Killer Bass from something PORTABLE
Jul 22, 2002 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Afroide

New Head-Fier
I currently have a set of Grado SR-80s, and while they are, IMO, incredible bang for the buck, I'd like something that sounds somewhat comparable, but I need better Bass. My SR-80s sound great when I turn on Bass-Boost, but I want something that I don't NEED to fiddle with to get nice lows.

If that isn't enough, I'm picking up a 20gb Ipod, so the replacements have to be very portable (Thinking of picking up the Koss KSC-35s as I heard they have excellent sound with a nice low end).

So how about it? Does anyone make a relatively inexpensive (less than the etymotic 4s) portable headphone that gives nice visceral Bass without having to do much farting around with EQ settings?

Jul 22, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

My SR-80s sound great when I turn on Bass-Boost

oh my....
biggrin.gif

anyway if you want really boomy and muddy bass that will jiggle your brains then get something like those sony dj700 thingies...
biggrin.gif

if you want correct sounding, and low extending bass, then you can look at other options. If you're going cheap, then some koss35's or maybe koss portapros could suit you well. If you want something more expensive you might look at sony v6's or beyer 250-80's.

Jul 22, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 44
HI:
I agree the 35s or for more bass the portapros. These are cheep and great cans and if you have a portable amp wow

Jul 22, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 44
For visceral bass, I'd recommend the MDR-V700DJ. Yes, people will crap on them here but I've heard fewer better headphones for listening to rock/dance/nu-metal/etc on the move. Although they aren't exactly a classical music or what I call 'weak-ass music' phone.

They have the combination of killer bass (not ultra-deep but deep enough - actually better in portable use this way), plus a reasonably well defined midrange and treble - without being over-sharp. It's actually better if you don't fart with the EQ settings as if you do, things can get out of hand.

They are a little big though if you're walking around with something as bijou as an iPod.

The KSC-35's are excellent, but if you are using to using the SR80's you'll be aware of the effects of sound leakage in both directions. The KSC-55's would probably clamp to the ears better (I've got the 50, bass not spectacular due to the loose fit) and be easier to put on/take off.

Also I'm sure there are some Ety users who'll say, give in, it's worth it...

Jul 22, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
for the record, i was kidding when i was recommending the sony 700's....
rolleyes.gif

Duly noted. I wasn't. remember I have all your phones and more to compare.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 44
Sony V6's, i use them with my MD player, they sound great and the unit drives them effortlessly.

Avoid those ****ty dj cans someone else in here actually recommended.

Jul 23, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 44
Yes I have now.

The guy asked for visceral bass, not a balanced sound. If he asked for the latter, the 7506 would have been my choice.

I have another question re: the 750X series - I think I'll put it in a separate post.

Jul 23, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 44
I find players also have something to do with how much bass comes through.. I get alot more bass from the d555 then the ct570
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Jul 23, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
For visceral bass, I'd recommend the MDR-V700DJ. Yes, people will crap on them here but I've heard fewer better headphones for listening to rock/dance/nu-metal/etc on the move. Although they aren't exactly a classical music or what I call 'weak-ass music' phone.

They have the combination of killer bass (not ultra-deep but deep enough - actually better in portable use this way), plus a reasonably well defined midrange and treble - without being over-sharp. It's actually better if you don't fart with the EQ settings as if you do, things can get out of hand.

They are a little big though if you're walking around with something as bijou as an iPod.

The KSC-35's are excellent, but if you are using to using the SR80's you'll be aware of the effects of sound leakage in both directions. The KSC-55's would probably clamp to the ears better (I've got the 50, bass not spectacular due to the loose fit) and be easier to put on/take off.

Also I'm sure there are some Ety users who'll say, give in, it's worth it...

THE V700DJ's do not HAVE GOOD BASS> THEY HAVE MID/UPPER BASS BOOM. THEY SUCK, IN OTHER WORDS. THE BASS IS VERY LOOSE< BECAUSE OF THE LARGE EMPTY SPACE FOR AN ENCLOSURE< RESULTING IN BASS THAT HITS AFTER THE ACTUAL NOTE IS SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED, ITS NOT "TIGHT" BASS. IT WILL JUST MOVE YOUR EARS AROUND. ALSO< IT DOES NOT HIT VERY LOW.... AT ALL. THERE IS NO BASS EXTENSION OR DETAIL. THESE ARE HORRIBLE CANS, THAT ARE DESIGNED ONLY TO LOOK GOOD AND RIP PEOPLE OFF. GOOD BASS IS ON THE SONY V6 ($70), THE SENNHEISER HD280 PRO ($100), AND THE BEYERDYNAMIC DT-250-80 ($150).

THE KOSS KSC series has good bass, but it is not as deep, in comparison to the v6/280/250-80, but it is very deep for being a cheap, open phone.

Jul 23, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 44
As odd as it sounds, the V700 does have "visceral" bass, if you don't mind that it totally sucks.

But from what I've heard, the KSC35 or PortaPro will do the job much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back