Khadas Tone2 Pro: Mini Desktop DAC with built-in Headphone Amplifier
Dec 18, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #31 of 245
The value proposition of this thing is just insane. XU216+9038, with 4.4mm balanced out, and on top of that 2 AS318-Bs. Jesus Christ, how do you even make a profit?? What does the BOM look like?

Dec 18, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #32 of 245
The Khadas Tone 2 Pro is the new King of portability and affordability! Love it! 😀

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #33 of 245
I have dongles that put out more power.... fail.

My kudos to Khadas for not going that way and instead implementing amplifier that delivers NORMAL amount of power for low impedance models (and hopefully a nice black background) and SUFFICIENT for many high impedance cans. Just check the specs for high impedance load, 5 Vrms is 5 Vrms

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #34 of 245
this week weird, I signed up early when it was announced and then received two email notices when it was rolled out and assuming they were duplicate I just selected the latest email and submitted the code for a $20 discount on my order. Afterwards when I clicked on the early email I saw it was a $30 discount which is what I thought it would be when I first signed up. It's $10 so no big deal but I thought it was strange thing to do. When I inquired they said it was too late since I already was processed at $179 versus $169. But again not a huge difference.

It looks like a real interesting device especially with the 4.4 and balanced out line outs. I've been getting into the whole PI-Hat streamer thing and just bought and am setting a Nanosound One kit (the setup Hans Beekhuyzen recently reviewed) including the CD Player/Ripper and 1TB M.2 SSD drive It'll be interesting to compare the differences/advantages in functionality and sound. (2) Headphone, balanced output, MQA decoding and a ESS ES9038Q2M DAC versus CD play/ripping. local mass storage, volumio and a Burr Brown DAC. The new just announced IQaudio/HiFiBerry DACpro Pi-hats looks interesting too.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #35 of 245
Hi oneula,
Thanks for the order!

submitted the code for a $20 discount on my order. Afterwards when I clicked on the early email I saw it was a $30 discount which is what I thought it would be when I first signed up. It's $10 so no big deal but I thought it was strange thing to do. When I inquired they said it was too late since I already was processed at $179 versus $169. But again not a huge difference

Will let our sales check and contact you for $10 refund :)

Have fun!

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #36 of 245
Now planning to for dac output instead of 4.4mm😊

Dec 19, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #37 of 245
My kudos to Khadas for not going that way and instead implementing amplifier that delivers NORMAL amount of power for low impedance models (and hopefully a nice black background) and SUFFICIENT for many high impedance cans. Just check the specs for high impedance load, 5 Vrms is 5 Vrms
It's Alexandros man...
May I ask..
Does the output impedance of 4.4 out on Khadas concerns you in any way??
I mean... 2.4 Ohms isn't there a bit high for sensitive iems??
I am planning to get Tone2 Pro but the majority of my iems are of 16 Ohms and lower impedance .... The ony dap that obtains such an output impedance is Colorfly C10 which I also have..
Would it be necessary an impedance adapter (like ifi IEMatch or something) for those iems or we should not worry about it???
Thanks..... :smile_cat:

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #38 of 245
Just ordered a few minutes ago. I was hoping I could add the RCA adapter to cart but . . . not yet, I guess.

Edit: This would pair nicely with my Drop THX 789

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #39 of 245
It's Alexandros man...
May I ask..
I mean... 2.4 Ohms isn't there a bit high for sensitive iems??
I am planning to get Tone2 Pro but the majority of my iems are of 16 Ohms and lower impedance .... The ony dap that obtains such an output impedance is Colorfly C10 which I also have..
Would it be necessary an impedance adapter (like ifi IEMatch or something) for those iems or we should not worry about it???
Thanks..... :smile_cat:
2.4 ohms is only a concern with low impedance BA iems like Shure SE846, but most have higher impedances.

Also, using single ended for 1.2 ohms would work better if iem has low impedance at certain frequencies.

If the iem is a dynamic driver, then there is no issues.

2.4 isn't high. Astell and Kern balanced is 2.2 ohms.

I assume Hybrid volume control is digital. I also assume the internal amp clips beyond the max impedance recommended?

Anyway, this is like a computer connected DAP level. I think the only differention is the price, but a DAP has much more with a display, storage, battery and the software at a higher cost. Hence the cost differences. To me, this is just a part of a DAP functionally. It's not set apart to be much distinguising. Ok, the power supply.

A DAP you can carry around portably to listen to music and also function like the tone board. So, you do pay higher for more features.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #40 of 245

Not much in general. It could be an issue with low impedance models (below 16Ω), but they aren't often met
Most popular models with low impedance are CA's ones, but they are pretty OK with sources that have 2-3 Ohms of impedance, so I assume it will be OK with Khadas too
Also, I'm not a fan of the popular idea "let's plug everything to a balanced out", so, much probably low impedance models will be great with single-ended out here

But currently, it's just an assumption, as I didn't test this DAC in practice. But I really hope everything will be OK here, we definitely need such a device on the market.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #43 of 245
I assume Hybrid volume control is digital.

It's hardware/analog volume but with digital/I2C control inferface, check the Volume chipset NJU72315 below for further information:

1608607507322.png

And Block Diagram of NJU72315:
1608608633921.png

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #44 of 245
It's hardware/analog volume but with digital/I2C control inferface, check the Volume chipset NJU72315 below for further information:

1608607507322.png
Does this mean the actual volume level is being adjusted by the digital/I2C interface and not the analog pot? I'm curious because 95% of amps use an analog volume pot for all volume adjustment, which can introduce some channel imbalance at lower volumes depending on the quality of the pot. And actually, I see the same exact NJU72315 is used in the FiiO Q1 mkii, which has something called ADC volume adjustment: https://www.fiio.com/q1mkii

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #45 of 245
Not quite understand what you mean of analog pot :)

Similar to potentiometer which adjust the volume via changing it's resistance value, the Hybrid volume chip also changing the resistance value via the Soft-Step logic controlled by I2C interface, check below for futher information:
1608610291377.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back