KICAS Caliente VS. Graham Slee Solo: Which is the BETTER amp?
May 8, 2009 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Kevin.T

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to upgrade my rig in a not too distant future:

- New source: From Sony carousel CDP to Rega Apollo
- New headphone amp: From Corda Headfive to Caliente OR Solo to power my HD-600 (mainly) and K701 (taken a backseat... might sell them eventually)

I'd rather stay with SS and not go the tube lane yet. Right now, many factors are drawing me into the Caliente: I live in Canada so shipping is going to be cheaper, faster and I don't have to bother about any power supply conversion.

But the Solo, being almost 1/3 pricier than the Caliente, leads me into believing it must be a better amp. Is it really? Or are these amps pretty much in the same ballpark and it's about preference? This is really what I want to know, I guess. I'm more than willing to pay the difference for a better amp, but if they're in the same league, I'd rather go the convenience route and buy a Caliente (and save myself some money along the way).

Any opinion would be much appreciated; I've done many searches, and while a couple of threads have scratched the surface, I haven't seen enough to form a consensus. Thanks!

May 8, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 21
I considered the same amps (and more) and went with the Caliente. Ordered today. BTW, I have not heard either amp but one thing I've learned in my time here is that more expensive doesn't necessarily equate to better.

May 9, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 21
I have not heard the Caliente, but I own a Solo SRG w/ a PSU1. You can buy it directly from Graham for under $700 including S&H w/ insurance.

The Solo is a fantastic sounding amp. I have had an opportunity to listen to SS amps ranging from $500 to well over $2,200. Without a doubt the Solo would be my selection if my budget was under $1,200. Two other units were neck to neck in the running but I ended up w/ the Solo. Of course I am still trying to find a way to purchase those two other amps since they are so good.
wink.gif
YMMV depending on your needs, expectations, system synergy, and your ears.

May 9, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the Caliente, but I own a Solo SRG w/ a PSU1. You can buy it directly from Graham for under $700 including S&H w/ insurance.

The Solo is a fantastic sounding amp. I have had an opportunity to listen to SS amps ranging from $500 to well over $2,200. Without a doubt the Solo would be my selection if my budget was under $1,200. Two other units were neck to neck in the running but I ended up w/ the Solo. Of course I am still trying to find a way to purchase those two other amps since they are so good.
wink.gif
YMMV depending on your needs, expectations, system synergy, and your ears.

Wow... sounds pretty impressive.

I guess that is with both high and low impedance phones.

What were the other amps you would consider?

May 17, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about the new Solo but the old Solo sounded too neutral to my ears.

Which version? The old one in a black enclosure or the newer one (started about 5 years ago) in a silver enclosure. With or without the PSU1 PSU?

May 17, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 21
I think my old silver solo with PSU 1 is a bit on the warm side of neutral but not too much thankfully. I am quite impressed that it´s so universal working well with HD 650, K701, PRO 900 and DX 1000. If it was on the cold side I doubt the K701 would work so well on it.

I was quite set on the Caliente but it took to long for them to be available so I found a used Slee Solo for about the same price instead. I think you should go with the cheaper one you will probably be happy with what you get. Otherwise there would be more on the for sale forum then it´s
smily_headphones1.gif

But well I like the Slee Solo great dynamics, detail, quite transparent and warm while still being tight and easy to hear details. I was quite interested in the Goldpoint headphone pro since it was a reported good match for my headphones as well but it´s a bit more if you aren´t in the US.

May 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which version? The old one in a black enclosure or the newer one (started about 5 years ago) in a silver enclosure. With or without the PSU1 PSU?

The one with black enclosure with the titular Solo splashed in a rather retro look on the front side. No PSU1 IIRC.

May 19, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one with black enclosure with the titular Solo splashed in a rather retro look on the front side. No PSU1 IIRC.

I see, there are some good mods for that unit. If interested send me a PM.

May 19, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"......But well I like the Slee Solo great dynamics, detail, quite transparent and warm while still being tight and easy to hear details. I was quite interested in the Goldpoint headphone pro since it was a reported good match for my headphones as well but it´s a bit more if you aren´t in the US."

I have the Green Solo with out the PS1,and HD580s. Your description nails it for me, except the warm part, I would'nt know
frown.gif
. I think it's fairly obvious the Green Solo is giving the 580'sall they can handle. They sound good through the entire FQ range, Flat but with the senn sound and no veil. I can clearly tell the 580'5 are holding the Green Solo back, especially in the detail departmen, I assume. This is not to say the I can't heard accurate details well. I am assuming I could here greater details with other 'phones, which is obvious
wink_face.gif
.But they work great for me, as most of what I listen to is live recordings and the best are from the stage on back to 30' or there abouts, which plays right into the senn's 15 feet back sound, to me.

Unfortunatley, I have never heard another 'phone then the HD580 so take it for what it worth aside from the disclaimer
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy

May 19, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 21
I would love to try the Solo with the PSU1 sometime.

My KICAS Caliente arrived last week. Has close to 100 hours now. But I really like what I'm hearing with the HD600 and the Sony MDR-CD3000 with the Caliente.

May 20, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to try the Solo with the PSU1 sometime.

My KICAS Caliente arrived last week. Has close to 100 hours now. But I really like what I'm hearing with the HD600 and the Sony MDR-CD3000 with the Caliente.

Dunno, maybe someone will have one at Can-Jam? I'd ask around in any case.

I dont have any experienc listening to other equipment, but to me. My green solo portray's the recording how it is. Most of my listening is live stuff, and it is, to me, evident that it gives what it's fed.Meaning soundstage width and depth, mic position, acoustics of venue, all come into play as recorded, i.e, change accordingly.

I'm not saying go out and sell ur Caliente, I'm saying go out and here a Solo and compare it to see if it's worth it to you. I have no idea. But the Solo does everything well to me, and that's with 580's.

Edit: don't know anything about ur amp, but I really doubt 100 hours is enough to judge it/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back