55 which some people rag on here - but they're too easily overpowered by background sound. And rather like Grados, when they're in that situation, they sound truly crap.

At least with the EX70's you are assured consistent mediocrity.

Having said that, I'm not sure how the iPod's amps will affect the EX70. Bearing in mind the standard earphones are 32ohm impedance, and they quote 30mw per channel, I can assume that they measure it as 30mw into 32 ohms. That's pretty damned powerful - since an EX70 has an impedance of 16 ohms. Not sure how they will behave on an iPod...

Jul 23, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3

there must be something wrong with yours, mine can take all the bass in the world and not distort.... they hit a lot tighter then my 2 12" mtx's....

I guess I must listen to 'crappier music' than you then, musn't I?

Jul 23, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd

Have you considered that your HD 280 Pros are probably defective? I have them and they sound great. The bass doesn't distort and I don't have any complaints about their sound.

If you don't like the comfort, then I can understand that. However, your description of how terrible the sound is makes me really think that yours are defective.

Of course, you have some strange appreciation for the V700DJs, so maybe your hearing is defective?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

I really did think about this. I doubted my hearing for a while, I can tell you. But I have decent gear besides the V700, on which my opinions seem to 'sync' with other people who talk sense - unlike some - and I do mean only some - of the HD280 cheerleaders. I also have perfect pitch.

There is also nothing wrong with my 280's - they are truly in rude health, and sound like other broken-in 280's.

And I do genuinely like the V700's for specific types of music, directly from a portable, on the move in high-noise areas.

Go figure.

Jul 23, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #37 of 44
If you like your V700DJ's, that's fine. But for my wildly varying music tastes, I just don't care much for them - they sound okay for some types of music but horrible with others (oddly, I found them horrible with rock and "mainstream" pop myself, and mediocre at best with classical and jazz; in fact, the only type of music that I feel comfortable with out of the V700DJ's is rap - which happens to be one of my least favorite types of music).
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse

I guess I must listen to 'crappier music' than you then, musn't I?

where did that come from??? Im just saying that yours may be defective! yeesh!
rolleyes.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #41 of 44
King of the bass is the SONY V6 or mdr7506. Way way LOW but not boomy. If HD600's had this bass they would be the perfect phone.

Jul 25, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #42 of 44
Afroide
if you dont mind sound leakage and prefer the grado sound then u should look into Grado 325s. I have SR-80s and SR-325s and I think that 325s bass is tighter, deeper and has more visceral impact.
they might not be the perfect match for a portable though

cheers
RawHit
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
King of the bass is the SONY V6 or mdr7506. Way way LOW but not boomy. If HD600's had this bass they would be the perfect phone.

the 280s bass is better, and it is said that the beyer 250-80 and 770 pros have even better bass.

i have used use the v6 and now use the 280 pro.

Jul 25, 2002 at 8:11 AM Post #44 of 44
I use the V6 with my iRiver ChromeX mp3/pcdp. I also use it on the computer. It works great for both. (I listen to mostly metal) I like deep bass, but not boomy, and the V6s do that well. These are my first pair of decent cans though. They're fine for me now, but I know once I get money I'll probably save up for something a bit better.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back