Kicker hp541
Jul 21, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #16 of 33
Hahaha... Well I meant to say snobs, but in my rush I made a typo. :xf_eek:
Well, hell, go ahead and be a nob if you prefer it over snob. It's the same to me.

Botbyte,
Feel free to claim whatever you like about the other thread. What I fail to see is the relevance of it. Yes, I got your inside mom joke, but it wasnt either funny nor relevant. You think I can't distinguish between high grade cans and lower grade general listening cans and others. But as far as I am concerned I am very capable of such. But in contrast, you come across as some who sees headphones as either high quality or crappy.

And, by the way, if you think I was only defending the beats in the other thread, then you seriously lack some reading comprehension. It wouldve been no different if the core discussion was bashing the Sony mdrxb500 as overhyped and overpriced. And by the way, if you think monster overpriced their headgear, then you should look at audio technica with bloated prices at $1600 and over... Or it could be as low as $85 retail for the m35 that sound no better than those jvchas600 series. So there is your overprice yet again... But.. Do they sound horrible? No, they are simply not up to par for their pricing.

As for the other poster, feel free to claim what you like. But what is the purpose of bashing headphones that someone else JUST bought.
You don't like em, fine but so far it's you and maybe two others vs over 30 who love them.

Is there something wrong with your ears? No. You're just very critical, and perhaps too critical.

And that's all there is to it really.

And just for clarification, the only thing on the other thread that got me mildly annoyed was the fact that someone stated that the beats studio ($350) sound like cheap throwaway $5.00 headphones.

Here's a reality check, I dont care who endorses headphones, but if a set of cans which are priced at $350 actually sound like $5.00 headphones, believe me that very few will buy them, and probably 90% of them will return them. The line will be deemed a failure and will be discontinued, period.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #17 of 33
popcorn.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #20 of 33

Quote:
Woah, this thread is pretty much black and white.

I'm curious about these though. I want to see what side of the fence I'll end up on.

Don't do it! Actually do it, but buy both the HP541 and the Koss Pro DJ 100 (or heck, even the MDR-7506) and then do a comparison review
regular_smile%20.gif

BTW if someone was saying I was bashing a headphone...well, I don't do that. My opinion of the headphone is negative, what am I supposed to say? I only posted what I heard with my own ears. What's wrong with this again? If everyone loved the most popular headphones, this place would be quite boring.

I'll admit that I'm extremely picky with headphones, but I have no problem pointing out when a headphone is good for the money when I see it. For example, I hate the HD668B's sound signature, but that's extremely good for the price if you like that signature. Those things have a ton of detail, a clear sound and seem to be built well. I have issues with headphones that don't have a really clear sound. Usually the cheap headphones have this issue, but not all.  Even the ZX700's sound clarity bothered me.

I think when I had the Kicker HP541 I had the SRH-840, DJ100 and the crystal clear KRK KNS-8400. That probably doesn't help.

I pointed out that muffled sound on the HP541 could be caused by all that crap covering the driver, but nobody bothered responding to that. Maybe by removing this it clears up the sound a bit. If it's even possible that it can be replaced.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 33
I've actually tried these (albeit for only half an hour with songs I wasn't too familiar with, so take this with a bucket of salt.) and from the swift audition, I felt they were more muffled than the $15 MEElectronics M9...I'm really not that picky when it comes to things I only audition or get asked to try-for example my friend graciously let me borrow his Sony V150's for a ride that I forgot to bring IEM's to, and I was able to tolerate the very...strange sound for the whole ride. I can't completely cast the Kickers out from my very short audition, but I really didn't think they were special at all. I liked them more than the XB500, but I like iBuds more than the XB500... (note: I'm a self-professed Sony fanboy to cast out any doubts of me just not liking Sony. I've been feverishly following the Z1000 thread). The Kickers were pretty unimpressive for $50 though. They just sounded very...distant and veiled. Dark? A bit of a stretch because the one I tried were kinda harsh in the trebles. I can only assume QC isn't great on these, as Kicker doesn't exactly focus on headphones.

And heeeeey about the $1600 AT figure I gave, they were never sold, to my knowledge, for that much. The highest I recall is $1000. The retail prices are just inflated, maybe to make customers think they're getting a more expensive product? (A la watch companies like Invicta) Probably not, but I don't think any AT with an inflated retail price (e.g. W5000-1669, AD700-$250?) sold for that much.

I'm kinda disliking the thought that if we don't like a certain headphone, we're cast out as snobs that are too critical. There's a difference between being too critical and being objective.I've actually tried these (albeit for only half an hour with songs I wasn't too familiar with, so take this with a bucket of salt.) and from the swift audition, I felt they were more muffled than the $15 MEElectronics M9...I'm really not that picky when it comes to things I only audition or get asked to try-for example my friend graciously let me borrow his Sony V150's for a ride that I forgot to bring IEM's to, and I was able to tolerate the very...strange sound for the whole ride. I can't completely cast the Kickers out from my very short audition, but I really didn't think they were special at all. I liked them more than the XB500, but I like iBuds more than the XB500... (note: I'm a self-professed Sony fanboy to cast out any doubts of me just not liking Sony. I've been feverishly following the Z1000 thread). The Kickers were pretty unimpressive for $50 though. They just sounded very...distant and veiled. Dark? A bit of a stretch because the one I tried were kinda harsh in the trebles. I can only assume QC isn't great on these, as Kicker doesn't exactly focus on headphones.

And heeeeey about the $1600 AT figure I gave, they were never sold, to my knowledge, for that much. The highest I recall is $1000. The retail prices are just inflated, maybe to make customers think they're getting a more expensive product? (A la watch companies like Invicta) Probably not, but I don't think any AT with an inflated retail price (e.g. W5000-1669, AD700-$250?) sold for that much.

I'm kinda disliking the thought that if we don't like a certain headphone, we're cast out as snobs that are too critical. There's a difference between being too critical and being objective.

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #23 of 33
Why not take the advice and get a few and compare and then keep the ones you like the most.

And for the other posters, being a headphone snob is not someone who has a vast knowledge and experience with high end headphones, equipment and all the sorts that may grant that person the level to properly reference headphones, whether they're cheaper or more expensive. Because a true professional will never state or claim things like 'these are like $15 headphones' when certain facts surrounding the said headphones point to the opposite. A true audiophile that respects headphones will know how to objectively put things in perspective without resorting to low-brow remarks, unless it is very evident that this is the case with those specific phones.

And so far neither who had negative comments about the kickers has exhibited this quality.

But, as a frame of reference, has any of you who tried the kickers also had the chance of testing the Shure srh240 or the sony mdrv500 dj.
I'm curious how you'd compare those to the kickers.

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #24 of 33

Quote:

I probably won't. But I'm still curious. I'm even more curious about the DJ 100, 6400/8400, AD300.

I think I remember reading from you a few days ago you needed a closed headphone that's good for use for long periods of time.
The KRK KNS-6400 is probably easier for more people to like and it doesn't need an amp (the DJ100 does). It won't WOW people with it's sound (but it doesn't try to), but I find it fun and engaging, while still being close to neutral. If you ever try out the KRK KNS-6400, I suggest ordering the $20 memory foam pads for them. When you do, you have possibly one of the most comfortable headphones there is. Seriously, how many headphones out there actually use real memory foam pads? Not many.

I normally don't like to endorse closed headphones for movies, but the KRK 6400 is one where I actually could. I watched "Aliens" with them a few weeks ago and was really impressed with how well they were with movies. I really need to try them more often with games.

I bet the soundstage is as good as the SRH-940. Someday I'll find someone who has actually heard both!

I'm tempted to give the 8400 another try with the hopes that my pair was a lemon. I prefer the 6400 easily. One of the few that I almost like as much as the DJ100.

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #25 of 33
What's up peoples? I'm not here to bash anything, or anybody. I work at the Kicker HQ in Stilly, GO POKES!!!, and I met Brian (I'll leave it at that), the fella who designed the HP541's or the 09HP541's as we call them here at Kicker. I own several pairs, and I WISH I could tell you what I paid for them, but I won't. Anyhoo Brian is exactly the nerdy audiophile type you want designing the tech you wrap your brain with and he told me some pretty interesting stuff about the HP541's. Kicker bought and reverse engineered a VERY SERIOUS pair of German headphones (again, I'll leave it at that) that would for lack of a better phrase BREAK THE BANK. We (not me) copied them and gave'm better bass. At Kicker, we're ALL about bass. We gave'm a pair of removable cords (beacuase Brian was sick of snapping his from over-use), an adapter, and (in my opinion) an aesthetically pleasing outer candy shell. I'm no audiophile, and i certainly don't have much to compare the HP541's against, but I can say that we are very proud of our products and we work very hard to bring you the very best. The HP541 is a quality product and you would be cheating yourself not to shell out a couple bucks and give'm a try. Joe(shipping dept)

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #26 of 33

Quote:
What's up peoples? I'm not here to bash anything, or anybody. I work at the Kicker HQ in Stilly, GO POKES!!!, and I met Brian (I'll leave it at that), the fella who designed the HP541's or the 09HP541's as we call them here at Kicker. I own several pairs, and I WISH I could tell you what I paid for them, but I won't. Anyhoo Brian is exactly the nerdy audiophile type you want designing the tech you wrap your brain with and he told me some pretty interesting stuff about the HP541's. Kicker bought and reverse engineered a VERY SERIOUS pair of German headphones (again, I'll leave it at that) that would for lack of a better phrase BREAK THE BANK. We (not me) copied them and gave'm better bass. At Kicker, we're ALL about bass. We gave'm a pair of removable cords (beacuase Brian was sick of snapping his from over-use), an adapter, and (in my opinion) an aesthetically pleasing outer candy shell. I'm no audiophile, and i certainly don't have much to compare the HP541's against, but I can say that we are very proud of our products and we work very hard to bring you the very best. The HP541 is a quality product and you would be cheating yourself not to shell out a couple bucks and give'm a try. Joe(shipping dept)

Hey man. Welcome to head fi.. You all should know how much crap I have taken for your phones..I am responsible for the review and the resident kicker fan.. I enjoy the Kicker HP541 so much I had to bring attention to them here at headfi..You do know about the monoprice phones right? If not you should as they are rebrands of the same phone. Most will buy those as they don't even cost half price. I encourage you guys to make more headphones..

Your avatar is my picture by the way. haha. Link to my thread 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/567900/09-m50-reincarnated-the-kicker-hp541-a-headfi-first-duo-take/135#post_7762375

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #27 of 33

Quote:

Heyheyhey, wanna like register as an industry insider so you don't get into trouble (since like...that's how it works, I think)? 

Has Brian designed any other headphones? I mean, I was far from impressed by the Kickers myself, but I'd be willing to submit I've just had a bad string of luck, like I must have gone through with the M50's. 

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #28 of 33
I'm not part of ANY of Kicker's decisions. I drive a forklift for a living and am hardly an "Industry Insider." I appreciate all the heat you're taking Dsnuts  . You're a soldier, and thanks for the pic. Being an Industry Outsider I have to say that my guess is that Kicker's motivation lies where it began, providing planet Earth the BEST BEATS money can buy. If I sound like an ambassador, I am. We ALL are in the Kicker family. I'm only here to express my love of the HP541's and not speculate on future "Cans" or berate any other in the field. Although it would be sweet if one day I scoop'd up a skid of 12HP541's from recieving and brought them into the shipping warehouse.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #29 of 33
Hey Dsnuts if you like your kickers so much why don't you marry them? I highly doubt they put the PRO700MK2's to shame.

Audio Technica are industry leaders and have been in the field for quite some time. High profile events like the Grammies use almost exclusively their equipment.

Give me a ring when the artists and professionals like the Foo Fighters are producing their music with Kickers and not Audio Technica, then you'll have my attention.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #30 of 33
I don't personally like these headphones either. It's mainly because of the horrible durability. I have had 2 pairs of these headphones and both of them have stopped working on the right side after a few months of use. I don't see why this has happened, though maybe its because of weathering. Both the ear pads have quickly gotten cracks in them from weathering. I took these headphones every where with me, but I didn't through them around. I treated these things like they were my baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back