KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Apr 7, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #796 of 834
Thank you. I already contacted Soren about the GG and he was very friendly and patient. I will perhaps go for.

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #798 of 834
I saw some photos on HF, yes, wonderful built quality, thank you.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #799 of 834
Some people like amps that cut out a bit in the treble, and watching your progression over the years, it would seem you do as well - and that is fair. Purk and Mulveling both have the T2, and also sold their BHSEs. I still have a Carbon along with my T2.
More, I am after a realistic presentation, not too much sugar ion the cake that ruins it. The plankton thing was fun for a while, but in the end failed to convince me.

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #800 of 834
I recently asked Headinclouds about the combo 009 + carbon. Here is his answer if this help:

the more I read the more I find it difficult to make the right choice

My plan is to keep my 007 MK2 and add a Voce, 009S and an L700 to my collection

I wish I do not need to buy more than one amp to use with all

So which one should I choose to work well with all. I am not into having an amp that is fatiguing that is for sure

Also does sorenbrix have a sit, and how much do his amps costs range from

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #801 of 834
I have a Carbon with the 009S and there is no fatigue whatsoever. I can listen to this for hours. The treble is not hot, the mids are suberb, and the bass goes quite deep. This setup could use an iota more "oomph" in the bass, but this is not a dealbreaker for me. I listen to classical (orchestral mostly with some quartets as well as solo instruments), jazz (from Duke Ellington to Miles to Herbie Hancock), and rock (Rush, Pixies, Black Sabbath and Beck, to name a few).

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #802 of 834
the more I read the more I find it difficult to make the right choice

My plan is to keep my 007 MK2 and add a Voce, 009S and an L700 to my collection

I wish I do not need to buy more than one amp to use with all

So which one should I choose to work well with all. I am not into having an amp that is fatiguing that is for sure

Also does sorenbrix have a sit, and how much do his amps costs range from

I would recommend that you read pages 12, 13 and 14 of this thread to get some useful information. Now Mulveling has one of my DIY-T2s, so his interest in anything else has understandably diminished. But there are also some folks on here who clearly prefer some distortion and shelved frequencies in their chain, but that is about preferences - so reading through the various comments can be tricky. Even Kevin Gilmore commented very early on that because of the Carbon's faster rise time and wider frequency response, it will appear bright to some listeners, but that the amp is just much more neutral.

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #804 of 834
I would recommend that you read pages 12, 13 and 14 of this thread to get some useful information. Now Mulveling has one of my DIY-T2s, so his interest in anything else has understandably diminished. But there are also some folks on here who clearly prefer some distortion and shelved frequencies in their chain, but that is about preferences - so reading through the various comments can be tricky. Even Kevin Gilmore commented very early on that because of the Carbon's faster rise time and wider frequency response, it will appear bright to some listeners, but that the amp is just much more neutral.

Hi read those pages, and it seems that the safest is to get the Carbon, if I will add 009s it still be good with it, and I think the carbon with 007mk2 is good as well

Although I like the tube amps but I do not know how KGST would sound with all these stax headphones, especially with 007mk2 which is simply amazing but could be not great with kgst, although i like how my 007mk2 sounds with my 007tii

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #805 of 834
I can attest that the Carbon to the sound of the Carbon and the 009 and 009S pairing being pretty damn good. By far it is the best amp I have thus far heard. It shifted the sound quality of my headphones more then any other experience I have had with hifi to date. So I do believe you can not go wrong with the Carbon, but I will say that I am really beginning to miss the sweetness that tubes provide to music. I am genuinely considering the BHSE or possibly a T2 if I could find a way to pay for it. The T2 is bloody beautiful to look at, but its not like the BHSE is hideous haha.

As an update to previous messages I am about a week away from getting the Terminator in hand. I have also added to the headphone collection so as to be able compare and contrast the bigger players all within a short time span and all with the same setup. Then I can decide which will stay with me and which will go. It will be as follows:

Amp: KGSSHV Carbon
DAC: Denafrips Terminator

Headphones:
Stax SR-009S
Stax SR-009
Stax SR-007MK2
Hifiman Shangri-La Jr.
MrSpeakers Voce

Looking forward to this comparison. I will update when all has arrived.

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #806 of 834
You have to make the bass port mod with your 007 MK2 and I can told you oh boy that's awesome with Carbon!
009 and 009s are too thin sounding for my taste. Voce is worser and ShangriLa Jr too bright and also thin. And Jade II thin thin thin the worst electrostatic I ever heared.

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #807 of 834
Forgot to say my Carbon is Soren Brix built and is fantastic.

I will look into the bass port mod with the 007MK2. What exactly is it supposed to do?

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #809 of 834
Hey all my Denafrips Terminator came in today. I have only listened to it for about an hour and a half, but I can honestly say this is by far the best dac I have ever heard. Before this I had no idea a dac could have this much impact. Every single aspect of the sound is better. Just unreal. I will post more later.

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #810 of 834
Have any of you folks rocking a KGSSHV Carbon ever heard of someone using a tube preamp with it? Even better have any of you using one or possibly have tried one? I am genuinely curious to how well this would work. Considering getting a Schiit Freya Plus just to try it or something like a Vincent SA-32.

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back