Kill Bill Vol. 2 v. Vol. 1?
Apr 18, 2004 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Okay, the second volume is tighter and a much better overall film than the first, but the music seems to stand out a bit less.

Anyone bought the second soundtrack and can compare it to the first?

Apr 18, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 12
I quite literaly Just walked inthe door from seeing KB2.

I liked the first one better, but both make a nice set.

Music is better in the first.

BILL

Apr 19, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 12
Okay, I know this is suppose to be about music, but what was better about Vol. 1? Maaayyyybbeeee (if I'm being very generous), I might say I may be bias towards the second "western" half, as a westerner, over the first "eastern" volume, but...
... the first half, barely has a reason to exist. Very little background not covered in the second half better. Very little plot/story period. Pretty much just stylized non-violent/cartoon violence. That's it. Don't worry folks, no spoilers here... but the second half is much tighter storytelling, where characters actually... speak. The Bridge and Bill become well... characters. Volume Two is a self-contained story (which except for a little sword background story), doesn't even need the the first installment. In fact it shows (even more strongly), what a wasted opportunity the first film unfortunately was.
Well, that's my take anyway. Please let me know the other side.

Apr 19, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 12
I loved the soundtrack to volume 2.

Also, I think the movie works even better if you see vol 2 BEFORE vol 1. It works either way, though. I like how cyclical it is.

Apr 19, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 12
I don't own either soundtrack (and I agree, blessingx, that Vol. 2 was several strata more superior than the first [film-wise]) but the remix of Malcom McLaren's "About Her" from the end of the second is absolutely masterful. What a gorgeous track, and it couldn't have fit better into the film itself.

- Chris

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 12
I must have been high on something, but I actually bought the soundtrack to Kill Bill Vol 1 (well, an Asian bootleg for $2.50). You know, it was a completely useless soundtrack. Both the "Pulp Fiction" and "Reservoir Dogs" soundtracks were pretty cool, with a good selection of oldies and whatnot. But Kill Bill Vol I was pretty g*ddamn awful. Nothing you would actually listen to. Watching the movie, I thought the music was pretty pathetic. Listening to the soundtrack on it's own painfully confirmed this. I gave it away.

Apr 20, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I must have been high on something, but I actually bought the soundtrack to Kill Bill Vol 1 (well, an Asian bootleg for $2.50). You know, it was a completely useless soundtrack. Both the "Pulp Fiction" and "Reservoir Dogs" soundtracks were pretty cool, with a good selection of oldies and whatnot. But Kill Bill Vol I was pretty g*ddamn awful. Nothing you would actually listen to. Watching the movie, I thought the music was pretty pathetic. Listening to the soundtrack on it's own painfully confirmed this. I gave it away.

It may not be incredible, but I'd put it on par with Reservoir Dogs (which is no Pulp Fiction). "Bang Bang" by Nancy Sinatra is the best opening I've heard on a soundtrack since maybe Dick Dale on PF. Luis Enrique Bacalov, the 5,6,7,8's, and even Zamfire are all great on Vol. 1.

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 12
I think the first movie had more of a soundtrack, while the second while swayed more towards a traditional movie score, however adopted from other movies it was. There was far less stylized scenes based around the music like there were in the first one; the one I remember the best was the final fight between The Bride and O-Ren with that Latin music, which was just fantastic.

Nov 7, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
I don't own either soundtrack (and I agree, blessingx, that Vol. 2 was several strata more superior than the first [film-wise]) but the remix of Malcom McLaren's "About Her" from the end of the second is absolutely masterful. What a gorgeous track, and it couldn't have fit better into the film itself.

- Chris

I loved the movie - alot! - but that track is what made me buy the soundtrack. Absolutely amazing song and I agree about how well it fits the sequence. It really makes you "feel" the movie in an unsurpassed emotional way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back