Kids and mobile phones
Apr 23, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #16 of 51
hmm is it weird that i never punctuate or capitalise anything except when writing texts?

i fcuking loath text speak

oh and doesnt everyone over the age of abut 5 have a mobile? my nephew is like 6 months and has one (granted he just uses it to play music like a toy)

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #17 of 51
It's insane!! Last time I was driving by and there were kids getting out of school I was shocked to see elementary school kids with cell phones, ipods, etc. When I was in elementary school(I sound like an old man!) cell phones were still pretty much "brickphones" and the most modern phone was the startac flip phone. And ipods, I don't even think anyone had a CD player(this was the late 90s) until at least middle school.

And myself, I didn't have a cellphone until I started college. And even then I wasn't that interested, it was more of a necessity than a device for chatting and texting for ****s and giggles. I still stick by my belief that if someone needs me enough, they can come find me.

And texting. This degradation of the English language is spreading like a virus. These kids now never even have a chance, since they're exposed to this garbage at such a young age, it is almost becoming their primary language. I took an English Comp writing class last semester and it was written in the syllabus that texting language is not to be used in any assignments turned in. And another professor emailed us that she wants to email her in English and will not read that text message crap.

Thankfully, the Firefox "spellchecker" still doesn't recognize texting as a word!
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still refuse to degrade myself to the level of 'English' that is used by texters. If you want a text from me, it will come in proper English with relatively good grammar, and if you want me to read one from you, it better be relatively readable without having to think about it.

Same here, at least it will be in my best grammar, which whilst that isn't very good in of itself. You don't have crap like gr8 instead of great and such bollocks.

The bigger thing is, how do kids under high school afford an ipod etc (I assume those who have them in high school got a job to afford one). I mean, if a 12 year old is walking around school with in ipod and mobile phone, what else have there parents bought them back home. Not that in of itself is my issue, its that if you have everything you want from such a young age, what is going to drive you in a commercial sense in the future. I know I work alot more as a reuslt of my audiophile nature, but if I couldn't work I simply couldn't afford it. Consumerism has taken completely over.

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back in my day, we walked fifteen miles in the snow to get a phone. And there was no texting, we could only leave messages after downing a mug of warm apple cider.

You forgot the part about it being uphill, both ways
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here, at least it will be in my best grammar, which whilst that isn't very good in of itself. You don't have crap like gr8 instead of great and such bollocks.

The bigger thing is, how do kids under high school afford an ipod etc (I assume those who have them in high school got a job to afford one). I mean, if a 12 year old is walking around school with in ipod and mobile phone, what else have there parents bought them back home. Not that in of itself is my issue, its that if you have everything you want from such a young age, what is going to drive you in a commercial sense in the future. I know I work alot more as a reuslt of my audiophile nature, but if I couldn't work I simply couldn't afford it. Consumerism has taken completely over.

eBay.
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally text speak, but only when texting. I try to use proper grammar in life and typing.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's with this new trend kids (and even adults) are walking along staring at mobile phone oblivious to the world

Also, I've noticed an even worse trend then walking and texting--- DRIVING and texting!!!

This issue was brought up in one of my classes and I was surprised to learn that almost half the class admitted to texting while driving. And of course they claim they are being safe because the are super cautious and invincible (young adult and teenage mindset).

It scares the crap out of me as a biker and a mortal.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #22 of 51
I honestly don't understand how anyone could do both at the same time.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #23 of 51
It's really bad in Japan when it comes to texting and driving. People even do it while riding bikes with headphones on!!!

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #24 of 51
Ignorant parents I suppose.
And of course pressure from the kid, since "all" of his/her school friends have a cellular...

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #25 of 51
I found at least one good use for my son's cell...the other day I texted him to get ready for me to pick him up for his dentist appointment, he showed it to his teacher and she let him go to the office where I picked him up as soon as I walked in...it usually takes about 15 minutes for him to show up if I just walk in and ask for him at the front desk...

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #27 of 51
Where do these parents think their kid(s) will be at from 7am-3pm during the day that they would need a cell phone? If it's not at school, then giving them a cell phone will only help them skip school. Good parenting now-a-days is rare. It's gone down the ****-hole like common sense has.....

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I've noticed an even worse trend then walking and texting--- DRIVING and texting!!!

This issue was brought up in one of my classes and I was surprised to learn that almost half the class admitted to texting while driving. And of course they claim they are being safe because the are super cautious and invincible (young adult and teenage mindset).

It scares the crap out of me as a biker and a mortal.

Four seventeen year-old girls were killed not far from where I live last year, just before their graduation. They were the first of two cars heading for a girls weekend. The driver sent a text message to the girls in the other car, and seconds later swerved across the center line and went head on with an 18 wheeler. All four were killed instantly.

This whole texting/yakking on cell phones/nursing babies while driving has totally gotten out of hand. Of course, if the stupid ones weed themselves out, we all may be better off. Unfortunately, all too often others pay the price, like the 25 people on that train in L.A.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #29 of 51
I think it's a non-issue personally. The main concern is the amount of girls who decide to show their body to their boyfriends via a phone-recorded video and then how frequently it gets bluetoothed around.
I'm surprised these technology savvy kids havnt worked out that is what will happen yet.
On a similar note, the posession of a cellphone at school is pretty pointless considering the number of phones available at the average school. But that comes down more to bad parenting rather than poor choices on the child's behalf.

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's a non-issue personally. The main concern is the amount of girls who decide to show their body to their boyfriends via a phone-recorded video and then how frequently it gets bluetoothed around.
I'm surprised these technology savvy kids havnt worked out that is what will happen yet.
On a similar note, the posession of a cellphone at school is pretty pointless considering the number of phones available at the average school. But that comes down more to bad parenting rather than poor choices on the child's behalf.

im not sure what u mean by that part. in my school in california, and many others in my area as well do not have any phones for students to use. we dont have public phones for students to use or anything. nothing. so cell phones are pretty much a must since theres not really any other way to contact anyone during school or after school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back