Kicker hp541
Feb 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

HeavyAudio10

New Head-Fier
I just got these not 10 minutes ago and I want to do this preliminary review. These out of the box already outperform Bose in clarity and especially bass. I know Bose isnt known for Quality around here but it just comes to show how overpriced Bose is. $55 OUTPERFORM $160 Blose. The cable is removable at the headphone (BIG PLUS FOR ME) and it comes with a long studio, and short less bulky mp3 cable. They are comfortable and I could easily wear these at most 4~5 hours. The bass isnt overpowering and will only really begin to shake the headphone at close to max volume. This might change with burn in. Build quality is Above Average.
Noise supression is actually quite good once the volume is turned up to a reasonable level. These are fun and a pleasure to listen too. I would so far give these headphones a 4.8 / 5.  

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 33

Quote:
Ya the kicker is the most underrated and overlooked headphones especially on headfi... I just got done returning the Audio Technica Pro700MK2s.. The kickers STOMP all over those overpriced pieces of ***** phones they call BASS kings..  I know this was posted a whole ago. .This community don't seem to care about GREAT sounding budget cans.. If it is a **** sounding Audio Technica there will be a thousand hits.. You know what I know. Which is the Kicker HP541 are hidden GEMS... For the guys that say they suck. .Ya I bet you guys didn't even have em. OR your ears are too much tuned to your hi fi  overpriced stuff..  You all need to clean out your ears once in a while.. Like your moms did when you were a baby.. Great sounding cans are just that great sounding cans. no matter what the price may be.

It is truely a tragedy there is no love for the kicker HP541s on these forums..

No offense, but are you 12? If you like them, that's OK, but give us a break with these childish comments. I thought I was a DJ100 fanboy, but your praise of these headphones almost feels as if your paid to post reviews on them. On the other thread there's like 10 posts from you praising these in like one day. The problem with the HP541 is that they're very muffled sounding and have terribly recessed mids. Sure, if all you care about is bass, then I'm sure they're fine. Do you understand that not everyone likes the HP541's signature?

What other headphones have you tried?

If they're such a hidden gem, you should post a review in it's own thread.

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 33

Trust me, i've owned these. You can do a search and see my posts from when I first bought them. I even mentioned that the HP541 was nice because it had a detachable cable and was quite cheap.
You should compare them to a neutral studio monitor and see how they compare when it comes to sound clarity. That's the main reason I didn't like them. It's possible that the sound can vary between pairs of headphones. I had this happen for me with the AKG K240 Studio.

Budget headphones from lesser known companies don't get mentioned here much. I've been trying to get people to try the Koss Pro DJ 100 and KRK KNS-6400 for quite a while. They're under $100. The KRK is only $100 and I listen to it more than my more expensive headphones.

$54 for the HP541 is good. I bought a $35 Audio Technica ATH-AD300 at Wal-Mart recently and it's all I've been listening to lately. Sometimes I can find a good cheap headphone, but it's rare. The only cheap headphones I've liked were the Beyer DT-235 and the Maxell DHP-II.

BTW it appears that there is a thick felt(?) over the HP541's driver. Is that removable? Maybe that could effect the sound clarity. I wanted to like them. Maybe Kicker made some changes since I got my pair. The one I bought had way too much bass and kind of ruined the experience.

Maybe the HP541 might be a good alternative to the M50. Have you tried comparing the HP541 to the M50? That would be an interesting review..
Quote:
Ha ya. Oh wait it is golden ears.. I praise them as they are $45 and they sound fantastic.. I am shure your stuff you have sound fantastic however.. It is hard to imagen you ever owning these. Recessed mids? that is laughable...

Read all the reviews on amazon on em. Those are owners, see if you read one review that says these have recessed mids..... 

I understand that everyone has what they like in sound and I respect that..I came here to learn but you are the second person I ran into were good sounding stuff as long as it is considered budget don't get any mention.. Well maybe I am trying to show the community some truth about some stuff But You can take it whatever way you like.. However.. They do sound a million times better than Audio Technica Pro700MK2s...

I might not have owned all your equipment and cans and may not have a review to show how good a phone is but something is in the works...I won't write about it I have someone else in mind...

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 33
You two should stop fight!

YOUR'E TEARING THIS FAMILY APART!!!!!

Anyways, Kicker are horrible cans and the DJ100 are only good for their price range and have a lot of better cans around it. Example: T50RP

Kicker are horrible headphones and, yes I tested them at a convention before and they were horrible.

I can only guess that this is the first good headphones you have ever owned, other then the Bose, but seriously, don't post a "Review" of them as a Thread unless you have a real talent of trusting your ears and able to distinguish between headphones. There is a separate section here at HeadFi where you post your review without making it seem like a grab for attention.

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 33
Haha, you're only making it worse and nobody here is fighting!

I'm not going to say any headphone is horrible. Ok, maybe I did before. The last thing I want to do is take away from anyones like of a headphone.
Nobody hears the same or likes the same signature.

I actually think the $80 DJ100 sounds better than a lot of much more expensive headphones. Still the best closed headphone FOR ME under $200 i've found for my music.
BTW I hope you tried the DJ100 with a good amp
regular_smile%20.gif

Thank god not everyone here has the same ears.

I think I'm just going to stop posting in this thread.

BTW I wonder if it's possible for a headphone manufacturer to post fake reviews? I mean why not? No, I'm not saying Kicker or anyone does, but I'm sure it happens more than we think.
You know what the worst reviews are? Best Buy reviews..ugh..don't get me started there. They only comparison they make to other headphones is the Bose and Monster Beats.

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
Haha, you're only making it worse and nobody here is fighting!

I'm not going to say any headphone is horrible. Ok, maybe I did before. The last thing I want to do is take away from anyones like of a headphone.
Nobody hears the same or likes the same signature.

I actually think the $80 DJ100 sounds better than a lot of much more expensive headphones. Still the best closed headphone FOR ME under $200 i've found for my music.
BTW I hope you tried the DJ100 with a good amp
regular_smile%20.gif

Thank god not everyone here has the same ears.

I think I'm just going to stop posting in this thread.

BTW I wonder if it's possible for a headphone manufacturer to post fake reviews? I mean why not? No, I'm not saying Kicker or anyone does, but I'm sure it happens more than we think.
You know what the worst reviews are? Best Buy reviews..ugh..don't get me started there. They only comparison they make to other headphones is the Bose and Monster Beats.

You caught me, I like making trouble.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I did try the DJ100 with my Receiver, meh.... I still like my modded Grado and my T50RP I value at $800 after mods. So they wouldn't be for me.

Yeah it's possible they would post a fake review, but I think they would more likely post SOME GRAND REVIEW then anything else. He's probably underaged and bored because it''s summer for most people. If you haven't noticed, kids these days try to attract attention and think that people would accept them because: THE WORLD DOESN'T ACCEPT ME AS A INDIVIDUAL!!!!

Sorry about that.....

Have you heard of a "closed circuit"
This is how Fox news, Besbuy, Mcdonalds, Apple, Dell and others conduct.

They force people in with small things and as the people start out, they force them through thrills, fear and other aspects to keep that person within the circle. The harder the person tries to puch out of the circle, they get pulled in further.

Oh boy, I derailed another thread.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 33
I had the T50RP and I must have had the only pair on earth that could not be modded to sound good. I must have spent 50 hours on it only to get a glimpse of what it MIGHT sound like.
I got so sick of it and ended up stripping nearly all of it's screws from taking it apart so much. It's in a landfill now.

I still have my SR-80, but I need to get some of those "comfy" pads if they still make them. My SR-80 is modded, but not at it's best right now. I need to still replace it's grill.

I'll admit the DJ100 MIGHT be only for people who like a specific signature. These might be the people who love the ATH-AD2000, K601, HD-598 or maybe even the K501?
I found it even had a few similarities to the Sextett. Perfect for my music. The DJ100 is kind of picky about amps too, which makes it even more annoying.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:
I had the T50RP and I must have had the only pair on earth that could not be modded to sound good. I must have spent 50 hours on it only to get a glimpse of what it MIGHT sound like.
I got so sick of it and ended up stripping nearly all of it's screws from taking it apart so much. It's in a landfill now.

I still have my SR-80, but I need to get some of those "comfy" pads if they still make them. My SR-80 is modded, but not at it's best right now. I need to still replace it's grill.

I'll admit the DJ100 MIGHT be only for people who like a specific signature. These might be the people who love the ATH-AD2000, K601, HD-598 or maybe even the K501?
I found it even had a few similarities to the Sextett. Perfect for my music. The DJ100 is kind of picky about amps too, which makes it even more annoying.

Well you must have not replaced the pads on both the T50RP or the SR80i

I have custom pads on my T50RP and the sound quality DOUBLED. Then I dampened and added a sling headband. I've tested them against the LCD-2 and HD650 and I placed them above the center mass of both of them. So better then the HD650 and just under the LCD-2.

But I probably could had made them better but I made them balanced more then anything else. If I added more treble then bass in the dampening, I would of created a LCD-2 in that case. But I'd rather have a well balanced can then anything else. One problem, they weight about 2lbs.

My Sr80i, I've removed, not replaced, but removed the grill. Added Dynamat on the inside and the driver. Added a custom pad that increases bass with a specially designed layering I made to put in the pads and added the slide clamps so that they can't move ever. They sound close to my HD598 and rival in comfort. Still not as "impact-ful" as the Hd598 but more forward.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 33
Ah.. finally a fresh HP541 thread..

DSNUTS, you were asked what experience with headphones you have, so why don't you list the 21 headphones you own.
Let the board realize that you have enough hardware and experience to post a review. Whatever words you choose to use and mannerism is up to you. To me it doesn't matter as long as the truth is told like it is. 

And let me tell you something, yes, both posters that claim that Kickers are recessed, muddy or have horrible mids and all bass, and nothing but bass. 

Okay, first off, I will speak in terms of Retail pricing since I don't buy online. And I just got the Kickers today about 4 hours ago or so and have tested them.. So my impressions are out of the box without Break-In.  I paid $112 for the as opposed to $50 online. So yes, I paid extra. But you know what, they're easily worth $150 - $200 by my book

If you you want to talk about all bass, recessed mids and nothing but bass.. then you should check these out, 

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HA-M5X-Xtreme-Xplosives-Around/dp/B004M8SAV2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311297320&sr=8-2

Those sorry-ass cans are the definition of 'Nothing but Bass'. As they really do have nothing going for them other than bass. The cord is nice and sturdy, and they're built like a tank... But that's it's. They're heavy and uncomfortable.  The have muddy highs, muddy mids, and even the bass doesn't reach the low frequencies, rather Boomy and unimpressive. Trust what I am saying from a bass-head perspective.  And how much are they online? $46? so for $10 more.. you get the Kickers... And you have the nerve to claim that the Kickers are muddy and recessed? 

And before you start going on and off on how I need to get myself acquainted with 'Real' high quality or 'Real-Neutral' monitoring headphones or all that Audiophile mumbo-jumbo, or hint that I need to experience high fidelity sound, trust me that I have enough experience in all. I used to DJ, and I was Car-Audio fanatic for while.. I can distinguish between Flac or lossles and the highest bit mp3 of the same track ON A PORTABLE with Extra Bass emphasized headphones like the Sony XB's and The Beats Pro. So, yes, I know high quality audio when I hear it.

So whatever it is you're perceiving in the Kickers as Muddiness or recession, to me could mean one of few things. Either you're too strict and only tuned yourself to a certain type of music reproduction from headphones, which makes you snobs by the way. Or never really owned or heard a bad sounding headphone, and I mean BAD sounding. Because when I mention those JVC's, be sure that the stock white apple earbuds sound better than them on every level.  Or, confusing recession or muddiness with 'sound signature'. There IS a difference.  It's like me saying that the Grados 325 or 225 have NO bass at all, when they actually do, but just a different type that fits different genres and styles.. And no, I didn't like them even though they sounded astounding... And no the kickers don't reach that fidelity, but you're not seeing me calling the Grados horrible because I didn't like that sound signature.. 

I'll post my full review on the kickers soon..

But seriously, you two, you know who you are.. stop being headphones nobs..

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
But seriously, you two, you know who you are.. stop being headphones nobs..

I'm not sure what you mean by "nobs" but I'll take that offensively

Aren't you the same guy that tried to fight off an entire army with a butter knife and didn't understand when I used a metaphor that you sounded like my mother given a high grade can and then you took that as an offense and started sputtering out, thus fighting back for Beats.......

Inside joke, don't worry about it.

In the defense of Tdockweiler, he actually is stuck in ruts all the time, but he proves a good point to each point he might make.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 33
Oh god. What happened here.
Did someone really use the word NOB? Does any used actually use that word? Does this mean "Noob" or "nub" or whatever kids use these days.

Someone has an opinion of a headphone and hates it and someone gets butt-hurt. That's OK.

I'll stand by my assessment that the HP541 is one of the muffled sounding headphones I've ever heard in my life. Feel free to proclaim my ears are wrong.

Didn't I say I was going to stop posting in this train wreak of a thread? It feels like 16 year old friends fighting over who has the better headphone. The skullcandy Titan, XB500 and Bieber's headphone.

BotByte - what the heck are you talking about? Stuck in a rut? What?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back