Khadas tone board Vs old CD player Vs new CD player
Sep 17, 2019 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

prionsarebad

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all.

I am hoping to get some advice on decision I need to make which is basically about how much better (or not) modern dacs are Vs older dacs for sound quality and whether the upgrade outlay is really worth it.

When I got back into HiFi music a while back I needed to buy a CD player since I have a very large CD collection (mostly classical but also conentional pop/rock etc) and I had given away my Cambridge Audio CD player years ago.

I was lucky to find somebody selling a nice condition 2nd hand Marantz CD 6000OSE for only £50 close to me. I was very happy. I paired this with a JDS labs Atom amp and massdrop 58X cans. These have now been supplemented with the incredicle Fidelio X2HR and a small tube amp.

Although the Marantz was/is a highly rated CD player I had been wondering how good the DAC set up in it (2x SM5872BS) was compared to something much newer like the very highly rated Khadas tone board and whether this might be a decent upgrade. I can get the Khadas + case + S/PDIF cable for ~£120.

In terms of quality comparison I found this very nice review that compares the Khadas to an older Denon player. Based on this review it seems that Khadas is a very sensible, cost effective upgrade:

However, at the back of my mind is that my second hand CD player is now nearly 20 years old and I have no idea of its likely longevity. If it fails, having bought the Khadas, I would have to source and buy a replacement transport.

Which brings me onto the Marantz C6006 UK edition. This is rated as possibly the best <$500 CD player out there and this can now be purchased in the UK for £300. The reviews are fantastic and describe a sound which sounds similar to reviews of the sound quality that comes out of the Khadas.

So, do I:

A) do nothing, and just replace the CD player as and when it dies.
B) purchase the Khadas tone board and accessories for ~£120.
C) purchase the Marantz CD6006 UK edition for £300.

Happy to hear all opinions on upgrade approaches/philosophies, and of course any opinions on the likely merits / compariosns of the products discussed.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Hello,

I know this is late, but I just ordered the Khadas last night and was searching the forum to read about others’ experiences while I wait.

In regards to your question, I would go with option B. That allows you to satisfy your curiosity and perhaps will surprise you with increased sound quality. The CD player dying shouldn’t be too much of a concern; it’s more likely that it’ll serve you for years to come.

I wouldn’t go with option C, because you won’t know whether the value of standalone DACs today are worth it or not, and your current CD player still works fine.

If you don’t want to buy anything, option A. If you’re curious or wanting, option B. Then down the line, if the CD player dies, then get a new one and compare its output to your standalone DAC. That’s what I would do.

But you probably already picked an option since you posted this in September haha. Please let me know what road you took, as I’m curious. :) Cheers and happy holidays!

Dec 24, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply.

To answer your question, I chose another option not listed, but I'm loving it :D

I purchased the lg V50, with its quad DAC, and stream tidal hi-fi bit perfect via UAPP on the phone. Stunning :)

Hello,

I know this is late, but I just ordered the Khadas last night and was searching the forum to read about others’ experiences while I wait.

In regards to your question, I would go with option B. That allows you to satisfy your curiosity and perhaps will surprise you with increased sound quality. The CD player dying shouldn’t be too much of a concern; it’s more likely that it’ll serve you for years to come.

I wouldn’t go with option C, because you won’t know whether the value of standalone DACs today are worth it or not, and your current CD player still works fine.

If you don’t want to buy anything, option A. If you’re curious or wanting, option B. Then down the line, if the CD player dies, then get a new one and compare its output to your standalone DAC. That’s what I would do.

But you probably already picked an option since you posted this in September haha. Please let me know what road you took, as I’m curious. :) Cheers and happy holidays!

Dec 24, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the reply.

To answer your question, I chose another option not listed, but I'm loving it :D

I purchased the lg V50, with its quad DAC, and stream tidal hi-fi bit perfect via UAPP on the phone. Stunning :)
Awesome! That's pretty close to option B--you discovered what modern DACs are capable of! Enjoy and happy holidays! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back