Killer Bass from something PORTABLE
Jul 23, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #16 of 44
Portables don't like to give bass, so give in and use the bass boost mwhahaha... I like the bass of the beyer 250-80s, I find the senn 280's to have less bass impact.

Biggie.

Jul 23, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

I have all your phones and more to compare.

Whatever dude, if that makes you feel special. Well just to let you know that once in my life, i actually did try the sony 700's. All i have to say is that i never went near them again after that.
biggrin.gif

I think this guy should just get a nice amp, a decent pair of phones, and sit back and relax. I'm totally into my grado 60 CHA47 combo. Really great.

Jul 23, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #18 of 44
i have found most of the grado series to have horrible extended bass, so I think that he should have something other then the grados...

V6

HD280 PRO

DT250-80

Jul 23, 2002 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
i have found most of the grado series to have horrible extended bass, so I think that he should have something other then the grados...

Horrible? How so?

Jul 23, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #21 of 44
The HD280 has an accurate and adequate bass response but it could never be called visceral. In fact it gives up, breaking up into vibrations before anything really meaty, if bass is what you're into.

I guess I should see what the fuss is about, like the 280's - and pick up a 750X soon - I've only tried the 7506 once and didn't really do them justice soundwise. Heck of a lot more comfortable than the 280's tho...

Jul 23, 2002 at 11:09 AM Post #22 of 44
Afroide...

Quote:

«I currently have a set of Grado SR-80s (...) but I need better Bass. My SR-80s sound great when I turn on Bass-Boost...»

What source do you use? I.e. most (if not all) portable MP3 and some MD players don't harmonize at all with low-impedance headphones such as the Grados (32 ohms): they suffer from a lack of bass.

Therefore I recommend the Koss Portapro or KSC 35 (60 ohms) – which btw innately have good bass (extension) and a very good sound (balance) for the price.

Another solution, to tie in with your existing equipment: grant your SR 80 an amp!

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Jul 23, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #23 of 44
Perhaps I should clear a few things up. I'm buying a 20gb iPod, so while a portable amp WOULD probably do the trick with my SR-80s, I want something with alot more portability.
so the phones would have to be well driven off of 30mw per channel.

As far as what kind of sound I'm after, I really do like my SR-80s, and am actually pleased with the low end the headphones are capable of. The problem is that, with bass boost turned off, the low end is drowned out by the upper frequency ranges. This is with my Panasonic SLCT470 CD Player. Ideally, I'd like something that sounds exactly like the SR-80s, but way more portable, and with less frequency rolloff below say 80 hz.

I get the impressions with a couple of the posts that some of you think I'm only after thumpin bass, but this is not the case. Some music is not meant to be Bass heavy, and that's no problem to me. But If I'm listening to something like Radiohead - Karma Police, I bloody well want to hear those lows without having to hit Bass Boost (Which tends to make alot of what I listen to sound like crap).

I'm going to check out the KSC-35s. I figure for 30 USD, I can buy a pair and I really don't have to be concerned if I want to check out another pair of headphones.

Jul 23, 2002 at 11:40 AM Post #24 of 44
Has anyone here actually used the Sony MDREX70LP earphones?

And please, don't crap on them if you haven't tried them. They would be perfect for use with the iPod when I'm on the go, provided they don't sound like corrugated a@@.

Thanks for all the ideas BTW. Alot of the suggestions are a bit bulky for use on the go, but I think I may pick up a second set of phones for home at some point in the near future, so they'll come in handy.

Jul 23, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #25 of 44
Afroide...

I have some EX70LP... and never use them: too much too soft bass and coolish (somewhat resonant) highs, relatively lifeless... the Portapros sound much more natural, airy and lively. Anyway, if extreme portability and isolation have priority, they are acceptable: extended frequency response, clear and smooth sound.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Jul 23, 2002 at 1:13 PM Post #26 of 44
That's the one nice thing about the Koss KSC-35s. I can snag a pair of those, and can still try out those Sony earbuds just for the hell of it.

I'll let you know how it works out, but I suspect it'll be a while waiting for the iPod
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Afroide
So how about it? Does anyone make a relatively inexpensive (less than the etymotic 4s) portable headphone that gives nice visceral Bass without having to do much farting around with EQ settings?

Get KOSS Porta PRO's (NOT!!! the *S*portaPro - I have them BOTH and the Portas are worth the price difference...). They got the bass you want - (stronger than KSC35, from what I hear on the forum). Anyway, these phones are great value for money (arround 50$) with very good bass - surrelly don't need any boost in this area - if any, I would like more highs...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #28 of 44
The Ipod has a 30mw/channel amp?

Quote:

Originally posted by Afroide
Perhaps I should clear a few things up. I'm buying a 20gb iPod, so while a portable amp WOULD probably do the trick with my SR-80s, I want something with alot more portability.
so the phones would have to be well driven off of 30mw per channel.

Jul 23, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
The Ipod has a 30mw/channel amp?

From Apple's Website...
----
A high-output (60-mW) amplifier provides CD-quality sound with a wide dynamic range. The result? Deep, pulse-pounding bass and sharp, crystal-clear highs.
----

That's 30 per channel

Jul 23, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #30 of 44
What on earth would you use that'd need 30mw per channel, apart from high-end Senns?
eek.gif
eek.gif

All of my headphones, including my Grados are more than loud enough with just 5mw per channel
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

All the votes for the KSC-35 make them sound sure fire winners, but... in my experience, you'd want to steer well clear of the KSC-50/55... which to me at least, sound really crappy

just my $0.02
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back