KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Dec 23, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #751 of 834
I could, if only I had an SR-009 and SR-009S to compare with!

The thing is, I'm not really interested in SR-009. I've heard it enough to know that it is way too bright, in an unnatural way, for my tastes. I did try the SR-009 with BHSE in the past and my ears hurt. The Carbon is less warmer and more aggressive than BHSE, so no doubt the Carbon/SR-009 will be even more ear rape. Also, as I stated in my previous post, I find even the Carbon/SR-007 slightly peaky. The SR-009 is brighter than SR-007, so again, the Carbon/SR-009 would be even brighter than what I have. That's a big nope.

I admit I'm a bit curious about the SR-009S, but from what I read about it so far, that it's improved from SR-009 but still retains its overall tonality, my expectations aren't really high.
If you have the Shangri-la Jr's amp around, I would be interested in the impression of treble smoothness difference between it and Carbon. Because Shangri-la Jr amp's treble is quite smooth.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #752 of 834
The measurements would depend on who your builder is and what case they are using - there is no standard size.

Thanks - I was mostly wondering about the latest one, with the smaller chassis, from Mjolnir Audio. Who else would be a good option to source one of these?

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #753 of 834
If you have the Shangri-la Jr's amp around, I would be interested in the impression of treble smoothness difference between it and Carbon. Because Shangri-la Jr's treble is quite smooth.

I don't have the Shangri-la Jr. amp around, nor do I know where I can get an audition or a loaner. If you have the amp or know anyone willing to send me a loaner, you're very much welcome.

Dec 23, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #755 of 834
The measurements would depend on who your builder is and what case they are using - there is no standard size.

Completely true. If it helps, I have Mjolnir Audio's Carbon Mini (Birigir). As far as I know this is now what he uses for all his Carbons (except the CC).

It's about 12 1/2 inch x 12 3/4 inch x 4 inch. I'd double-check with him to confirm any changes - especially if you have a tight fit. It also runs hot so needs adequate ventilation.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #758 of 834
Actually, I'm kind of blown away by the sound of the SR-009 on the Carbon I recently got from Soren. It really became light and day when I fed a balanced input into it from my RME ADI- 2 DAC. Suddenly, a lot of the brightness is more mellow and less fatiguing in the midtreble. I know a lot of it may be the better loudness but I really feel with this the Carbon is better able to control the SR-009. It already sounded great with my 007A's.

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #763 of 834
does anyone know how carbon compare to KGSSHV 450V Sanyo? thanks!

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #764 of 834
For me, I always enjoyed the SR007's better than the 009's on the KGSSHV. Some people have found the 009s thin or a bit rough in some mid treble, so I thought that was it. But I always ran single ended dacs going into it. For awhile after upgrading I still found about the same sound signature as I did on the KGSShv. It was only feeding the Carbon a balanced DAC from the RME A2 DAC that I noticed what I have to say subjectively is a big improvement in the 009 sound signature, particularly with vocals. Now you get higher gain from a balanced line so I don't know how much that might be impacting it, and I would encourage you to run balanced if you have the ability with your dac as I bet you would notice an improvement there on the KGSShv. But the KGSShv always made the 007's sing to me- to such an extent that more than once I had thought about selling my 009s.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #765 of 834
For me, I always enjoyed the SR007's better than the 009's on the KGSSHV. Some people have found the 009s thin or a bit rough in some mid treble, so I thought that was it. But I always ran single ended dacs going into it. For awhile after upgrading I still found about the same sound signature as I did on the KGSShv. It was only feeding the Carbon a balanced DAC from the RME A2 DAC that I noticed what I have to say subjectively is a big improvement in the 009 sound signature, particularly with vocals. Now you get higher gain from a balanced line so I don't know how much that might be impacting it, and I would encourage you to run balanced if you have the ability with your dac as I bet you would notice an improvement there on the KGSShv. But the KGSShv always made the 007's sing to me- to such an extent that more than once I had thought about selling my 009s.

Ofcourse for the 009 to be spitting into your ears, the only reason is because she demands more than that. So I agree with what you just said, but there are also a lot of fools who would argue that single ended is better than balanced

So, the 009 is the best there is. She is slightly better than 009s, just because she is the mother who is wiser and only wiser people would appreciate her where as 009s is the daughter who is more forgiven but is also...not as wise X_X. I kept saying this, and I will repeat , 009 is the best there is ATM, and if she is harsh, bright...and so on....there is something horribly wrong with your system. Unfortunately only you can track it down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back