Khadas Tone2 Pro: Mini Desktop DAC with built-in Headphone Amplifier
Jan 18, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #76 of 245
Finally got mine. So excited that I just had to directly connect to my phone via UAPP.
IMG_20210118_195839.jpg

IMG_2654.JPG

My initial highlights via direct single-ended connection are 1) smooth sounding with lots of extension and air with satisfying details, warmth is apparent but maybe more due to the HPs I initially plugged in to test 2) controls took awhile getting used to, you have to push down on the wheel from the top but once you got it, it's quite simple 3) though its headphone out amp section is a welcome plus, it's defintely meant to be connected to a separate amplifier. There was lots of distortion playing on mid-high volume with a Senn HD6XX and Beyer DT770 Pro (80ohms) on high gain and too quiet for both at low gain. Its single ended HP out is definitely better left for 32ohms cans and IEMs.

On the plus side, aside from its bottom padding, it feels solid and convenient. The sound is satisfying and non-fatiguing so far. Will post a proper review once I get more time. For an all-in-one DAC at this form factor, so far this is definitely a good start to my perspective of it. Looking forward to play around with it more especially the filters.
Nice first impression. Btw, what do you mean by lots of distortion?

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #77 of 245
No wobble at all, a bit tight and sticky actually. Rotation is endlessoy smooth though while I would like the push down-click recess to be felt more for recognition but I guess either this or a loose wobble and I would definitely choose the former.

I just hope no rotation recognition issues in the long run as 90% of its functions are dependent on those.

thanks.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #79 of 245
Hi @captblaze
Glad to know you've got your T2P on hand and seems that you are the 1st one post on the public :)

T2P with ~500mA / 5V power consumption and maximum at 620mA while playing PCM 768 songs, so your Android Phone or PC can drive T2P directly and any 5W power supply will work.

We not suggest to use a phone charging adapter as many phone charger is quite noisey and it will not help for the sound(help for the battery life of your phone).

Have fun!

Useful links:
Tone2 Pro User Manual: https://dl.khadas.com/products/tone2/manual/tone2pro_user_manual.pdf
Tone2 Pro Specs: https://dl.khadas.com/products/tone2/specs/Khadas_Tone2_Pro_Specs.pdf
Tone2 Pro FAQ: https://www.khadas.com/tone2pro-faq

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #80 of 245
Nice first impression. Btw, what do you mean by lots of distortion?
Lots of distortion as in distorted noise, not even referring to distortion as in OTLs and tube coloration. Layering and definition gets lost and fuzzy from the single-ended port with high impedance headphones I tested, from the HD6xx going down to the DT770 Pro, obviously feeling underpowered but that’s direct connection without a power supply.

Of course it will probably change via balanced connection, connecting to a separate amp, or plugging a linear power supply to the I2S port. It’s already a good additional feature to have a single-ended headphone out option, just don’t depend on it as this is a DAC through and through.

Do not let that specific note distract you as this is a really fine DAC with lots of options, connectivity, and expandability for its price and size. Still have to play around with it more for more impressions.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #82 of 245
We suggest 150ohm maximum for 3.5 headphone jack, and as 4.4 balanced output with up to 5V output and also possible for 300ohm headphones.

For higher impedance headhpones we will suggest to use dedicated headphones.
Yes, agreed. Will definitely benefit and is made to pair with a capable amplifier for high imedpance headphones.

Still enjoying this impressive-for-its-form DAC, so far no harshness and dryness as with commonly tuned ESS DACs even out of an AKG Q701.

Jan 18, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #83 of 245
@KHADAS - would an 18w usb c adapter be an adequate power supply for the Tone2 Pro? Instead of buying an LPS, was thinking of repurposing a cellphone charging adapter
I think there's a risk to use these high-wattage supplies with 5V DACs. The usb-c negotiates what power it needs to draw but if something goes wrong you can maybe burn the DAC, I've seen it happen to a bunch of soncoz la-qxd online. Better safe than sorry.

Jan 18, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #85 of 245
I think there's a risk to use these high-wattage supplies with 5V DACs. The usb-c negotiates what power it needs to draw but if something goes wrong you can maybe burn the DAC, I've seen it happen to a bunch of soncoz la-qxd online. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks. Would a power bank be better or same?

Jan 18, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #86 of 245
No problem for Tone2 Pro just ensure the input rating is 5V is fine.

The Tone2 Pro designed with standard USB-C CC protocol and for any USB-C adapter with 5V/9V/12V/15V/20V output, the Tone2 Pro will only draw 5V from the adapter.

The only point we not suggest is that a normal cellphone USB-C charger might not with good power quality and with noise to deliver good sound.

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #88 of 245
is there an order logic for shipping?
like Red version first followed by xxx?

I can't tell for sure but I guess I'm pretty far down the line at order #12885
looking forward to comparing it to my Nanomesher Nanosound One Pi streamer with CD ripper

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #89 of 245
just noticed this on the purchase page for the Tone2 Pro

Screenshot 2021-01-18 205328.jpg

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #90 of 245
Thats good news, Do share some impressions when you get a chance!

Managed to connect it with an external phone power adapter and the T2P connected to my Huawei P30 Pro mobile played on UAPP without any issue. Played on HD650 connected to 4.4 balanced port. Sound is clean but I suppose it could use with a little more amplification on an external amp for lower noise floor.

Hi @captblaze
Glad to know you've got your T2P on hand and seems that you are the 1st one post on the public :)

T2P with ~500mA / 5V power consumption and maximum at 620mA while playing PCM 768 songs, so your Android Phone or PC can drive T2P directly and any 5W power supply will work.

We not suggest to use a phone charging adapter as many phone charger is quite noisey and it will not help for the sound(help for the battery life of your phone).

Have fun!

Useful links:
Tone2 Pro User Manual: https://dl.khadas.com/products/tone2/manual/tone2pro_user_manual.pdf
Tone2 Pro Specs: https://dl.khadas.com/products/tone2/specs/Khadas_Tone2_Pro_Specs.pdf
Tone2 Pro FAQ: https://www.khadas.com/tone2pro-faq

Is there any particular adapter or lps that you can recommend?

One issue I have is I am not able to use it when connected directly to the Huawei P30 Pro. There is not enough power to power the T2P. When I connect it to Mate 40 Pro, there is enough power to power the T2P but sound came out of the phone speaker instead. The connection was T2P to phone via usb c and headphones connected to the 4.4 output. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back